Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newmark Collection Pedigree / Provenance

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

This collection is being sold by Stack's now and has some nice pieces in it.

Does anyone know about this collection? Like dates of active collecting, areas of focus, etc.? I've noticed it on a few medals and So-Called Dollars I've looked at, but it is a headline collection on the auction catalog.

Comments

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2019 9:24PM

This was his webpage at one time, major interest in FAO issues. It is probably better to use the wayback machine for it, tho in either case expect broken links and missing images.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2019 8:44AM

@Aegis3 said:
    This was his webpage at one time, major interest in FAO issues. It is probably better to use the wayback machine for it, tho in either case expect broken links and missing images.

That's great info on Arthur Newmark's collection @Aegis3

Here's one piece I was following:

1890 Assay Commission Medal NGC MS62 pop 0/1/3 Arthur Newmark specimen

This is by Barber and Morgan.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins... Did you get that medal? The reverse is really nice... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited May 31, 2019 8:45AM

@ricko said:
    @Zoins... Did you get that medal? The reverse is really nice... Cheers, RickO

Unfortunately no. I’m a big fan of annual Assay medals and the particular reverse here as well but I had other things to pick up at Baltimore this year. Maybe next time.

• Options

@Zoins

The Newmark Collection was collected by 2 generations of the Newmark family, which is now returning the collection into the hands of fellow collectors after the recent passing of the collector. The collection spanned the world of coinage with a particular focus on the modern period, 1700-2000. Past offerings from the collection have included Chinese and other east Asian coinage in our March 2019 Hong Kong auction and U.S. coins, tokens and medals in our recently ended May 2019 Baltimore auction. Future offerings from the collection will be focused chiefly on world coins, with offerings spread among our June 2019 Collectors Choice Online, August 2019 ANA and August 2019 Hong Kong auctions.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2019 4:31AM

@Aegis3 said:

Here's a post I found from Arthur with respect to FAO:

I collect world crowns by country and U.S. type coins and exonumia.
    I am the unofficial authority on FAO collections as I put together the following page: http://fao-coins.info/

• Options

@StacksBowersGalleries said:
    @Zoins

The Newmark Collection was collected by 2 generations of the Newmark family, which is now returning the collection into the hands of fellow collectors after the recent passing of the collector. The collection spanned the world of coinage with a particular focus on the modern period, 1700-2000. Past offerings from the collection have included Chinese and other east Asian coinage in our March 2019 Hong Kong auction and U.S. coins, tokens and medals in our recently ended May 2019 Baltimore auction. Future offerings from the collection will be focused chiefly on world coins, with offerings spread among our June 2019 Collectors Choice Online, August 2019 ANA and August 2019 Hong Kong auctions.

Great info. Thanks for posting!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file