Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Exposition Anniversary Medals

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 3, 2019 3:02AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Some exposition anniversary medals were made for the Columbian Exposition and the Pan American Exposition.

These particular ones have the obverse of HK-154 and the reverse of Eglit-55. These also have the initials "DRV" on them.

Anyone have information on these?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no information to add, but I do like the reverse of those medals...The gold is quite attractive. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks like a modern "COPY." Where is the incused stamp?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2019 9:35AM

@CaptHenway said:
    Sure looks like a modern "COPY." Where is the incused stamp?

It doesn’t to need it because it doesn’t meet the HPA’s definition of “imitation numismatic item” since it says 1992 on the obverse and no others appear to have been issued in 1992. I assume you are referencing the 1892/1893 originals and not other 1992 pieces.

I think obvious overreaches regarding the HPA is one reason it may have less teeth than one may like.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are quite interesting! I especially like the top one (silver?), as the toning really brings out the depth of the design. Much like this Anniversary medal:

• Options
    edited June 3, 2019 8:02PM

That's an incredible medal @cardinal . It looks so 3 dimensional, especially the faces, wings and arms.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file