Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of these quarter rolls with West Point at the end?

Skrill90Skrill90 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

Do you think theyre worth the risk?
What are the chances these are all W? or have more than 1 W at the end?
I don't want to end up with salted rolls.
What are you opinions/experiences with it?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5338461489&mpre=https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-W-Quarter-American-Memorial-Park-UNC-BU-Quarter-Roll-w-W-ENDER/392298636250?hash=item5b56d223da:g:5toAAOSwEShc358R

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no way to know if those are salted or not, roll the dice and take your chances if its worth it to you. There was a forum member selling a few rolls like these on the bst very recently for $50ea, I wonder if these are the very same rolls.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Salted seems better for pretzels than rolls.
    Maybe cinnamon...or caramel...?

• Options

PS: The photos do not show a "W" mintmark coin at the end of the roll. Further, the seller name, " redneck-stuff-4-u," raises questions.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Skrill90 said:
    I don't want to end up with salted rolls.
    What are you opinions/experiences with it?

No different than the "original" rolls from likes of First National Federal Mint Exchange Bank and Whathaveyou of Carson City that show a CC dollar at one end. Never good for the buyer. No exceptions. Ever.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 5:45AM

There are no Ws in the Lowell "P" rolls, I know this first hand from searching at least ten boxes of nothing but new shiny Lowells. Lowell Ws were released after all the Lowell P&Ds were shipped from their respective mints. Because of their late availability from the West Point Mint, Lowell Ws were mixed in with the Mariana rolls along with the Mariana Ws. For this reason I would pay no premium for Lowell rolls.

End coins tend to suffer rolling machine damage. I would not knowingly buy an "ender." Ratio of Ws to non Ws is claimed to be about 1 W for every 200 non Ws. There should be no full rolls of Ws as the Ws got mixed with the P&Ds. My searches of new Mariana boxes (50 - forty coin rolls) have averaged about 14 Ws per box. While I have come across it, odds are very low that any one Mariana roll will contain more than one W.

Those searching boxes should note that if the ends do not indicate a roll to be a "Mariana" roll, any possible W in the otherwise dirty quarter roll has been overlooked, circulated and then re-rolled along with the "used" quarters. Note that the virgin quarter rolls contain some dirty quarters; probably got thrown in during the rolling process.

Third issue of the Ws, Guam War in the Pacific, have been mixed with the Guam P&Ds at the P & D mints and are being released to the Fed branch banks June 3 in the large 200,000 coin ballistic bags for release to the armored carriers who supply the banks. Many middlemen involved between the mint and the local banks, so yes, there is a chance of insider foul play along the distribution route.

FWIW, the Lowell and Mariana Ws were released at the same time and placed in Mariana rolls. PCGS pops surprisingly show about nine Lowell Ws graded for every one Mariana W. Where all the Mariana Ws are remains a mystery. I suspect most of them are still sitting in Fed Reserve branches waiting to be rolled. I have heard, but not confirmed, that rolls purchased directly from the Fed branches involve a premium. For this reason most boxes are the dirty old quarters getting constantly picked up from the local banks rerolled at the armored carrier locations at a much lower premium. Do not forget the armored carriers do not provide their services free to the local banks.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

is this a one year thingy?

• Options
    edited May 31, 2019 11:26AM

Tomorrow is the last day for early find attribution for the AMs. Lowell’s was 24 May.

What does this mean? It means if you find either of these two W quarters and want to get it slabbed then they will be slabbed as a “standard” 2019-W quarter. With no attribution for first or early find.

https://www.pcgs.com/2019quarterquest?utm_source=PCGS&utm_medium=spotlight&utm_campaign=2019 Quarter Quest&utm_content=quarter_quest_2019

Onward.

Edit to add: Unless you get the AM’s in the mail and postmarked NLT 1 Jun.

To add to @derryb ‘s excellent explanation. The release of the Guam’s War in the Pacific National Memorial quarter is to the Feds. Then Feds/contractors to banks. Then to you. If there is a back log of 25c then it might be awhile before we see any W War’s.

Exception if anyone has the $$ then you can pickup a bulk order from the D or P mints.

All you need is $51,500 and provide your own truck to haul the bag of quarters.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/bulk-purchase-program-landing.html#atb

• Options

@johnny9434 said:

As it currently stands. Plans include the three remaining National Park quarters for 2019. There are release dates for them posted in one of the W threads.

• Options

@derryb said:

@johnny9434 said:

As it currently stands. Plans include the three remaining National Park quarters for 2019. There are release dates for them posted in one of the W threads.

Schedule through 2021 for the ATB quarters.

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/america-the-beautiful-quarters

• Options
    edited May 31, 2019 11:38AM

@Hemispherical said:

@derryb said:

@johnny9434 said:

Schedule through 2021 for the ATB quarters.

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/america-the-beautiful-quarters

While the Natonal Park quarter program runs through 2021, the mint has announced the W program for only the remainder of 2019. They may or may not continue it, wait and see.

Linky

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

All you need is $51,500 and provide your own truck to haul the bag of quarters.

and a way to dispose of over $49,000 in loose quarters.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth the risk? .................no.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Can a "Mint wrapped" bag be slabbed?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Skrill90 said:
    What are the chances these are all W?

How much do individual pieces sell for? Would you sell a full roll of W mms for the price in the eBay listing you linked?

Answer these questions first, and I believe you will know what the best course of action is.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bidiot bait on feeBay.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Skrill90 said:

I wouldn’t hold my breath.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass on these...For years people have been selling 'salted' rolls of coins on ebay.... a standard scam so common, most people just pass the offers by..... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file