Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PWCC reply to recent issues

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, these PWCC threads are like the field of dreams. If you build it, they will come.

• wow, what a scammer. Openly admits to shill bidding and now flipping cards with 10 known trimmers. What a mess he has made for himself and PSA. OucH!

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2019 11:00AM

@PaulMaul said:
    This ad is actually on the CGC webpage:

I like your taste in collectibles and style, PaulMaul, as you probably know. I remember well the brushups with CGC and pressing, pro and con around 2005 or so. Since then the comic market embraces pressing as par for the course to get the best possible appearance/grade for a comic -- which while still paper, is materially different than a baseball card in how its evaluated. Without adding solvents, color touch, reglossing, and especially not trimming -- a comic can be pressed to remove reading dimples, etc. and if no color breaking creases were originally present, it takes on a much better appearance and will generally grade higher and sell for more. Pressing is NOT a cure-all for color breaking creases, it can't repair tears, and so forth, it can only flatten and improve spine rolls. That's where the line in comics has been drawn, more or less, on what's acceptable and considered NOT restoration. Of course there are always some who will disagree.

Cards have proven to be a different animal, because PSA has from the start dinged pressing in the sense of "altered stock" -- and depending on the issue requiring pressing in the first place, a "properly" pressed card won't be detectable, unless clearly before and after hires images exist.

Without getting into whether pressing is acceptable -- I believe it is, but many will disagree -- I hate that it gets lumped into the idea of trimming being, in even the remotest sense, acceptable. It can't be and never will be acceptable to physically remove material from a factory-trimmed card to appear to be a higher grade. And it should absolutely be detectable, though it seems PSA and others have failed miserably and repeatedly at this. And this is fundamental. It is not a matter of slipping one past the goalie -- that would be understandable -- however dozens have slipped past and it calls into question, for me, whether we don't need to scrap that goaltender and get a new (well-trained and paying attention) kids in there.

This is a problem that won't easily be explained away. Bottom line, trimming is unacceptable and being unable to detect it is a bigger problem than the original sin of trimming in the first place.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

@originalisbest

I certainly agree trimming is way different and worse than pressing. While CGC failed to detect the Ewert microtrimming, at least no one including them thought missing it was acceptable.

I don’t like pressing, mostly for emotional reasons. For me the appeal of high grade items is that they are very close to their original state. Anything that undoes wear/damage, even if it creates a high grade appearance, just doesn’t give me the same thrill. Unless of course I am unaware the work was done. 🙂

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

are these current accusations grounds for ebay closing the PWCC account?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    @originalisbest

I certainly agree trimming is way different and worse than pressing. While CGC failed to detect the Ewert microtrimming, at least no one including them thought missing it was acceptable.

I don’t like pressing, mostly for emotional reasons. For me the appeal of high grade items is that they are very close to their original state. Anything that undoes wear/damage, even if it creates a high grade appearance, just doesn’t give me the same thrill. Unless of course I am unaware the work was done. 🙂

That's the rub for a lot of people, and I can definitely see it even though I don't have a problem with pressing IF it's well done. But I have seen my fair share of comic pressing disasters, done, I presume, by one of the amateurs out there. That's kind of what I meant by the really good pressers of comics who aren't prone to making things flat as a pancake, who are able to press a VG (for example) comic and it still looks natural, like a VG but minus a spine roll, etc.

None of that excuses a Cole Schave job (pressing that fubars the comics because the process was rushed) or reverse spine rolling (to hide spine flaws on the back.) But the Ewert microtrim scandal took the cake, and much as with the cards in question lately, before and after scans told the tale. Wonder if he and the current scissorhands fellow ever sit down and talk shop. Ewert was "banned" from ever submitting comics to CGC again, though you get the feeling he's still trying to ply his craft somehow.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭

@originalisbest said:

@PaulMaul said:
    This ad is actually on the CGC webpage:

I like your taste in collectibles and style, PaulMaul, as you probably know. I remember well the brushups with CGC and pressing, pro and con around 2005 or so. Since then the comic market embraces pressing as par for the course to get the best possible appearance/grade for a comic -- which while still paper, is materially different than a baseball card in how its evaluated. Without adding solvents, color touch, reglossing, and especially not trimming -- a comic can be pressed to remove reading dimples, etc. and if no color breaking creases were originally present, it takes on a much better appearance and will generally grade higher and sell for more. Pressing is NOT a cure-all for color breaking creases, it can't repair tears, and so forth, it can only flatten and improve spine rolls. That's where the line in comics has been drawn, more or less, on what's acceptable and considered NOT restoration. Of course there are always some who will disagree.

