Home Sports Talk
Options

Child struck by line drive at last night's Cubs-Astros game. More nets needed.

13»

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:
    So you guys that are against nets, why are you not advocating for their removal behind home plate?

Now you are just being silly.

Ah, so there is a line where nets are OK and where they're not. What is the exact, specific spot where they are OK and how is that determined?

• Options
    edited June 26, 2019 2:51PM

@softparade said:

@Tabe said:
    So you guys that are against nets, why are you not advocating for their removal behind home plate?

So you guys that are for nets, why are you not advocating for their implementation in the stratosphere to keep meteors out?

The arguments being made against nets are that; 1) They are unnecessary because fans should just pay attention and move when a ball comes their way; 2) They ruin the viewing experience.

Since there are already nets in place in parts of the ballpark - like behind home - what makes them different that the nets are "OK"? If it's the distance from the plate, then that's a tacit admission that, at some point, fans can't possibly move fast enough to get out of the way. So where is the line? Clearly, folks have such a spot in mind, so where is it? And how was that spot selected?

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@softparade said:

@Tabe said:

So you guys that are for nets, why are you not advocating for their implementation in the stratosphere to keep meteors out?

The arguments being made against nets are that; 1) They are unnecessary because fans should just pay attention and move when a ball comes their way; 2) They ruin the viewing experience.

Since there are already nets in place in parts of the ballpark - like behind home - what makes them different that the nets are "OK"? If it's the distance from the plate, then that's a tacit admission that, at some point, fans can't possibly move fast enough to get out of the way. So where is the line? Clearly, folks have such a spot in mind, so where is it? And how was that spot selected?

Every MLB game that I attended in my life was at the same place...Tiger Stadium on Michigan and Trumbull. Probably 2 games a year from 1964 until I left the city in 1995. So 60 or so games and it never crossed my mind that i was in danger of getting killed or seriously injured by a foul ball. I sat behind the plate, behind the visiting dugout and in the outfield. I also didn't have a smartphone as I was there to watch the game, not play candy crush (and they were not invented yet.).

What was a concern though, was the walk to my car at the end of a night game as the neighborhood was not all that savory. I also had a moderate concern of a flat tire on the Lodge which being in ghetto area, could prove fatal.

Your fears are misplaced Tabe. Risk from a hit ball or broken bat are not worth destroying the ball park experience.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2019 4:49PM

@Coinstartled said:

Your fears are misplaced Tabe. Risk from a hit ball or broken bat are not worth destroying the ball park experience.

I attended many a game at Michigan & Trumbull myself. I remember being amazed that the front row of seats behind home plate were actually lower than the field. And that neighborhood... But I digress...

What I'm saying is that the "ballpark experience" isn't destroyed by nets. That's already proven by the fact that hundreds of millions of people have sat behind home plate without their experience being destroyed. I myself have done just that the last 5 nights and will be doing it again tonight and tomorrow night.

I saw that you also went back to the "not paying attention" thing. Again, "not paying attention" is a red herring. People who ARE paying attention can easily get hit. PLAYERS get hit and they're paying attention. Maybe Bryce Florie should've just been paying attention, right?

But that's also not really the point. The point is that nets are accepted in certain areas. So what are your specific, objective criteria for determining exactly where to stop having nets? You've acknowledged that behind home is OK. Where does is stop being OK?

• Options

Only sat behind the HP netting once. Great vantage point but the obstruction was distracting. never again. Kind of didn't like the fact that there was no chance to catch a foul and would have no problem if the barrier was removed in that area as well.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Only sat behind the HP netting once. Great vantage point but the obstruction was distracting. never again. Kind of didn't like the fact that there was no chance to catch a foul and would have no problem if the barrier was removed in that area as well.

