Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best Canon macro lens for coins

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2019 9:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I got a copy stand for my iPhone only to learn my iPhone doesn't take good pics :(

So, now I need to get a macro lens for my Canon dSLR and a good copy stand to go with it.

I've been looking at the following lens for my first coin lens. I know different focal lengths can affect how far away the camera can be positioned which affects how you can position your lights.

Any thoughts on the following to lens? Any recommendations for other lens?

Comments

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't recommend the L. For coin shots, I don't think it's worth the additional cost. And either will be about 100x better than an iPhone.

Assuming budget is a factor, I'd look at the Tamron 90mm. I haven't personally used it, but have read good things about it and it compares well to the Canon 100mm.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll never use the Auto Focus so wondering if there's a older Manual Macro lens that will meter with your DLSR?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 10:19PM

@Davideo said:
    Assuming budget is a factor, I'd look at the Tamron 90mm. I haven't personally used it, but have read good things about it and it compares well to the Canon 100mm.

I spend so much on coins that I can afford the lens. I have other L lens but I also have a manual Rokinon I got for the Northern Lights. I figure if I got the L, I could use it for other things as well. Of course, any money I save on the lens is already spent on coins :D

The Tamron 90mm doesn't look that much cheaper than the L.

• TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 10:21PM

You didn’t tell us what body you are using?

I have both lens you listed. The L won’t make a difference (edit for coins). I shoot with a 5d.

If you don’t care about the money just get the L. All my lens are L except my 35 which I used on my 40a long time ago.

edited May 21, 2019 10:22PM

@Traz said:
    You didn’t tell us what body you are using?

I have both lens you listed. The L won’t make a difference. I shoot with a 5d

I have a 5d Mark II

• TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

You’ll be happy with either then. I started with the non L and bought the L. Such a minor difference it’s not even worth it unless you are publishing or want to use it for some other photography. I’d just buy the L if you’re not worried about price.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Good reviews there. 😀 enjoy

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 10:32PM

Nikon guy here, but photography is photography....

There is really no need for AF for most macro photography, coins or otherwise. Unless you want to try to catch flying insects or hummingbirds or something moving. Macro photography is generally a manual affair (with the help of the focus indicator) -- the depth of focus for macro photography makes taking control manually a critical skill and something not left to autofocus in most situations.

I'd go with the cheaper one, but don't let anyone stop you from splurging if you wanna splurge. :)

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

@Traz said:
    You’ll be happy with either then. I started with the non L and bought the L. Such a minor difference it’s not even worth it unless you are publishing or want to use it for some other photography. I’d just buy the L if you’re not worried about price.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Good reviews there. 😀 enjoy

Sounds good. Great to hear the personal experience. I intend to publish and hopefully use for other photography. Thanks! :)

edited May 21, 2019 10:32PM

@MikeInFL said:
    Nikon guy here, but photography is photography....

There is really no need for AF for most macro photography, coins or otherwise. Unless you want to try to catch flying insects or hummingbirds or something. Macro photography is generally a manual affair (with the help of the focus indicator).

I'd go with the cheaper one, but don't let anyone stop you from splurging if you wanna splurge. :)

I was just thinking about posting a token I recently purchased under the topic "burning money" :D

Well, let's see it! :)

edited May 21, 2019 10:41PM

@MikeInFL said:

It's my "Laura" Sperber token.

There's really no reason to own this except for fun. As I said, burning money ;)

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm happy with the EF 100mm USM.
    Tiny 11mm coin

@Zoins said:

@MikeInFL said:

It's my "Laura" Sperber token.

There's really no reason to own this except for fun. As I said, burning money ;)

Oh dear, there goes the thread.

I think I'm sorry I asked....

...only joking. :)

Thanks for sharing....Mike

edited May 21, 2019 10:48PM

p.s. why not the 180mm if you really wanna splurge? More height gives you better lighting angles, IMO, and bigger is better, after all. ;)

Compliments of Nikon 200mm:

edited May 21, 2019 11:00PM

@MikeInFL said:
    p.s. why not the 180mm if you really wanna splurge? More height gives you better lighting angles, IMO, and bigger is better, after all. ;)

That's a good thought and a great photo too. In my first post above I mentioned a longer focal length allows more flexibility in lighting and was wondering how much more flexibility do you get and if I'm starting off with one lens, which is the best to get.