Cards have proven to be a different animal, because PSA has from the start dinged pressing in the sense of "altered stock" -- and depending on the issue requiring pressing in the first place, a "properly" pressed card won't be detectable, unless clearly before and after hires images exist.

Without getting into whether pressing is acceptable -- I believe it is, but many will disagree -- I hate that it gets lumped into the idea of trimming being, in even the remotest sense, acceptable. It can't be and never will be acceptable to physically remove material from a factory-trimmed card to appear to be a higher grade. And it should absolutely be detectable, though it seems PSA and others have failed miserably and repeatedly at this. And this is fundamental. It is not a matter of slipping one past the goalie -- that would be understandable -- however dozens have slipped past and it calls into question, for me, whether we don't need to scrap that goaltender and get a new (well-trained and paying attention) kids in there.

This is a problem that won't easily be explained away. Bottom line, trimming is unacceptable and being unable to detect it is a bigger problem than the original sin of trimming in the first place.

i dont do comics. but that is impressive

edited June 3, 2019 11:29AM
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭

I am coming late to the dance. Can anyone either explain or give me link which has the total explanation of whats going on with PWCC?

PackManInNC
  • RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

No. Keyword "accusations". They sell 50M per year on ebay. It will take a lot for ebay to boot them.

@RyansRust said:

@craig44 said:

No. Keyword "accusations". They sell 50M per year on ebay. It will take a lot for ebay to boot them.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1297351

@mexpo75 said:
    I am coming late to the dance. Can anyone either explain or give me link which has the total explanation of whats going on with PWCC?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Yes, right after they eliminate bid retractions. ;-)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RyansRust said:

@craig44 said:

It is my understanding that eBay will not allow fraudulent sellers. Now, the 50 mil/year will not go away, it would just be sold by different sellers. Same as when an airline goes under, those planes are not grounded, they are just purchased by other airlines and continue to fly

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

PSA has offered to review and buy back at market value any altered cards. Part of that process is incumbent upon the new owners to start the process by contacting PSA. Unclear if they will or even know that the cards in their possession are altered.

FWIW - no takers on the offer to bet, yet.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2019 2:12PM

@1970s said:
    So what is going to happen with all these trimmed cards in PSA holders. ? We know that there is a list with proof of such cards. We know who trimmed them. We know who sold them. We know who graded them. Is Moser going to reimburse all the buyers ? Is PSA going to reimburse them ? Are the cards just going to stay in those holders, even though they are altered ? PWCC looks like they get off for free on this concern ?

There are so many posts about this fluid situation all over right now. I think too much is still up in the air. There is solid evidence of some issues and tons of accusations and speculation about other stuff. I think it is best to let the dust settle a bit but I know that won't happen. There are folks that are avid, or should I say rabid, TPG haters and they would love nothing more than to see them take the fall. PWCC is not going to get off for free on this one. There are too many issues and evidence at this point. I have stated on another forum that I think PSA is taking the right stance, at this point, before issuing any type of public statement on the situation. You see everything Brent has done trying to get out in front of the situation and that hasn't worked out so well. Sad part is that even though there are a lot of cards affected, it's such a small percentage compared to the number of cards that have actually been holdered over time. I'm an optimist.....my hope is that this situation brings about some positive changes. I've always held the belief that a mistake corrected quickly and efficiently does more good to a reputation than constant good service. That, we seem to take for granted.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
    edited June 3, 2019 2:12PM

@lawyer05 said:

@RyansRust said:

@craig44 said:

Aware of that. Don't think ebay will read that thread. Think a conviction would be necessary for a seller that big. But I'm not too well versed on ebay laws. Aside from that they sell fake porcelain signs from India, fake silver bags from China etc daily and everyone I've reported, never got pulled.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Tough day for CLCT today. No obvious news to cause it.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think there will ever be a list of cards by PSA number to know if we have one of these cards?

PackManInNC

@mexpo75 said:
    Do you think there will ever be a list of cards by PSA number to know if we have one of these cards?

I assume someone will do at some point. It would be a very useful aid.

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

@mexpo75 said:

During the interview Brent from PWCC mentioned there is currently a project underway to compile that list and make it available to the public. He did mention that it was important that the managers of the project have no affiliation with PWCC -- it needs to be independent. And I totally agree with that.

