Home U.S. Coin Forum

Good Luck Tokens - A good reference Book or Scanned Book Looking for

GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 13, 2019 10:15AM in U.S. Coin Forum

There hot on line lots of people bidding!! That’s good right. Don’t bid to high and get stuck though.

I was wondering is there a good book out there with lots of pictures in the Coin World that is primarily in the Good Luck Tokens Swastika designs? I found a good web site that goes into detail but I always like a good book to flip through.

Here is web site I found I am sure there are more. Web sites are also of interest to me, if you know of any more that would be appreciated.

https://www.sageventure.com/coins/tokens.html

Here is a picture from this site as an example of what I am talking about. I always wondered what all these small details meant this web site goes into great detail. But I still like to be able to but a good book into my growing library. Heck I might even have what I am asking for but just have not identified my books containing these. TYIA

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen a token as such. Living here in the SW we see this swastika symbol being used by Native Indians, generally meaning good luck. I have a swastika in silver, inlaid with turquoise on top of a 9" hat pin. It's from the 1870's. I also have a swastika symbol on a German 4H token (similar to 4H) for Animal husbandry. They are cool as long as they are not associated with WWII.
    Too bad it got hijacked by the 3rd Reich. Many symbols have been hijacked over the millennia. What used to be good is now bad and what used to be bad is now good, what used to be happy is now ? Weird how it happens.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a Indian Swastika that I picked up recently. I thought it was cool! I know nothing about its history or origin. I only buy because I thought it was pretty! Its a 1931 Deerfield Massachusetts Lucky Swastica Order Red Men Mohawk Indian;)

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "Don't Worry Club" strikes again!

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t worry, be happy.

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no topical catalog on swastika tokens. The state merchant token catalogs vary in inclusion of swastika tokens, some listing all from the state while most just include those that are actual good for merchant tokens. I have heard that there is an unpublished monograph on the topic but I have not seen it.

The partially dispersed Rich Hartzog estate had a large number of swastika tokens as they were one of Rich's interests that he actually researched -- I have the Excelsior - Boy Scout Shoe tokens where Hartzog identified over 35 distinct varieties and a similar group of Madame Hendren Dolls varieties. The bulk of the Hartzog swastika tokens were purchased by two or three exonumia dealers with most being offered through eBay.

Probably the largest known collection of different swastika tokens is currently for sale as a single lot/collection. The long time New Jersey collector that put it together passed away in the recently and the family is trying to sell it themselves as an inclusive group lot.

edited May 29, 2019 9:45AM

@tokenpro said:
    There is no topical catalog on swastika tokens. The state merchant token catalogs vary in inclusion of swastika tokens, some listing all from the state while most just include those that are actual good for merchant tokens. I have heard that there is an unpublished monograph on the topic but I have not seen it.

The partially dispersed Rich Hartzog estate had a large number of swastika tokens as they were one of Rich's interests that he actually researched -- I have the Excelsior - Boy Scout Shoe tokens where Hartzog identified over 35 distinct varieties and a similar group of Madame Hendren Dolls varieties. The bulk of the Hartzog swastika tokens were purchased by two or three exonumia dealers with most being offered through eBay.

Probably the largest known collection of different swastika tokens is currently for sale as a single lot/collection. The long time New Jersey collector that put it together passed away in the recently and the family is trying to sell it themselves as an inclusive group lot.

Tokenpro Thank you for that information.

Do you by chance know anything about these type tokens never seen this design. Maybe who made them?
    Picked up from EBay.
    Los Angeles California Good Luck Swastika Token Jos M Fletcher Tailor

Tokenpro can elaborate more on your Excelsior not familiar with that terminology.

Here is a boy scout one I picked up recently from EBay.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Luck finding a book. Perhaps you could write an article for the Numismatist magazine.

@Insider2 said:
    Good Luck finding a book. Perhaps you could write an article for the Numismatist magazine.

Yes I was sort of expecting there was nothing out there in a book but then you never know. Maybe there is one that no one knows about and I might be lucky enough to get my hand on it. o:)

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been a lot of Swastika tokens on EBay lately. I’ve been thinking it would be great to make a reference using tokens sold there.

@Zoins said:
    There have been a lot of Swastika tokens on EBay lately. I’ve been thinking it would be great to make a reference using tokens sold there.

Done! :D

Lots of EBay goodies this past week! I have to try and stop buying from Mr. Hayden. Dang Him!

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that most if not all of the "blob" style swastika tokens were made by Schwaab Stamp & Stencil Co. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin as the only signed pieces that I have seen of that variety have carried the Schwaab S & S Co or S. S. & S. Co. signature.

Excelsior Shoe Co. of Portsmouth, Ohio issued a long and varied series of swastika advertising tokens both under their name and that of (probable) subsidiaries . As mentioned, there are at lest 35+ varieties with different wording, signatures, shoe brands, etc. The most popular are the "Boy Scouts" brand as you have while the most common are the varieties of "The Excelsior Shoe For Boys" which uses the same Scout on a horse obverse. Some (all??) of the Scout related swastikas are listed in the Boy Scout Collectibles catalog of some years ago authored by ex-KP staffer George Cuhaj (I don't have a copy so I don't know how extensive the listings are).

