Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1799 AU Draped Bust Dollar (B-10, BB-163) - Blue Peripheral Target Toning

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 1, 2019 5:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

It’s been quite a while since I posted Images of my Forum Avatar Coin β€” Certainly one of my favorites!!πŸ˜πŸ‘

1799 AU Draped Bust Dollar (B-10, BB-163) - Blue Peripheral Target Toning

Low Resolution
ClickπŸ‘‡Here to Enlarge:

High Resolution
ClickπŸ‘‡Here to Enlarge:

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    edited June 1, 2019 10:09AM

@Cardinal @RAB @WalkerGuy21D

Thanks to each of you for your posting β€œLikes” in this thread for my 1799 AU Draped Bust Dollar (B-10, BB-163) with Blue Peripheral Target Toning.

Cardinal, I remember your helpful posts 16 years ago!! about the subject coin back in September 2003 (original thread linkπŸ‘‡below). 😁

I really appreciate you sharing your authoritative expertise attributing the specific Bolender and Bowers & Borckhardt varieties, and helping me to better understand the striking characteristics of this (still my only) Draped Bust Dollar. πŸ‘

Original 2003 Thread Web Link πŸ‘‰ https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/219170/bust-dollar-experts-opinions-on-grade-and-bolender-variety-of-1799-bust-dollar#latest

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I can only see it on my phone, but it really looks stunning.
    I once saw old bust halves in an original Wayte Raymond album with that look, so I’m guessing the blue is electric and iridescent in hand.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@WalkerGuy21D Thanks for your following posted feedback.

I uploaded new images (instead of using old web links) in an attempt to alleviate the image viewing issue that you mentioned.

Are you now able to see the images in the original post on all of your devices?

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Sorry I can only see it on my phone, but it really looks stunning.
    I once saw old bust halves in an original Wayte Raymond album with that look, so I’m guessing the blue is electric and iridescent in hand.

Stuart

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really beautiful specimen..... great detail for a 220 year old coin... Your pride is obvious and well deserved. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2019 10:50AM

I can hear John Lennon singing "instant Karma" in the background.
    It got me o:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

@RickO Thanks for your following quoted post! πŸ˜πŸ‘

@ricko said:
    That is a really beautiful specimen..... great detail for a 220 year old coin... Your pride is obvious and well deserved. Cheers, RickO

Stuart

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

That’s absolutely beautiful.

What are the eight images above the head of the eagle on the reverse? They look almost like Chinese Ming style clouds. And why eight?

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it! What a cool coin.

Is it out of round or was the camera not square to the coin?
    Lance.

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Now THAT is sweet! Love the toning

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat toning and very pretty. Did you ever submit to a TPG?

• Options
    edited June 17, 2019 6:30PM

@LKeigwin Lance, Thanks very much for your kind words about my 1799 Draped Bust Dollar. πŸ˜πŸ‘

In reply to your following quoted post, the camera was not square to the coin when I took this photo many years ago, as I was trying to capture the Toning Coloration by slightly tilting the coin to better depict reflected light color saturation.

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

Stuart

• Options

@Stuart said:
    @LKeigwin Lance, Thanks very much for your kind words about my 1799 Draped Bust Dollar. πŸ˜πŸ‘

In reply to your following quoted post, the camera was not square to the coin when I took this photo many years ago, as I was trying to capture the Toning Coloration by slightly tilting the coin to better depict reflected light color saturation.

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

Roger that. I get it.

I'd be happy to shoot it for you, at no cost, if you're game. I can bring out the lovely colorful toning. Something like my 1815/2, e.g. I have many more examples.
    Lance.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stuart, @lkeigwin's offer is generous. He's a wizard with a camera.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    @Stuart, @lkeigwin's offer is generous. He's a wizard with a camera.

You're not too shabby yourself, @BryceM. Your images are brilliant.

There are a half dozen excellent photographers here who could do justice for this glorious coin. Choose someone, @Stuart.
    Lance.

• Options

Hi Lance, Thanks very much for your following Very Generous Offer which I greatly appreciate. πŸ˜πŸ‘

I’ll contact you about this separately via private message.

@LKeigwin @BryceM

@lkeigwin said:
    I'd be happy to shoot it for you, at no cost, if you're game. I can bring out the lovely colorful toning. Something like my 1815/2, e.g. I have many more examples.
    Lance.

Stuart

• Options

@ColonelJessup Thanks for your following quoted post β€” You’ve got a way with words!! πŸ˜πŸ‘

@ColonelJessup said:
    I can hear John Lennon singing "instant Karma" in the background.
    It got me o:)

Stuart

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely gorgeous !!! :)

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file