Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A 2nd selection from my typeset - Large Size Capped Bust Quarter

RABRAB Posts: 132 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 29, 2019 6:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Ok, first of all, for anyone who saw my Bust Dollar thread, I should have mentioned - that coin is one of the highlights of my collection, and probably not one I'll be topping any time soon!

That said, here is another coin that I am especially fond of - an 1825/4/2 Capped Bust Quarter.

I'd be really interested to hear what some of you think about the surfaces. (And yes, I realize that I'm asking you to base your assessment on a photo!) In particular, note the toning on a portion of the cheek and bust that is a different color than the surrounding surfaces - in your opinion, is this de facto evidence of wear/rub?

Comments

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily. It could just be the raw surface of the planchet that didn't strike out. Very nice original coin.

thefinn
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 3:40AM

Very nice quarter! Those areas, bust & cheek, may be light contact areas or cabinet friction. What a beauty!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 3:41AM

Great color

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice old coin, in excellent condition.... I would not worry about the slightly variant tarnish shades....could simply be storage related. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great bust quarter example!
    The color change on the cheek and bust does not have to be rub, but likely is a little bit. This coin was obviously specially cared for by other collectors through the years, and that can impart luster breaks or toning differences on the high points (cabinet friction as others have said). This effect is partly the reason so many of these were dipped out in search of higher grade.
    Easy to call this one uncirculated judging from the pics.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    A very nice old coin, in excellent condition.... I would not worry about the slightly variant tarnish shades....could simply be storage related. Cheers, RickO

I agree with Ricko here. I do not see it as wear specifically. Could be toning from storage and a storage contact point.

Very nice quarter! I love the look on this one.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

In case someone needs to provide a grade guess😏...I’ll go with MS63, though I have felt more confident with many of my other assessments.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    In case someone needs to provide a grade guess😏...I’ll go with MS63, though I have felt more confident with many of my other assessments. Said another way, nothing from AU58 to MS64 would shock me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin that does not appear to have circulated but shows rub, and I d be just as happy with either grade : PCGS AU58 or NGC MS62

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 12:02PM

Looks like it would fit nice the in the number two set in the Everyman Registry to me. :wink:

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin! Looks like a MS62. I like the beauty mark on Ms Liberty’s neck, compass point you would call it I believe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file