Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quarter Searching....

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still searching for that "W" quarter...never having searched rolls before, it's kind of interesting. Lots of dirty coins, one had a M & M stuck on it, I realize I should be wearing gloves. Found two '64 silver quarters, one quarter painted green, one Canadian, one nickel, and one quarter that looked like it was totally made of copper! Is that possible? It really stood out, not in the greatest shape, but for a clad coin, it sure looks different.

Comments

  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think that is a thing... @ErrorsOnCoins and @FredWeinberg can probably tell you. To me it doesn't look like anything put on the surface, maybe an alloy issue?

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow, thanks @ChrisH821 & @Hemispherical. Improper annealing and it's become an error coin. Very cool. I like the color but I don't want it to peel off like that nickel sample did in the article.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Interesting find...I have not seen one of these 'in hand', but find the explanation interesting. If I still had access to annealing ovens (I do not), I would try that with a few quarters...Perhaps some of the forum members can do the experiment... would be neat to see the theory confirmed. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Could that be a missing clad layer?

  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DIMEMAN said:
    Could that be a missing clad layer?

    That was my original assumption, but I like the annealing explanation better. Now I'm wondering if it would be worth having it slabbed.

  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think weighing it will let you know if it's missing a clad layer.

  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 9,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What does the rim look like? Are there any traces of clad still visible?

    BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW

  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nope. The rim is fully copper colored.

  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well, I sent this in for grading and PCGS sent it back in a little plastic flip with a note Do Not Encapsulate....reason because it's counterfeit. So as far as I know, this is the only counterfeit coin I have. At least, I sure hope so.

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Onastone said:
    Well, I sent this in for grading and PCGS sent it back in a little plastic flip with a note Do Not Encapsulate....reason because it's counterfeit. So as far as I know, this is the only counterfeit coin I have. At least, I sure hope so.

    Thx for the follow up.

    I wonder if it is a counterfeit coin or a counterfeit error on a real coin.

  • Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I live right outside of Philadelphia and didn’t find a single 2019 quarter until December. Still haven’t found a W and haven’t found a silver coin of any denomination in a couple years. Ten years ago when I was working in retail I found a silver coin in change almost every day and got lucky once with a 14-S wheat around the same time.

  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JBK said:

    I wonder if it is a counterfeit coin or a counterfeit error on a real coin.

    What is the difference? Not being snarky, I really don't know. What would a counterfeit error on a real coin be attempting to do? I really thought this was just missing part of it's clad annealing process...still looks pretty real to me, but I have an untrained eye and have a lot more to learn. I wish PCGS would supply more information with graded coins, as why a coin got a 69 vs a 70 or what makes a certain coin counterfeit. I also sent in a coin they sent back with a simple note, unable to authenticate.

  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @mcarney1173 said:
    I live right outside of Philadelphia and didn’t find a single 2019 quarter until December. Still haven’t found a W and haven’t found a silver coin of any denomination in a couple years. Ten years ago when I was working in retail I found a silver coin in change almost every day and got lucky once with a 14-S wheat around the same time.

    And the new 2019 coins are starting to display more wear now, already. Also, I have only found a couple San Antonios and one River of No Return. I'm out in Eastern Massachusetts thinking the source for us is Boston.

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Onastone said:

    @JBK said:

    I wonder if it is a counterfeit coin or a counterfeit error on a real coin.

    What is the difference? Not being snarky, I really don't know. What would a counterfeit error on a real coin be attempting to do?

    I figure it could be a counterfeit coin from start to finish. Struck in copper with a worn or insufficent plating or wash.

    Or, it might be a genuine quarter which someone messed with to make it look like it had an error which would make it valuable (if it was a genuine error).

  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JBK said:

    @Onastone said:

    @JBK said:

    I wonder if it is a counterfeit coin or a counterfeit error on a real coin.

    What is the difference? Not being snarky, I really don't know. What would a counterfeit error on a real coin be attempting to do?

    I figure it could be a counterfeit coin from start to finish. Struck in copper with a worn or insufficent plating or wash.

    Or, it might be a genuine quarter which someone messed with to make it look like it had an error which would make it valuable (if it was a genuine error).

    CF a recent modern quarter? Wow!

    I’m guessing the CFers have nothing on the higher premium to CF?

    Also wondering how many recent moderns are CF; and with the recent release of West Point quarters are they being affected since they are still being sold for many multiples of FV.

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hemispherical said:

    @JBK said:

    @Onastone said:

    @JBK said:

    I wonder if it is a counterfeit coin or a counterfeit error on a real coin.

    What is the difference? Not being snarky, I really don't know. What would a counterfeit error on a real coin be attempting to do?

    I figure it could be a counterfeit coin from start to finish. Struck in copper with a worn or insufficent plating or wash.

    Or, it might be a genuine quarter which someone messed with to make it look like it had an error which would make it valuable (if it was a genuine error).

    CF a recent modern quarter? Wow!

    I’m guessing the CFers have nothing on the higher premium to CF?

    Also wondering how many recent moderns are CF; and with the recent release of West Point quarters are they being affected since they are still being sold for many multiples of FV.

    Its been done. One issue was some years ago when copper slugs with readed edges were dumped into machines. And of course with cheap production costs overseas anything is possible.

    As for fakes of collectable coins of course it can and does happen but I haven't heard of fake W quarters (yet).

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow a counterfeit. I would not have guessed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file