• GilbeyGilbey Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I have cards starting at auction with the in a few days, I asked them to pull them and send back to me at my expense. Do you guys think they will? I know they will take a hit if they don't.

• Desert_Ice_SportsDesert_Ice_Sports Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

@Gilbey said:
    I have cards starting at auction with the in a few days, I asked them to pull them and send back to me at my expense. Do you guys think they will? I know they will take a hit if they don't.

That's a question I've been wondering for several days now... If Brent is smart, he'll honor every one of those requests so as not to make the situation worse... If PWCC wants any chance whatsoever to rebuild their brand, they're going to have to take a few steps back and start over from square one.

DesertIceSports.Com

• demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

@Gilbey said:

I would expect him to honor your request, but I doubt they'd take a hit if you let them ride. Even shoeless-joejackson could move cards for MV back in the day when boards were filled with threads about him; Brent's auctions should do fine.

• OldcardguyOldcardguy Posts: 36
    edited June 3, 2019 6:11PM

@demondeacs said:

@Gilbey said:

I would expect him to honor your request, but I doubt they'd take a hit if you let them ride. Even shoeless-joejackson could move cards for MV back in the day when boards were filled with threads about him; Brent's auctions should do fine.

Provided the shilling accounts, accounts used to overpay for examples that could be conserved still are operational, and people no longer having morals are still bidding they should go higher than market value.

• initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

@Gilbey said:

Good luck with that.....
    “Once the review period is closed, you waive any right to object to the auction listing for your item(s)”

I hope that they would do that for you
    But I think that they’ll keep their hands on any type of business right now

It’s been a total shartshow lately
    I had a round or two of consignments lined up, glad the collector in me procrastinated

• GilbeyGilbey Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@initialD said:

@Gilbey said:

Good luck with that.....
    “Once the review period is closed, you waive any right to object to the auction listing for your item(s)”

I hope that they would do that for you
    But I think that they’ll keep their hands on any type of business right now

It’s been a total shartshow lately
    I had a round or two of consignments lined up, glad the collector in me procrastinated

I only asked him to return the cards that haven't started yet. I will let the ones that started to run. I just feel it's not the right time to sell with them right now

• ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 351 ✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    I wonder how the people who paid up for HE and PQ are feeling now.

SOL

My Dad can beat up your Dad.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2019 8:27PM

@mexpo75 said:

Bunch of info on net54 and blowout forums. Here is a post with some Cert numbers in question.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1296884

• burghmanburghman Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2019 9:00PM

@mexpo75 said:

This page has a couple hundred listed, some with pics and cert numbers... http://www.sportscardradio.com/alert-fake-trimmed-altered-graded-cards-by-psa-or-bgs/

Jim

• _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

@burghman said:

@mexpo75 said:

This page has a couple hundred listed, some with pics and cert numbers... http://www.sportscardradio.com/alert-fake-trimmed-altered-graded-cards-by-psa-or-bgs/

Geezus! That list is crazy and proof to back it all up too.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@DeweyOxburger said:
    wow, what a scammer. Openly admits to shill bidding and now flipping cards with 10 known trimmers. What a mess he has made for himself and PSA. OucH!

Welcome to the forum

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2019 6:38AM

If someone does go to jail for shill bidding, they could have a rough time. I've heard that the roaches in jail always have first dibs on the sink. So if you need to shave in jail, there could be a delay.

In his interview he actually says there will be hundreds of these cards. I mean, if he has an attorney, they should be advising him not to state publicly that he knows there will be hundreds of these -- the message he is sending out is that he knows there are tons of these cards, yet he continued to sell and in some cases promote (via PQ or HE Stickers) these "problem" cards...

@DotStore said:
    In his interview he actually says there will be hundreds of these cards. I mean, if he has an attorney, they should be advising him not to state publicly that he knows there will be hundreds of these -- the message he is sending out is that he knows there are tons of these cards, yet he continued to sell and in some cases promote (via PQ or HE Stickers) these "problem" cards...

We ALL know there are hundreds, more likely thousands of altered cards in circulation already in slabs. For him to deny it would be foolish.

Their position is clearly stated that they are NOT a grading service (yes I know, stickers boo hoo) so unless you can prove he actually altered any cards, you're getting worked up about little or nothing.

That being said, it certainly looks to me like his business will either fail now or be seriously damaged.