OK, fair enough. That's a pretty extreme point of view ("hey, go ahead and remove them all") on this subject, I think even you would be concede, but at least you're very consistent. I can disagree with you all day but appreciate the consistency.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2019 5:39PM

Behind the plate are BACKSTOPS and have been baked in forever. That’s the area where it’s actually needed. Not down the f’ing lines. What a monstrosity this has become. The pussyfication of society just marches on and on and on. Eventually, there will be ZERO responsibility on the consumer to make a choice. Choices will be made FOR us. God Bless America.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Give it up, Tabe. You can’t change the minds of the willfully ignorant.

Kudos to the White Sox, Nationals, and Dodgers for taking the logical next step in their protecting their fans. Those that can’t get used to the minor distraction of the nets will yell at the clouds and stop going to the games. They’ll be easily replaced by fans who understand and are thankful that their safety is a concern to the team and players they came to see.

• Options

Yup, that’s what we are doing TNP. Yelling at the clouds. I bet you think you are so smart, enlightened, and woke.

Think again son.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@TNP777 said:
    Give it up, Tabe. You can’t change the minds of the willfully ignorant.

Kudos to the White Sox, Nationals, and Dodgers for taking the logical next step in their protecting their fans. Those that can’t get used to the minor distraction of the nets will yell at the clouds and stop going to the games. They’ll be easily replaced by fans who understand and are thankful that their safety is a concern to the team and players they came to see.

Tune into the debate. The ten misfits are making the world safer for us all.

:/

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

They asked the question and they all agreed that nets are needed everywhere. At the ballpark, at work, at home, on the rivers and valleys, on the mountaintops, on the land and sea. We must have more nets.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

Now you are just being silly.

Ah, so there is a line where nets are OK and where they're not. What is the exact, specific spot where they are OK and how is that determined?

I think we have enough, but it looks like we will certainly be getting more.

Not that big of a deal for me, if a couple of people don't get hit with balls that is a good thing.

The "Ballpark Experience" is not being destroyed but it is being diminished

@Coinstartled said:

@keets said:
    I was at a game in Cleveland when a ball bounced off the head of Jose Canseco and went over the fence for a Homerun. nobody ever suggested that the players needed to wear protection.

In that instance...the ball needed protection.

What was more "juiced" the ball or Jose?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@softparade said:
    Behind the plate are BACKSTOPS and have been baked in forever. That’s the area where it’s actually needed. Not down the f’ing lines. What a monstrosity this has become. The pussyfication of society just marches on and on and on. Eventually, there will be ZERO responsibility on the consumer to make a choice. Choices will be made FOR us. God Bless America.

Like I asked, what is the line where they stop being needed? What are the exact, specific criteria for determining that? Clearly, you have some in mind, so what are they?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:
    Yup, that’s what we are doing TNP. Yelling at the clouds. I bet you think you are so smart, enlightened, and woke.

Think again son.

Dan it’s not worth arguing with certain people, if it’s a trendy subject then they are immediately on board until the next trendy topic pops up and regardless if they ever gave it a thought before or not they will be carrying the torch screaming about it with the masses. Moths to a flame

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

a large percentage of the "fans" who are outraged by a single child being struck don't attend games, aren't MLB fans at all and are of the bleeding-heart-tree-hugger genre. they are made easily indignant by things such as this because it makes them feel, and they will move along to the next "event" as soon as it pops up in the news.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

The big question should be - what does AOC think of this?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

The people that need to read every word of this won't, because they're convinced that people like me hug trees and have bleeding hearts, that we're pussies trying to force our pussification on manly men and will ruin yet another manly game. Despite that, I encourage them to read every damn word.
    https://deadspin.com/what-a-foul-ball-can-do-1835706809?fbclid=IwAR2RzJLw-aYGu0HgdTFLKlIP07cs2KYEBonTxjL88ntOQKZstjarfkOUT-E

This article from 2014 says that 1750 fans a year are hit.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-09-09/baseball-caught-looking-as-fouls-injure-1-750-fans-a-year

The Tokyo Dome has very few sections exposed to the field. Those fans are issued a helmet and glove by the team. All Japanese league teams have nets that extend to the foul poles.
    https://www.mlb.com/cut4/three-things-to-love-about-the-tokyo-dome-c300555194

According to FiveThirtyEight, there were 14,000 more foul balls hit in 2018 than in 1998.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/foul-balls-are-the-pace-of-play-problem-nobodys-talking-about/

This issue is absolutely about sports. I LOVE sports, but I'll be damned if I'm going to come here and only blather about the Dodgers and Rams and Blazers, and not discuss real-world stories that impact the games I love.