Based on what I've seen and handled over my one or two or more years in the business I would say that there are easily 2000+ different issuers and probably many, many more. The swastika / "Don't Worry Club" craze started about the same time as the Billiken craze of the early 1900's and lasted well into the 1920's before the symbol began to be compromised.

edited May 29, 2019 12:49PM

Thank you again Tokenpro I just ordered a new Boy Scout Collectable SoftBack book for $10.00 on my favorite store besides Walmart , Amazon. I will let you know what all it has listed.

Amazon just emailed me the Book is on its way! Might be here sooner than I thought.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have any swastika tokens, but I do have an old German Swastika medal...still with the ribbon. It was my Dad's, and I have no idea where he got it....Just found it in a box of stuff after he passed away....No, he was not in the war, so it did not come from there (worked in Grumman Aircraft at the time). Cheers, RickO

edited June 2, 2019 11:44AM

Here is the picture of the good luck token I won on Ebay. Almost looks like there is some toning going on.

Here is another web site on Tokens listed by States. I know this was listed before as I have been through this site before. But to find a Token by the State you have to purchase that book by State, but not always still can get expensive and a big library.

http://www.tokencatalog.com/

The web site I posted has about 150 pages of all the different types made with the listed names. It’s actually quite good. I printed every page and 3 holes punched them and put them all into a 1” Binder to make a great reference book. Thanks to sage venture for putting such a great website up. https://www.sageventure.com/coins/tokens.html

Jos M Fletcher Tailor

@Gluggo said:
    Here is the picture of the good luck token I won on Ebay. Almost looks like there is some toning going on.

Here is another web site on Tokens listed by States. I know this was listed before as I have been through this site before. But to find a Token by the State you have to purchase that book by State, but not always still can get expensive and a big library.

http://www.tokencatalog.com/

The web site I posted has about 150 pages of all the different types made with the listed names. It’s actually quite good. I printed every page and 3 holes punched them and put them all into a 1” Binder to make a great reference book. Thanks to sage venture for putting such a great website up. https://www.sageventure.com/coins/tokens.html

That's a great reference. I'm a big fan of that site. It looks like your Swastika token isn't listed there so it may be good to add.

Zion my token I bought is listed and ready for this the picture on the site is the exact one I purchased. I will find the exact link and tell you how far down to go.

Go onto the " Others" tab and go all the way down. 3rd one up left side. Here is the picture I just downloaded from the site. It looks like a match.

So this tells me this must be somehow linked to the Gary Patterson Collection. RIP Mr Patterson.

https://www.sageventure.com/coins/other.html

@Gluggo said:
    Zion my token I bought is listed and ready for this the picture on the site is the exact one I purchased. I will find the exact link and tell you how far down to go.

Go onto the " Others" tab and go all the way down. 3rd one up left side. Here is the picture I just downloaded from the site. It looks like a match.

So this tells me this must be somehow linked to the Gary Patterson Collection. RIP Mr Patterson.

https://www.sageventure.com/coins/other.html

Ah, I meant TokenCatalog.com as a general site. I forgot to delete the other part of your post in the quote.

Great to be able to link this to a pedigree. Hopefully Gary Patterson can live on through his collection, and other memories. The SageVenture website looks like Craig Murray's website. Do you know if Gary and Craig knew each other?

edited June 2, 2019 5:10PM

I did not know if the two knew each other. In fact I am just a simple collector who Stumbled onto Steve Haydens collections a few years back. It was through his announcement that I first learned of Gary Patterson. Before that I had purchase maybe a 1/2 dozen good luck tokens, not really knowing the meaning. So now I can start learning what all I have been buying. This web site will be a good start.

Wow it’s been a tough few weeks seems these Good Luck Tokens are more popular than before!

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

And a gammadion of it's going the other direction. Thanks for that. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

edited June 13, 2019 10:18AM

I managed to copy and scan the complete Good For Tokens information in color, double sided into a side flip book. If you are interested in the PDF version just pm me and I can email it to you. Its about 180 pages and about 14 Megabites in size. For you hard core good for token hunters out there, who I am probably bidding against at times. :*

edited June 13, 2019 9:32PM

Here are two of mine, one in standard issue golden bronze and one in lead.

This is a somewhat ironic use of the swastika as this was issued in 1917 to show show support for the Allies and not Germany as shown in the article below.

Zion very nice collection! Do you know if PCGS would slab these type medals? Or would NGC be the way to go? I might send mine in for grading. TYIA

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2019 6:24AM

The common good luck "swastika" symbol had bars facing left or right with somewhat different meanings in different cultures. The Nazi's turned this "Hakenkreuz" into a consistent right-facing image for their symbol of lies and hate.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

This is a somewhat ironic use of the swastika as this was issued in 1917 to show show support for the Allies and not Germany as shown in the article below.

This is an understatement! Who would have known that in a short time this would be the ultimate symbol of hate? And yet here it was on the breast of the eagle, almost identical to those used in the grand Nazi ceremonies in the 30s. Just a World War apart.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

edited June 16, 2019 11:16AM

If anybody else want the scanned book of the good luck Tokens in PDF just pm me. Here is a new addition. Not the best condition but I liked it even though I know nothing about the token.

Chicago Illinois Good Luck Swastikas Token Max Goldberg Insures you right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file