Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1915 Lincoln head cent slabbed by pcgs, what do you think of this coin.

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Especially the obverse looks to have been struck from a leftover matte proof die.
Very attractive coin in a details holder. Should it have been bagged?

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 8:14AM

I agree on the nice obverse strike, but the color looks too bright for me. MS65RB?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they've been tough on color lately

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

I like the front better than the back, but I agree with QC. There is a 1916 MPL with a similar color that I've seen posted here in the past that was bagged also.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it spent some time in the dirty laundry drawer..... ;) Those old gym socks really tarnish copper fast... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a word, 'beautiful'. Sooooo original...makes me want to cry!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 12:39PM

Once had a '15 that had remnants of the die markers for a proof of the same year. Rims weren't sharp enough for a proof but I'm still convinced the mint re-used modified proof dies on business strikes after they were finished striking proofs.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt that the Mint would discard a usable die once it was finished striking proofs. I think it's a logical conclusion that it would subsequently be used to strike circulation strikes. More recently, this has been shown to be the case by the existence of the "Type B" Washington quarters from the 50s and early 60s that were struck by proof dies.

• Options
    JGDcoinsJGDcoins Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Here is my 66RB

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:
    Especially the obverse looks to have been struck from a leftover matte proof die.
    Very attractive coin in a details holder. Should it have been bagged?

I think so (especially the reverse), but then again, it is a True View. What does it look like in hand?

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

questionable color. Nice strike but not proof nice.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, I like them !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin, but my first thought was the color is odd... But great strike!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file