Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found .......after 15+ years.

goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 or so years ago I noticed that I was missing a little white box that contained my Grandfather's gold initial ring and a gold ring that held an 1856 $1 gold piece. I was also missing a set of cuff links that were from Spain and were 24K Gold hand painted inlaid with Damascene. They were made to look like the obverse of the Indian Head Nickel. They are beautiful.

I thought that either a group of painters, that were no good, or a nephew by marriage had stolen them. I had looked in the lock box twice, looked in the night stand three times, looked in the dresser twice and looked in the top of the closet.

A couple of days ago I just happened to see a wooden box on a shelf. As soon as I picked it up I could tell that it had some weight. Inside were everything that was missing plus some other pieces that were of nominal value.

We now remember that years ago we had to move our daughter out of her room to paint. We temporarily had to move her into our study. We moved some things out of the study to make room including moving the wooden box.

I am super happy to find everything especially my Grandfather's ring.

Comments

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations ... what a great feeling that must be!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yay, glad you found it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden

Very glad you found your grandpa’s heirlooms! Now put a GPS tracker on it. :D:)

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you found it! Hope you didn't break too many fingers over the 15 years trying to recover them :o

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a pretty good feeling, congrats

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome.

I am still waiting for 2 coins to show up.

I sure hope they are not in the landfill.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is great.... finding a treasured item one thought was gone is really great. I have had that experience (and told the story here as well). Enjoy your heirlooms...and a picture would be great. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics!

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, hope you never said anything to the "suspects", especially the nephew.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:

The painters dropped out of sight and the nephew died years ago.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

real cool you found everything

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    Pics!

+1

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I misplaced a box at home 11 yrs ago . Some gold coins are in there. Still waiting to find it. Someday???

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭

Cool story - Thanks for sharing!

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy for you man. :)

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

I'm finding more and more these days that the culprit is often that rascal whose face I see in the mirror each morning.

Damn him!

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

@DollarAfterDollar said:

The painters dropped out of sight and the nephew died years ago.

Remind me to never be on your suspect list!!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 7:39PM

I don't know where to start exactly, but I had the same thing happen to me. In the same timeframe, approximately 15+ years. The circumstances by which I found the missing ring has overtones bordering on the supernatural. I'm not much a believer in such but strange things do happen.

When I was a very young boy my grandmother told me about a signet ring that my great grandfather gave to my grandfather when my grandfather was a boy. The ring was given to my great
    grandfather by his father. My grandfather was born in 1878. All three of us, my great grandfather, my grandfather, and myself had the same three initials. My grandmother wanted to give me the ring but she never could find it. But she knew it was somewhere in the house. Well, in 1965 the old ranch house burned down. Probably from sparks escaping from a crack in the fieldstone chimney. That was a very sad and difficult time. Over the years I would sift through the ashes and debris, clean up the remains of the house, etc. Always with the thought of finding the ring. Never really expecting to find it. Maybe it didn't really exist but was just a story an old grandmother made up. Then....one Saturday morning some time in the early 80's, there I was sifting through the ashes and dirt looking for the ring. A friend of mine walked up and said, "You'll never find that ring." At that exact instant a charred 2x4 that was embedded in the dirt, caught my eye. I pointed at it and said, "There it is." I walked over to the 2 x4
    and pulled it out, and there was a rusted, corroded ringbox! I open the box and there it was. A gold ring. With my initials on it. My friend and I were both dumbfounded. I've always felt that someone, somewhere, was looking down upon me a that moment. My grandmother? Who knows?

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Been there. Done that. Happens with placing something in a new / different location. Now where did I put that??

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually in fridge or something glad you found your treasures.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you found your grandfather's ring and other items. Sometimes our connection to something like this is more than value alone as it helps us to fill a void that is missing when the person is no longer with us.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2019 6:27PM

@golden said:
    15 or so years ago I noticed that I was missing a little white box that contained my Grandfather's gold initial ring and a gold ring that held an 1856 $1 gold piece. I was also missing a set of cuff links that were from Spain and were 24K Gold hand painted inlaid with Damascene. They were made to look like the obverse of the Indian Head Nickel. They are beautiful.

I thought that either a group of painters, that were no good, or a nephew by marriage had stolen them. I had looked in the lock box twice, looked in the night stand three times, looked in the dresser twice and looked in the top of the closet.

A couple of days ago I just happened to see a wooden box on a shelf. As soon as I picked it up I could tell that it had some weight. Inside were everything that was missing plus some other pieces that were of nominal value.

We now remember that years ago we had to move our daughter out of her room to paint. We temporarily had to move her into our study. We moved some things out of the study to make room including moving the wooden box.

I am super happy to find everything especially my Grandfather's ring.

I had the same thing happen with a piece my grandmother gave me. It was a common IHC pendant but I can remember it vividly from childhood. I thought it had been lost over the years and I went through a box at my mothers I forgot I had and found it along with a old purse she had passed down as well. Im glad you found your items I know how much value they have.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2019 9:50PM

Glad you found your items. I recently found some Irreplaceable and very sentimental photographs that I thought were lost about 7 years ago. It is certainly a good feeling.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file