Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Was it really worth it....

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

To send a private offer for $10 less than the original price (of $375), especially when it is the day after the 10% eBay bonus bucks offer? :#

In general has anyone had much success with the private offer program from eBay?

For me it hasn’t moved the needle much as most of the offers I’ve received are barely less than the initial price and the one offer I’ve sent resulted in an unpaid item case (buyer accepted and then proceeded to disappear from eBay).

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is usually a response to a low offer by the buyer by the seller... Not sure in this case however. Seems like the coin might be priced high? Not sure...

• Options

@thebigeng said:
    This is usually a response to a low offer by the buyer by the seller... Not sure in this case however. Seems like the coin might be priced high? Not sure...

This wasn’t a normal best offer and I have never made an offer on the item. It’s a (newer) eBay program that allows sellers to send an offer to all people who are watching the item.

My only involvement with this item is adding it to my watchlist. And yes I consider it priced optimistically.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Well, I did make an offer a bit below the offered price and it was rejected, only to receive an email about a week later that the price was dropped much further below my offer. Interesting times.

The only logical reason I could see would be that the seller had just listed the item at the time of your offer and didn’t want to discount it right away (hoping there would be more interest at a higher price). When that interest didn’t materialize, they dropped the price.

I’ve experienced this before. I had a newly listed nickel where someone made an offer that was fair but less than I wanted. I countered and they passed. No other interest ever developed, including the original person passing when I lowered it to their initial offer. Eventually I did sell the nickel for less than that first offer. In retrospect, I should have accepted the first offer. However, I’ve also had items where I passed on an early offer and then received full price not long after. So it isn’t always clear cut what the best action should be when it comes to early offers (now if something has been sitting for a while, that is another case).

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a $400 coin, I might make $40. So, if you look at it that way, he's offering you 25% of his net profit.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2019 9:33AM

Not so much on high ticket items as coins but many successful transactions on collectibles / household item etc.
    They don't seem to give much discount on coins ..... $10 of $365 is not really worth the what they called PRIVATE offer IMHO :)

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2019 10:08AM

On the surface no but it could motivate / remind buyer if they should pursue this if it’s a bucks day.

For the seller in a coin at $100 / CDN bid $100, priced at CPG of $130 moving it at $120 may be attractive. Bay selling exp likely 15pct of sales for him so he is not making much but if sales slow would be go for him. This seller show pricing bid plus 20 pct retail / 10 pct above bid wholesale since no eBay fees. Table fees average about $150 to $225 for him sometimes he clears sometimes not.

Seller on above eBay transaction is making only $2: sales $120-cos $100 = GM $20. GM $20 - bay selling exp of $18 = $2 Net Profit. Not much incentive for him. You can apply your average eBay selling exp pct to above.

Big ticket coins (say priced over $500) I usually sell from my table at shows (tight margin) only as the bay fees, other factors make it too expensive sell there.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only received this type of offer on items that are way overpriced. I recently received a similar offer which after I looked at it I just as quickly trashed the email, that item is still for sale on my watchlist and still very overpriced.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    On the surface no but it could motivate / remind buyer if they should pursue this if it’s a bucks day.

That’s a good point. It’s too bad the seller waited a day after the 10% bonus bucks ended to send the offer though.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    On a $400 coin, I might make $40. So, if you look at it that way, he's offering you 25% of his net profit.

That could be true. However, that is unlikely to sway many buyers. I’d guess more people would find a $10 off $375 laughable/not worth it than would consider completing the purchase (unless as mentioned earlier the person has a bonus bucks offer and was already almost ready to buy).

By the way, the item has been available for a while as I recall seeing it for the same price at some point in 2018.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only submitted three offers... two were accepted, one rejected....seems a viable route when item appears over priced. The one offer that was rejected ended with the item not selling....not sure if it was relisted....When I submit an offer, it is usually around 20% cheaper... because that is where my research tells me it should be priced. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file