Home Sports Talk
Options

Best young unheralded players in baseball...

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a fun thread.

My pick? Trevor Story needs more love. Guys a beast. Can hit it and pick it AND they’re not Coors Field homers, they’re no doubters in many cases.

Who else?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet nobody can answer this question without looking it up, except for maybe Count Douglas.

Who lead the American league in hits and stolen bases in 2018, and also lead in stolen bases in 2017?

The answer is my answer to the title of this thread.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it Whit Merrifield? I didn't check. Alas, not so young.

• Options

Jose Ramirez?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2019 5:33PM

I would agree that the answer to Darin's clue, Whit Merrifield, is under the radar, but I would also agree that he's not so young. Eric Hosmer is younger than Whit, for comparison. Depending on the OPs criteria, Adalberto Mondesi is either on this list or needs another season or 2 of sustained production to qualify.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I would agree that the answer to Darin's clue, Whit Merrifield, is under the radar, but I would also agree that he's not so young. Eric Hosmer is younger than Whit, for comparison. Depending on the OPs criteria, Adalberto Mondesi is either on this list or needs another season or 2 of sustained production to qualify.

Actually just looking to see if there’s anyone I should be watching - all names welcomed.

Whit and Adalberto are studly!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I guess Whit isn't that young, thought he deserved a mention however. I do credit him for his
    determination. In the past the Royals would bring him up for a few weeks or months, then never really
    give him a chance to play full time. Once they finally gave him a chance, he proved he's a quality everyday player.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

The NY Mets have two young players who have come to the majors with no pedigree. McNeill just hits, batting around .320 this year...he hit about the same when they called him up last year. i know they didn't see this coming because they never mention his name as one of their everyday players but he's making it impossible for them to take him out of the lineup. Not sure how old he is. And Pete Alonso who was on fire to start the year. Average has settled around .250, but has 17 homers in 51 games and driven in about 35 already. Might. be worth keeping an eye on both of these........and I can't stand the METS.
    And yes, I did know Whit Merrifield, only because I had picked him up in my fantasy league in 2017 as an injury fill in and he was amazing. I did know he was an older player that never really got a shot until then.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Austin Meadows
    Matt Strahm
    Max Fried
    Aldaberto Mondesi

All playing really well and look like future stars.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Matt Chapman is the best fielding third baseman in the A.L., and is a rising star at the plate. He has the potential to be a 30 hr, 100 rbi guy, maybe even this season.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Josh Bell

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trey Mancini

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like you can add Scott Kingery to this list as well