Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Time to experiment?!

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not familiar with SEGS or what may happen next. This Washie has frosty devices but no mirrors. So, I want to give it a quick dip to see if that will change. All at the expense ($20) of losing a beautiful purple face with rainbow edges.
What say You?!

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a fair chance that by the time you are done "experimenting" it will not grade. A better experiment might be to crack it out and send it in as is, the results might surprise you.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 3:52AM

SEGS grades aren't worth the ink they are written with. I've seen AU state quarters in SEGS MS69 holders.

A business strike or SMS coin won't generally have mirrors anyway, it's not a proof. If you don't see luster, it may be a polished AU to begin with or AT. I can't tell from the photos.

I would feel free to experiment.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The experimentation is your decision... however, I will tell you that a dip will not produce 'mirror' fields....and if you like the tarnish, well, that will probably disappear...Good luck...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just remove it from the SEGS holder, don't dip it. If you are going to do anything try acetone first, then maybe an ms70 treatment.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 7:31AM

Very attractive specimen. If you don't like it, sell it as is.

BTW, folks who have never sent a coin to a particular TPGS have no business commenting on them!

I assure you that there is junk, ah...mechanical label errors in every TPGS holder.

PS I don't know why this is not universally known...a brilliant coin is desired by a certain % of collectors. Add color to it and a larger % of folks will want it. Those who like color and those who want to dip it!

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin .
    All good points, I have ruined some coins from dip and helped a few. And with no mirrors on SMS coins in the first place I think I would send it in before removing the color or possibly ruining it.

But, the devil is still in the details because it would have to go up a grade or hit cam just to break even. Or in the unlikely event it did both I would be very pleased.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 7:44AM

It could still upgrade or cameo with the toning and maybe both if it is your lucky day. Dip it and you can spend it at the Piggly Wiggley for a quarter.

• Options

Gotta love this site, I’ll post results later.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

BTW, folks who have never sent a coin to a particular TPGS have no business commenting on them!

I assure you that there is junk, ah...mechanical label errors in every TPGS holder.

PS I don't know why this is not universally known...a brilliant coin is desired by a certain % of collectors. Add color to it and a larger % of folks will want it. Those who like color and those who want to dip it!

I wish I still had my set of MS69 SEGS state quarters to show you. Most of the coins were low end uncs, but many of them were AU. The "SEGS problem" is well known among dealers.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Insider2 said:

I wish I still had my set of MS69 SEGS state quarters to show you. Most of the coins were low end uncs, but many of them were AU. The "SEGS problem" is well known among dealers.

I don't need to see anything! I've seen just about anything o:) in SEGS slabs including correctly and undergraded coins. There are overgraded coins in SEGS holders too. They are not considered a major TPGS. SEGS is such a "problem" that many folks buy their coins and cross them. I don't call that a "problem." The coins are what they are - buy the coin not the holder they say.

• Options

Okay, now the question becomes submit raw or crossover? I wouldn't think the outcome would differ. The pros and cons have probably sparked lots of debates here...

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those SEG holders are really tuff to cut, imo.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Okay, now the question becomes submit raw or crossover? I wouldn't think the outcome would differ. The pros and cons have probably sparked lots of debates here...

How much are you wanting to spend?

-Raw is straight forward. Grading fee.

-Crossover is grading fee + 1% of the value of the coin in its final grade per price guide

• Options

Sounds like two good reasons to use crossover. I won't need any band aids and incentivizes a higher grade.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Insider2 said:

You might be thinking of SGS. That is the self-slabber that marks most coins as 69 or 70.
    http://coinauctionshelp.com/SGS_TPGS.html#.XOWi1hZOmEc

SEGS, while it does have plenty of issues, is not known for giving MS 69 grades to State Quarters.

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    Those SEG holders are really tuff to cut, imo.

Yes. Very hard plastic. Took me a couple hours to break out the quarters for the coin star

• Options

A concrete floor and a hammer is all I ever needed. SEGS was not around at the time but The basement of PCI in TN was littered with PCGS, NGC, and ANACS plastic. LOL!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file