Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MS 63 Morgan Dollar??????

I came across this coin and was somewhat surprised at the Grade so wanted to share. I am a new member and I utilize the tools PCGS provides like Photograde before I submit coins for slabbing but this just makes me question the entire process.

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2019 6:41PM

The worst reverse strike I've ever seen on one of these. It's too dark to see the obverse striking very well. Yeah, for $79 just about ANY other MS63 1887 would be a better coin. They don't all come that flat. That 63 looks like a $40-$50 coin to me....that would only trade at sight-unseen money. It's also possible that coin was replaced in that holder. A lot of work for not much gain though.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO your better off buying a 64 for that price which is a little nuts to me. The coin looks like a real poor strike and eye appeal. Heck for 100 110 you can get yourself a nice 65.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

With pics that bad what can you really tell about the coin.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are slightly better images -- but they just make the coin look worse. Don't waste your money.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics are poor and look like they were from a scanner.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Dreverett1Dreverett1 Posts: 79 ✭✭

I don’t plan on buying this. I’m just new to PCGS and I’m a little confused that a grade can be given to a coin in this shape. Not mine, not buying. I just Got a couple grades back that are closer to what’s on the photograde application. Still trying to understand the whole toning and eye appeal pieces. I like my toning seems more natural but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

After looking at the coin a second time. The reverse is actually a struck through error. Probably a grease filled die. I can't really tell very much about the obverse, but from what I can see it looks ok. Overall I think it is more of the crappy pics and with the toning it just makes the coin look terrible.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's almost like grading from a photo can be difficult at times.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS = mint state. It does not say that the coin is perfect, but just that it has not circulated. Apparently, per PCGS, this coin has not circulated and is MS. Not anything high MS mind you, just a 63, which is pretty average for a MS Morgan. Strike or error (strike through grease or whatever) does not come into play at these lower MS grades..
    I think PCGS got it right. Buy it, examine it and then submit for an error added to the label and increase the value substantially.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grade is mint state 62 due to the flat strike and dark ugly toning. Hard to tell from the photos but I'm assuming that the fields and devices are very smooth, which may have accounted for the PCGS 63 grade.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some coins - particularly in pictures - just look bad.... and this one fits that description. Not one I would consider... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 5:30AM

Why did you submit the coins above? I assume you are aware they are worth less than the cost of slabbing. Before you submit anything else, take some time to look at a lot of coins in person, if possible. Also check Coinfacts or auction websites like Heritage and Legend. You can learn how to grade by looking at already-graded coins. It’s a lot cheaper that way!

Coins at the same grade can have vastly different appearances. A coin can have clean surfaces but poor luster and only grade MS62. You could also have a coin with great luster but some big hits receive the same grade. Slabbed coins can be undergraded or (more frequently) overgraded - the services don’t always get it right but their mistakes on one end get resubmitted while the others will be entombed.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:
    Why did you submit the coins above? I assume you are aware they are worth less than the cost of slabbing. Before you submit anything else, take some time to look at a lot of coins in person, if possible. Also check Coinfacts or auction websites like Heritage and Legend. You can learn how to grade by looking at already-graded coins. It’s a lot cheaper that way!

Coins at the same grade can have vastly different appearances. A coin can have clean surfaces but poor luster and only grade MS62. You could also have a coin with great luster but some big hits receive the same grade. Slabbed coins can be undergraded or (more frequently) overgraded - the services don’t always get it right but their mistakes on one end get resubmitted while the others will be entombed.

THIS!

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 12:01PM

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe he bought the extra black space around those 1889s ? (Please crop before posting stuff....) :neutral:

• Options
    dave700xdave700x Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

@morgandollar1878 said:
    After looking at the coin a second time. The reverse is actually a struck through error. Probably a grease filled die. I can't really tell very much about the obverse, but from what I can see it looks ok. Overall I think it is more of the crappy pics and with the toning it just makes the coin look terrible.

This, quite possibly VAM-3 of which grease filled die examples exist.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file