Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Confederate cent better images

TinmaniaTinmania Posts: 7
edited June 8, 2019 6:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have a Dilemma regarding the confederate cents in my possession. I read that the Bashlow restrikes were double thickness and I do have a thick one but I have the same coin obviously severely tarnished and it’s the thickness of a normal penny and probably not copper I’m posting some pics. If anyone can shed any light on what these two coins actually are and why the differences and if they have any value. Posting better pics.

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing I will say is your thin one could be copper...just corroded.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2019 4:41PM

We need better pictures. The thin one could be a real one or it could just be a counterfeit or copy. "Brashlow restrikes" aren't the only copies ever made of these.

You don't say why you think it's not copper, but there are lead and tin copies.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are lots of non-Bashlow copies.

• Options

Oh! Ok. First time I’ve heard that. Thanks!

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2019 6:32PM

@JBK said:

I have a copy that my brother used as a pocket piece for a couple of years - it looks convincingly like an original 1862 cent.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bashlow produced limited numbers of those in other metals and materials. Yours may be one of those.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tinmania .... Welcome aboard.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@291fifth said:
    Bashlow produced limited numbers of those in other metals and materials. Yours may be one of those.

Might be, but I think those are also on the thick planchets.

Also, I believe the off-metal strikes were sold in custom Capitol Plastics cases. It could happen that someone removed it but not very likely, I would think.

I have one of the tin strikes. It has the details and mintage printed on the holder.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, there are many non-Bashlow fakes. Can't tell a thing about this piece from these photographs.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting! ...and welcome to the boards. Very interesting first post and I'm waiting for the experts on Civil War coinage to weigh in.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of looks like a cast copy of a bashlow piece. Does it have an edge seam?

• Options

@SaorAlba said:

@JBK said:

I have a copy that my brother used as a pocket piece for a couple of years - it looks convincingly like an original 1862 cent.

@SaorAlba said:

@JBK said:

• Options
    edited June 15, 2019 9:48AM

I posted better resolution pics. Also wondering why some are dated 1862 and mine 1861. Thanks for any consideration. Seems very bazaar to me.

• Options

1862 ones are definitely fantasy strikes.

Your new pics show a thick coin like a Bashlow restrike. Where is the thin one?

• Options

The new pics I posted are of a penny the same thickness as a standard penny

• Options

Ok let’s try this. Hers the thick and the thin side by side.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The piece in the OP is a very poor replica. :(

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. A base metal non-Lovett replica.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2019 8:06PM

What did you mean the OP? Is one of them a good replica? I don’t know coin speak.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tinmania said:
    What did you mean the OP? Is one of them a good replica? I don’t know coin speak.

OP can mean “original post” (first post of the thread) or “original poster” the person who posted the first post. So it any reference to OP basically means you and/or your first post.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file