I recall reading someone having both a 100mm and a 180mm but using the 100mm like 90% of the time for coins.

Do you use the 200mm Nikon all the time for coins or do you use other lens as well?

Here's the Canon:

edited May 21, 2019 11:18PM

I would stick with the 100mm as an all around lens, since you can shoot coins and most full slab shoots.

Using a 180-200mm comfort wise all depends what your copy stand is placed on and how tall you are?

Not bad for a few pics... But if shooting 5 boxes of 20 you need to be hunched over the camera comfortably.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using a cheapeee, $20.00 and it gives me this,
    with other options or filters you could say. The stand broke the first week so I made one out of a metal paper towel stand as to slide up or down with some what of a stage at the base. One problem , I cant the whole coin. still working on it

edited May 21, 2019 11:47PM

@Broadstruck said:
    I would stick with the 100mm as an all around lens, as you can shoot coins and most full slab shoots.

Using a 180-200mm comfort wise all depends what your copy stand is placed on and how tall you are?

Not bad for a few pics... But if shooting 5 boxes of 20 you need to be hunched over the camera comfortably.

I'm not against putting the copy stand on the floor if that helps, but if 100mm is more flexible, I could start with that.

I'm also thinking of attaching an external monitor to the camera which has been posted here before, so I don't have to be staring into a tiny screen on the back of the camera.

I'd prefer to have a super small / compact photo setup, but I'm thinking this may not be possible. :/

Here's @lkeigwin's setup with a mounted 200mm lens.

Here's @YQQ's setup with axial lighting. Thinking of starting off with direct lighting since it seems to be simpler.

Well if you notice he's showing 180mm, 90mm, and 50mm lenses.

Your 100mm will be a good starter lens that can cover most of your coin photography needs.

I sold my 200mm... I use a 90mm for most everything and a 50mm for full slabs.

I can do full slabs with the 90mm if I'm too lazy to swap lenses for just 1 or 2 slab shots.

The 180mm lens would be like the third lens you buy, not the first.

edited May 21, 2019 11:58PM

@Broadstruck said:
    Well if you notice he's showing 180mm, 90mm, and 50mm lenses.

Your 100mm will be a good starter lens that can cover most of your coin photography needs.

I sold my 200mm... I use a 90mm for most everything and a 50mm for full slabs.

I can do full slabs with the 90mm if I'm too lazy to swap lenses for just 1 or 2 slab shots.

The 180mm lens would be like the third lens you buy, not the first.

Good info. I'm leaning towards the 100mm.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 11:45AM

This is my current set up. It has a bellows system with an enlarging lens, and I can remove it and use my different lens if I want to. The first one is set up for shooting a full slab and it’s tethered to the laptop. It has 2 built in Ikea Jansjo lights built into it. I went ahead and Diffused them and generally use a total of 4 Jansjo lights. It was built by RPMS aka Ray. This is his newest #10 Set up. Here is his web site should you want to browse his different configuations.

http://www.macrocoins.com/example-system-10.html

The second is for single coins and it’s very easy to use. It’s so easy to use I rarely switch to use my lens. I have the Cannon EFS macro 3 of 4 of them down 55. It has a Cannon 6ti camera a low cost beginners camera. Perfect for me. I just need to learn on how to really use the camera cause I have very limited experience.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

You do not need the "L" lens

IMO your best choice would be: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

That is one of the 3 Canon macro lenses that I own, which gets used the most for coin photos.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a Sigma 105 with my 5D MkII and pretty happy with the results.

Proper lights set-up will be a bigger challenge.

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

I'll also add that I get pretty much all my gear used. Obviously it's a little cheaper up front and it makes it easier to try different things out. Lenses in particular hold there value pretty well, so you can pick up a used lens, try it for 6 months and then likely get all but $50-$100 back if you want to sell it for a different option.

• FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canon - EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Lens is $300 at Bestbuy,

The led lights in the lens is nice for raw coins, I find to get the good toning shot in a slab I need to back it up and move the coin to the side and crop it out. still a lot of resolution left.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 7:53PM

I use the original EF 100 mm f/2.8 Macro (non-USM).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_100mm_lens
    This was sold only in Japan, but you can get one used in excellent condition on ebay from sellers in Japan.
    I bought one last year for $120 including shipping.
    My understanding is that USM is for quieter autofocus when shooting wildlife, like birds.
    I also have an extension tube that is helpful for shooting smaller coins like half dimes.