• Options
    edited June 27, 2019 7:32PM

Maybe switch from using a baseball to a basketball. Less broken bats and the excessive home run problem would be solved.

• Options

The bottom line is that we shouldn't live life worrying about every worst case scenario. Those who have this phobia are often afraid to get out of their bed or leave their home to go anywhere.

• Options

@stevek said:
    The bottom line is that we shouldn't live life worrying about every worst case scenario. Those who have this phobia are often afraid to get out of their bed or leave their home to go anywhere.

It is worse than that, stevek. It is about diminishing the experience for those that love the game. The net guys can buy seats safely behind the home plate protector or sit way in the outfield and hope that a burly guy grabs the home run ball before it hits them.

Baseball is an experience unlike any other in sports. The filed extends to the seats and sort of into them as well. Steve Bartman became infamous for fielding a foul. Billy Martin flipped a ball to my dad when he managed Detroit. Why the hell would anyone want to break up the magic of the game?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

It is worse than that, stevek. It is about diminishing the experience for those that love the game. The net guys can buy seats safely behind the home plate protector or sit way in the outfield and hope that a burly guy grabs the home run ball before it hits them.

Baseball is an experience unlike any other in sports. The filed extends to the seats and sort of into them as well. Steve Bartman became infamous for fielding a foul. Billy Martin flipped a ball to my dad when he managed Detroit. Why the hell would anyone want to break up the magic of the game?

One time, because I was invited and the tickets were free, i sat behind home plate at a Phillies game, of course with the net. The net is absolutely distracting and that isn't even debatable.

The nets being discussed will be even more distracting, and that's not debatable either. The question is will it affect fan attendance, and I believe it will.

But of course the MLB owners are afraid of non-stop parasitic lawyers trying to extort money from them thru the legal system. So i expect most if not all of the owners to cave on this, especially with legalized sports gambling coming.

MLB owners really won't give much of a chit any longer about fans enjoyment of the actual game at the ballpark, focusing mainly on the massive gambling revenue.

• Options

One time, because I was invited and the tickets were free, i sat behind home plate at a Phillies game, of course with the net. The net is absolutely distracting and that isn't even debatable.

Of course it's debatable. I've sat behind the net hundreds of times and the net is not at all distracting. I've specifically asked the occupants of the box seats around us that exact question. All of them said the nets are not distracting.

• Options

@Tabe said:

Of course it's debatable. I've sat behind the net hundreds of times and the net is not at all distracting. I've specifically asked the occupants of the box seats around us that exact question. All of them said the nets are not distracting.

Well you obviously enjoy those seats and that's fine. To each their own.

For sure, I'd rather sit behind home plate then sit in the upper deck. That's another seat I sat in once and I said never again. To me it was very unenjoyable watching a baseball game from there.

I sit in lower deck, first or third baseline seats, as close to the field as possible, or I don't go to the ballpark.

The nets are likely, if not definitely coming to all other stadiums. Especially to Philadelphia because it is one of the worst litigious areas in the country. So we shall see how it all works out.

• Options

I’m just curious where all the People that worry about not enough nets were the past 80 years? Is this the newest trendy thing in MLB for people to get fired up about? Nobody was crying about it when Jim Rice hit a fan years ago, but now that it gets more media attention the masses are up in arms. You all make me laugh, one person cry’s and the rest of you follow suit like clockwork 🙄

• Options

Paul, put our differences aside and read the article I posted. Please.