People really do need to get over the whole sticker thing.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

@DotStore said:

We ALL know there are hundreds, more likely thousands of altered cards in circulation already in slabs. For him to deny it would be foolish.

Their position is clearly stated that they are NOT a grading service (yes I know, stickers boo hoo) so unless you can prove he actually altered any cards, you're getting worked up about little or nothing.

That being said, it certainly looks to me like his business will either fail now or be seriously damaged.

You are missing the point. If he admits he knew about the "doctored" cards, and then he also assigned his sticker to cards he knew that were doctored -- that is a major problem. I personally don't mind the stickers and would pay more for a stickered card. Just as long as it was not one of the doctored cards...

• ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 351 ✭✭✭

Knowledge is power. If you abuse your power, you become topical.

My Dad can beat up your Dad.

• _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Future stickers will just say "sticker" for those that need that extra warm feeling.

@DotStore said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DotStore said:

You are missing the point. If he admits he knew about the "doctored" cards, and then he also assigned his sticker to cards he knew that were doctored -- that is a major problem. I personally don't mind the stickers and would pay more for a stickered card. Just as long as it was not one of the doctored cards...

Again, you are seeing/hearing things I am not.

Repeating what I said (not that it will do any good) we ALL KNOW that there are cards in holders that are altered, so that means no matter where you buy one, it may be altered. So if you are SELLING graded cards you could be selling altered cards.

I am not saying this guy is innocent here, in fact I would bet he's not. But he's always got that "we are not a grading company" to fall back on. Whether you believe it or not, he's going to say the card was authenticated by the experts and since he defers to them, graded cards (even ones that fool the TPG's) are authentic.

So, any previous sales that have concluded are "covered", the only way he can be caught, is if you can catch him "in the act". I have not seen this yet.

Has he admitted that he knew PRIOR to selling if a card he listed was altered, even though it was graded?

Evidence and suspicion is NOT proof.

I am not missing a thing here. He's trying to be "cute" here and I think he has "covered his a$$" his business is going to suffer greatly and possibly fail. I am assuming his "vault" idea is going to go down in flames.

Have to get to work. Looks like a beautiful day to deliver pizza!

@detroitfan2 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DotStore said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DotStore said:

Again, you are seeing/hearing things I am not.

Repeating what I said (not that it will do any good) we ALL KNOW that there are cards in holders that are altered, so that means no matter where you buy one, it may be altered. So if you are SELLING graded cards you could be selling altered cards.

I am not saying this guy is innocent here, in fact I would bet he's not. But he's always got that "we are not a grading company" to fall back on. Whether you believe it or not, he's going to say the card was authenticated by the experts and since he defers to them, graded cards (even ones that fool the TPG's) are authentic.

So, any previous sales that have concluded are "covered", the only way he can be caught, is if you can catch him "in the act". I have not seen this yet.

Has he admitted that he knew PRIOR to selling if a card he listed was altered, even though it was graded?

Evidence and suspicion is NOT proof.

I am not missing a thing here. He's trying to be "cute" here and I think he has "covered his a$$" his business is going to suffer greatly and possibly fail. I am assuming his "vault" idea is going to go down in flames.

Have to get to work. Looks like a beautiful day to deliver pizza!

There is a difference between:

(A) putting a high end sticker on a card that you do not know is altered but feel is high end;

(B) buying a card, altering that card, getting that card graded, then selling that card; and

(C) buying a card, altering that card, getting that card graded, putting a high end sticker on the card, then selling the card.

That is all @DotStore is trying to point out. Some people have an issue with (A), many do not. Nearly everyone has a problem with (B). And (C) is just an overall cold blooded kick in the nuts. Maybe you got that, maybe not. Nothing to get all huffy about.

I am not huffy at all.

B and C (and A, for that matter) are all of course wrong. I really don't care if you kick me in the nuts AFTER you have killed me.

The seller (if guilty) simply MUST put the sticker on an altered card if it appears high end or people would wonder why he didn't.

Also (still not hufffy) I will again state that I am not in pwcc's corner here, neither have I decided they are guilty of altering cards. It DOES look like they were certainly profiting off of altered cards.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brendanb438 I made a little four-star adjustment to your post ;-) Thank you for your post.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there's a federal investigation related to this case?

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PADIdiver said:

I know some on net54 have stated they’ve contacted them.

Kevin

@PADIdiver said:

I saw a tweet that showed through website Analytics (which tracks visitors to a site) they could see someone from the FBI and other interested parties were visiting their site that discussed the this issue...