I never use auto focus with the macro lens for coins.
    I have the camera plugged into my Windows PC and use my large monitor to manually focus,
    using the (free) Canon EOS Utility software.
    Like @FullHorn's setup above.
    I use a Kaiser RS-1 copy stand that I got from craigslist in January for $100.

• RABRAB Posts: 132 ✭✭✭✭

Photography is a pretty serious hobby of mine aside from coin collecting, so I have both the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro and the EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro. I've used both for coins, and my preference is for the 180mm - I really appreciate the flexibility with lighting, especially high angle lighting. That said, the 100mm non-L does a really nice job. Copy stand (Kaiser RS-1) is on the floor, and tall enough that I can get a full slab shot. I use the live view mode for focusing (zoomed in on rear LCD) and shoot tethered to Lightroom for photo review as I shoot.

edited May 23, 2019 3:39AM

@Gluggo said:
    This is my current set up. It has a bellows system with an enlarging lens, and I can remove it and use my different lens if I want to. The first one is set up for shooting a full slab and it’s tethered to the laptop. It has 2 built in Ikea Jansjo lights built into it. I went ahead and Diffused them and generally use a total of 4 Jansjo lights. It was built by RPMS aka Ray. This is his newest #10 Set up. Here is his web site should you want to browse his different configuations.

http://www.macrocoins.com/example-system-10.html

Great link @Gluggo! I remember seeing his post here. Looks like it should be tall enough for a 180/200mm. I liked the idea of these because the base is a lot smaller than on other copy stands.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1015270/copy-stand-coin-photography-systems

Looking at the following page shows a lot of great options! Need to take time to study it.

http://www.macrocoins.com/example-systems-1.html

And by the way, great photos @Swampboy, @MikeInFL, @FullHorn, @RAB, and @BryceM. I love seeing the photos connected to the equipment!

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 3:41AM

I also have the 100mm L and have 2 other takes on why the L makes more sense. The L will always be an easier resell. And while the 180mm will offer more lighting options (ive owned the sigma), for large coins you might find that more options the other way might be of use. The closer lens will allow for shots that require less light. Think proof and PL coins where more light washes out the mirrors. The 180 had more trouble with low light because it was so far away.
    The price difference IMO is negligible at these stakes.

I did skimp on my copy stand though and that I would say go with the R1 for sure if you can throw that extra $500 to it. Im considering adding one.

@Gluggo can you tell me about this thing?

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

ACop that was the stand/platform that Ray included. It has a fine up or down adjustment should you want to zero in the sharpness. In case you do not want to use the fine adjustment nob on the copy stand. Gives you a few options.

edited May 23, 2019 1:28PM

@Zoins said:

Do you use the 200mm Nikon all the time for coins or do you use other lens as well?

I had a 100mm (and a 90mm) macro lens but sold it (them) after getting the 200mm. It was that much better...and thus my question to you. But again, my experience was Nikon 100/Tamron 90/Nikon 200, rather than their Canon counterparts, so please do consider that.

I used to dabble quite a bit with other types of macro photography, but haven't done much of it in the past few years. For every insect or lizard photo, I probably have 100 of coins. :)

The only drawback of the longer lens (other than the price lol) is that at the same distance you have an even thinner DoF, so a bit more care in terms of aperture size is required to compensate.

Hope this helps...Mike

edited May 23, 2019 1:30PM

@ACop said:

Fabulous photos. Tell me, how much sharpening do you apply to the photos? Do you do it in-camera, post production, or some combination of the above. Please don't take this the wrong way, but that buff shot looks oversharpened to my eyes. Fabulous exposure and color, but a touch oversharp. Then again, I don't know what those coins really look like in hand, and thus the question. Respectfully asked, of course....Mike

edited May 23, 2019 2:34PM

I didnt add any post sharpening to that and I dont think the camera did either. Ill have to check the settings. That image is the "raw" jpeg so maybe the jpeg conversion added some. But I think what youre seeing might be poor lighting techniques on my part more than anything.

I think the forum also resizes it, that may add processing. But im pretty sure it just bad lighting and overexposure. You can see the full size jpg here http://coinrainbows.com/misc/newsu/IMG_0028.JPG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file