This isn’t a new, trendy thing. This has been written about before - extensively. The victims have been mobilizing for quite some time. They know each other. They reach out to each other. There are a lot of them.

For decades every damn one of us who love this game have cringed damn near every time a foul ball goes screaming into the lower box seats. Tell me you haven’t. I don’t think you can.

Every rule change in a sport has that one “straw that broke the camel’s back” moment. Buster Posey’s broken leg and Chase Utley’s slide, for recent instance. Did you happen to notice that every batting helmet work in MLB now has a face guard?

A little girl damn near getting killed is that moment. That moment should have come when a woman lost her life at Dodger Stadium. It should have come a helluva lot sooner than that, imo.

Nets are logical and will save lives and prevent life-altering injuries. Like it or not, they’re coming. We can either accept that and continue to love baseball, or let it annoy us to the point that we’re no longer fans.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2019 8:04AM

So stevek is not supposed to be distracted by the netting because Tabe and a bunch of folks that have box seats behind the obstacle are not.

stevek is supposed to cringe with each hard liner into the stands because TNP goes wobbly with each crack of the bat.

Only concern I have had for fans of sporting events is golf spectators lining up closely on either side of a pro golfer on a tight shot and when auto parts or whole race cars sail towards the stands. Air shows can be quite deadly as well if that is considered a sport.

Baseball...nuh uh. One death per 50 years and 30 stadiums is not epidemic.

The idiocy will continue though as the nanny state moves on.

• Options

Hard line drive coming at me while sitting in the stands? I used to pray for that...still do. And if my hand swells up for a few days after catching a hard line drive, that's quite alright with me. :D

I only got one foul ball in my life, caught it on the fly off the bat of Pete Rose when he was visiting Philly playing for the Reds. But I would love to get more. :)

Oh well, a toast to what will soon be the good old days of having a great seat at a MLB game without having to endure looking thru stinking nets. 🍺

• Options
    edited June 28, 2019 11:12AM

Dangerous---

-

Not dangerous---

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Dangerous---

-

Not dangerous---

Talk about the pussification of America. That little guy way back when was not wearing a helmet. Those chickenchit drivers in very safe modern cars are wearing seat belts.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@TNP777 said:
    Paul, put our differences aside and read the article I posted. Please.

This isn’t a new, trendy thing. This has been written about before - extensively. The victims have been mobilizing for quite some time. They know each other. They reach out to each other. There are a lot of them.

For decades every damn one of us who love this game have cringed damn near every time a foul ball goes screaming into the lower box seats. Tell me you haven’t. I don’t think you can.

Every rule change in a sport has that one “straw that broke the camel’s back” moment. Buster Posey’s broken leg and Chase Utley’s slide, for recent instance. Did you happen to notice that every batting helmet work in MLB now has a face guard?

A little girl damn near getting killed is that moment. That moment should have come when a woman lost her life at Dodger Stadium. It should have come a helluva lot sooner than that, imo.

Nets are logical and will save lives and prevent life-altering injuries. Like it or not, they’re coming. We can either accept that and continue to love baseball, or let it annoy us to the point that we’re no longer fans.

Geordie, our differences are nothing personal, at least for me they are not. We are worlds away the way we view things, I just roll my eyes at many of your posts while I’m sure you think I’m a bad person in return which is fine as I know I’m not for everyone lol. I did read the article and Ofcourse I feel awful for anyone getting injured whether it’s at a game or anywhere else, that being said I think the incidents illustrated in that article are akin to every other incident in life that is due to bad luck, bad timing or whatever, if there is a risk that your not willing to take then make adjustments, maybe get bleacher seats rather than sit close to the field? Either way I don’t go to ball games for reasons I’ve stated many times in various threads. If you feel strong enough about this issue then that’s your right and I’m not going to try to change your mind about it.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2019 4:07PM

@Coinstartled said:
    So stevek is not supposed to be distracted by the netting because Tabe and a bunch of folks that have box seats behind the obstacle are not.

