Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guttag Brothers Tokens

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 26, 2019 9:11AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm a fan of gold numismatist / numismatic association token and medals so this potentially unique token is a treat.

It sold recently at Stack's Baltimore auction. I had the high bid going into the live auction and bid live as well, but it wasn't to be. It was a fun auction to be a part of.

I know a number of Guttag pieces have been posted in the past but I can't find them right now so please post any Guttag Bros. tokens you have here :)

Lot 3124
1926 Guttag Bros. Store Card. Gold. 29.5 mm. 12.6 grams. 14 karats. Baker-730, var., Cunningham 14-890X, King-932. Mint State.

A rare gold example of this type, the otherwise plain edge is marked MEDALLIC ART CO. NY 14K at 6 o'clock. Lovely sandblast surfaces are predominantly antique gold with outlines of deep rose to most of the design elements. The strike is full and the surfaces are smooth and attractive. The dies for this type were engraved by M. Swanson, and the medals struck by Medallic Art Co. This is the first gold example that your cataloger can ever recall handling -- a rare find for collectors of Washingtonia, Lincolniana and numismatic dealers medals.
Provenance: From the Q. David Bowers Collection.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file