Home Precious Metals
Options

China flooding E- Bay with phoney silver eagles again......

Almost any year available now through the China sellers. When you see them selling at 12 and 14 each and they don't list metal content. Hate to be a novice collector without having access to a forum like this. Reported several times, Ebay just wants the money.
Keep stacking. Bought another 100 oz's today from GSM at 15.22 shipped.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obvious what is gonna be counterfeit with seller in China. Real threat is the unknowing US resellers who relist them never knowing they are counterfeit and using stock authentic pics.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Obvious what is gonna be counterfeit with seller in China. Real threat is the unknowing US resellers who relist them never knowing they are counterfeit and using stock authentic pics.

I'm guessing most US resellers know they're fake. You can see them for sale at many US flea markets.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really hurts people who think they are getting silver at a bargain price.... If it seems to good to be true...it is a China fake...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

another reason to avoid eagles. 10 years from now when you go to sell every buyer is going to open every roll of that monster box and look at every coin for their protection.

Junk silver ftw

• Options

I have not yet seen the boxes/COA's from the Mint counterfeited.... but it will not surprise me when it happens... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have a picture or link?

• Options

@ricko said:
    I have not yet seen the boxes/COA's from the Mint counterfeited.... but it will not surprise me when it happens... Cheers, RickO

you can buy empty monster boxes and tubes and fill them easy enough

• Options

@AcesCracked said:
    Almost any year available now through the China sellers. When you see them selling at 12 and 14 each and they don't list metal content. Hate to be a novice collector without having access to a forum like this. Reported several times, Ebay just wants the money.
    Keep stacking. Bought another 100 oz's today from GSM at 15.22 shipped.

Do you have a link to a listing? Happy to do my part and report and take em down!!

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

China!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

China wouldn't hesitate to execute a counterfeiter of their own bullion if they caught one in China.

Likewise for anyone importing fake bullion into China.

Perhaps the same consequences should be standard practice here for Chinese-made fake bullion.

It's not like these guys can't be tracked.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 7:51PM

@bronco2078 said:
    another reason to avoid eagles. 10 years from now when you go to sell every buyer is going to open every roll of that monster box and look at every coin for their protection.

Junk silver ftw

For stackesr, this has to be the existential question: Will the bullion I buy today be trusted tomorrow? If not, what can I buy today that is trusted tomorrow?

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@ricko said:

you can buy empty monster boxes and tubes and fill them easy enough

Or buy the real thing, sell them and fill the empties with your counterfeits.

• Options

@ARCO.... As far as bullion being trusted in the future, I stick to U.S. bullion and believe that will hold the trust of most knowledgeable buyers....Yes, I know, the counterfeiters are getting better... but not yet perfect. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ARCO said:

@bronco2078 said:

Junk silver ftw

For stackesr, this has to be the existential question: Will the bullion I buy today be trusted tomorrow? If not, what can I buy today that is trusted tomorrow?

yup I choose junk silver. Im suspicious of the insane variety of 1 oz rounds . There are too many people buying weird rounds , 5 ounce sandblasted colorized limited edition something or others , stackers all think they invented the better mousetrap and meanwhile junk is disappearing .

Maybe junk is not going to be in demand , but there at least wont be more of it. It is diminishing , idiots melt it to strike year of the racoon rounds. Other idiots buy the racoon rounds.

Maybe China will counterfeit washington quarters at some point, at least we can make them earn the money they steal.

Stackers are not very bright , they fall for the latest shiny thing , heck there are people talking themselves into buying giant mercury dimes made of paladium. There is no cure for that sort of illness just shake your head and give thanks it aint you :#

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@ARCO said:

@bronco2078 said:

yup I choose junk silver.
    Maybe junk is not going to be in demand, but there at least wont be more of it.

At one point is was me.
    I purchased a bunch of odd pieces of silver for a while.
    At first I enjoyed having them, but as time went on, and they produced more and more rounds, poured objects and other stuff, it all began to lose its appeal to me.

There were a few odd items I bought specifically for my kids and so I decided to just give that stuff to them now (which was about two years ago). Then I did something I never planned to do, I sold off the rest of the misc stuff. Anything that wasn't a silver eagle, a highly regarded brand name bar or junk silver got sold. I did the best I could to time a small pop in the price of silver. Not a pop that was sufficiently high enough to make a profit on every piece or to even break even on some of the stuff I had acquired but at that point I just didn't care, I wanted to be completely divested out of the misc. crap I foolishly picked up. I waited with the cash in hand for a while in the hopes that silver spot would become more attractively priced and when I felt it was the right time I began putting the funds back into junk silver over a period of time and I've never been happier.

Today, I only buy junk silver, with the exception of a couple rolls of silver eagles, which I have been picking up every year for long time.

Of course, it's different strokes for different folks, but it's what works for me.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can some one please drop a asteroid on top of those Chinese Counterfeit factories.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2019 8:55AM

I did something I never planned to do, I sold off the rest of the misc stuff. Anything that wasn't a silver eagle, a highly regarded brand name bar or junk silver got sold. I did the best I could to time a small pop in the price of silver. Not a pop that was sufficiently high enough to make a profit on every piece or to even break even on some of the stuff I had acquired but at that point I just didn't care, I wanted to be completely divested out of the misc. crap I foolishly picked up. I waited with the cash in hand for a while in the hopes that silver spot would become more attractively priced and when I felt it was the right time I began putting the funds back into junk silver over a period of time and I've never been happier.

+++1

I wouldn't call the misc. crap entirely foolish, but I wholeheartedly agree with the realization that you and Bronco have arrived at regarding junk silver. I've recently added platinum and gold to top off my existing positions. I did buy some Maples of both flavors because of the more recent years having the additional security features that will be hard to counterfeit, but Buffs were my most recent preference. They are nice coins.

I don't think that the ATBs and Silver Eagles I own will be difficult to sell when the time comes, but my next buy will indeed be junk silver, probably within the next week or so.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.