Home U.S. Coin Forum

possible bronze nickel

my daughter found this nickel that appears to be on a bronze planchet. It weighs 4.9 grams . it is dirty on the front i was worried about scratching it if i tried to clean it for a better picture. I don't see any other errors. Is it worth taking it in to have looked at?

looked at?

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 11:39AM

Why not? Take it to your local coin store and find yourself a nice nickel and use the above nickel to buy it.

@mamanewbie recommend while your at the coin store get yourself a copy of the Cherrypickers’ guide. You and your daughter will have fun trying to find some of the coins listed in the guide.

Good luck and always have fun in this hobby.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks normal (with circulation wear) to me. But good pics and good use of the scale to help get a quick assessment. That's at least half the battle!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get both CPG's for your daughter. Roll hunting is interesting and fun. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• thank you all for taking the time to answer. i had just never seen a nickle look that dark brown and wasn't getting any good answers with online searching

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mamanewbie said:
    thank you all for taking the time to answer. i had just never seen a nickle look that dark brown and wasn't getting any good answers with online searching

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mamanewbie...Welcome aboard.... Good advice above... get a Redbook and the CPG... They are great resources and add to the fun of coin collecting....Cheers, RickO

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks grey to me probable the picture or my eyes. I would say maybe improper planchet mix or environmental damage. Did you soak in acetone or gentle soup bath? Don’t use any anti- bacterial soup it will leave a residue on it that is difficult to remove.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    It looks grey to me probable the picture or my eyes. I would say maybe improper planchet mix or environmental damage. Did you soak in acetone or gentle soup bath? Don’t use any anti- bacterial soup it will leave a residue on it that is difficult to remove.

Chicken Noodle? :D

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    Did you soak in acetone or gentle soup bath?

Does it matter what brand? Campbell's? Progresso? Or can I use store brand? :p

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get the Cherry Pickers Guide, It great Fun and Educational
    The First one I bought was paid for by a DDO I found as well
    as a nice Steak Dinner for my wife and I.
    Welcome Aboard & Happy Hunting

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. 😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found nickels that colour that have aged in the polluted Potomac river.

Nickels though they are called such, are only 25% nickel - the rest is copper. With elemental exposure the copper dominates.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mamanewbie said:
    thank you all for taking the time to answer. i had just never seen a nickle look that dark brown and wasn't getting any good answers with online searching

Some dark ones can be good. I have a roll of what is referred to as black beauties. May the hunt continue

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file