C'mon, if you're going to respond to me, at least don't blatantly change what I said.

I responded to "The net is absolutely distracting and that isn't even debatable." If it bugs stevek, OK, no problem. But to say it's "not even debatable"? That's demonstrably false, which is what my response said. I didn't say "hey stevek, you shouldn't be distracted"

... I thought people who went to baseball games and were against the nets were never, ever distracted?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I’m just curious where all the People that worry about not enough nets were the past 80 years? Is this the newest trendy thing in MLB for people to get fired up about? Nobody was crying about it when Jim Rice hit a fan years ago, but now that it gets more media attention the masses are up in arms. You all make me laugh, one person cry’s and the rest of you follow suit like clockwork 🙄

For me, I've been asking for more netting for roughly 20 years. All it took was attending two games - one where I sat behind home plate and one where I sat down the 3B line. I quickly realized the difference in safety and didn't like it, especially since I didn't consider the nets to be a problem for actually watching the game.

I played and coached baseball before that and it wasn't something that occurred to me. However, amateur is a whooooole different thing than even low-level professional.

So, for me anyway, I can't say I've been yelling about it for 80 years, but I have for 20.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

"1750 fans a year are hit"
    2018 attendance = 69,625,244

Chance of getting hit ~0.0025%

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

For me, I've been asking for more netting for roughly 20 years. All it took was attending two games - one where I sat behind home plate and one where I sat down the 3B line. I quickly realized the difference in safety and didn't like it, especially since I didn't consider the nets to be a problem for actually watching the game.

I played and coached baseball before that and it wasn't something that occurred to me. However, amateur is a whooooole different thing than even low-level professional.

So, for me anyway, I can't say I've been yelling about it for 80 years, but I have for 20.

Well if you have been talking about it for that long then I agree your not following the trend

• Options
    edited June 28, 2019 8:16PM

@3stars said:

Bring a God damn glove OR sit in the outfield. LOL @ this thread.

• Options

@softparade said:

@3stars said:

Bring a God damn glove OR sit in the outfield. LOL @ this thread.

Better yet watch it on the monitor over the hot dog concession. Worst that can happen is you get splashed with mustard.

:o

• Options

I wonder what PETA will do when a poor little bird gets tangled up in the nets and dies?

That would be funny, PETA snowflakes demanding that the nets be taken down, and MLB snowflakes demanding that the nets stay up.

Snowflake versus snowflake. :D

• Options

@stevek said:
    I wonder what PETA will do when a poor little bird gets tangled up in the nets and dies?

That would be funny, PETA snowflakes demanding that the nets be taken down, and MLB snowflakes demanding that the nets stay up.

Snowflake versus snowflake. :D

There was lots of complaining when the new Vikings stadium went up. Afraid the birds would fly into the glass panels.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Been participating on this thread for several days and trying to make sense of it...I can't.

Envisioning protective netting around the entire seating area...save the outfield, is a truly unimaginable. I am thinking that the "cheap" seats will become the primo seats as no real baseball fan would ever want to view a three hour sporting event (once the American pastime) from inside of a cage.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Been participating on this thread for several days and trying to make sense of it...I can't.

Envisioning protective netting around the entire seating area...save the outfield, is a truly unimaginable. I am thinking that the "cheap" seats will become the primo seats as no real baseball fan would ever want to view a three hour sporting event (once the American pastime) from inside of a cage.

We might be able to avoid nets in the outfield, but we are going to have to erect some kind of plexiglass barrier so fans cannot fall from upper decks.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

And yet somehow the Tokyo Giants draw big crowds of real fans.

• Options

Japanese folks, God bless them, wear masks when walking the streets in public. They also eat raw fish. Tough demographic to figure out.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Japanese folks, God bless them, wear masks when walking the streets in public. They also eat raw fish. Tough demographic to figure out.

I had delicious fried Walleye last night. RAW FISH? No thanks.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

I had delicious fried Walleye last night. RAW FISH? No thanks.

On this subject, we agree.