Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If we could only buy coins like Charles P. Nichols

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 31, 2019 6:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Some of your will recognize the name "Charles P. Nichols" from a work by Q. David Bowers. [Incorrect- Bowers wrote about Walter Nichols , not the generation earlier Charles. See the post by CaptHenway, near the bottom.]

Here is one of Charles Nichols' coin orders placed with the Philadelphia Mint. Dream on.....

[Source: NARA RG104 E-1 box 64 via NNP]

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

What, no gold proofs? Cheapskate.

Nice how the Mint wouldn't accept their own paper currency at face value.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2019 9:11PM

Nichols ordered gold sets later. He distributed the new coins to collectors in the Buffalo area - at least when it wasn't snowing too hard to dig out the horses or oxen.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm having trouble reading the text. Could some one help. thank you.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

"Yours of the 27th came duly to hand. I wish to change my order of the 24th as folllows. - ... Enclosed please find the amt in gold as per your request. - I shall want the dollars as soon as they are ready. - Please inform me - how much are the Proof Dollars each. Without the rest of the ect! [etc]".

I'm not sure if I want the coins bought, or the gold he paid with.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:

I'm not sure if I want the coins bought, or the gold he paid with.

The gold he paid with is worth a lot less now than the coins he bought if they were kept in as made condition. Imagine writing the mint and sending them an 1878 morgan dollar for 100 leftover 1877 IHCs.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Very neat look into history.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really enjoy reading these old letters/documents....The penmanship is always impressive and the language used connotes the manners and conduct of the time. Not to mention that such commerce was possible then... certainly not now. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I really enjoy reading these old letters/documents....The penmanship is always impressive and the language used connotes the manners and conduct of the time. Not to mention that such commerce was possible then... certainly not now. Cheers, RickO

I too was thinking forget the coins- I want the penmanship!

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

Oh, thanks for the correction! I'll make a note on the opening post.

:)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, (8) 1862 Civil War era proof sets for $24.00, $4.00 each, geez, I guess those were the good old days !!! ;)

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file