Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Something more in your pay envelope this week?

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2019 9:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

An unexpectedly heavy pay envelope 95 years ago did not mean Treasury workers got a hefty raise.

[Stock photo not from Andrew Mellon's personal stash of silver dollars that he used to pay the Soviets for discounted old masters' paintings stolen from the Hermitage in St. Petersberg when the US was not supposed to be doing any business with the Communists or their agents, but heck ! he was only Secretary of the Treasury.]

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

200,000,000 toz of Ag for India.

That would be something to receive Ag $1 for pay in this day.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

So not really a raise, just subbing silver for paper?

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s QE old-timer style

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Wish they'd put a silver dollar in my paycheck nowadays.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

In 1924 the silver in the dollar was worth 67 cents.

• Options

Someplace, I have a table showing the location and content of silver dollars in Philadelphia Mint vaults -- sometime around 1926...? If enough members are interested I'll reserve some time to look for it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB.... That would be interesting information.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, pay envelopes filled with paper money and coins. I still hold by my pet theory that half dollars used to circulate because company paymasters used half dollars to more quickly count out net pay totals between $xx.50 and $xx.99, and when the business world started issuing pay CHECKS rather than pay ENVELOPES the demand for half dollars fell dramatically.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I agree about the initial circulation of halves in pay envelopes. The break down occurred once a merchant deposited the halves, they were not again paid out by banks.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grandfather worked for the city of Philadelphia. He came home with 5 silver dollars every payday. I don't know if he stopped at a bank or received them in the pay envelope.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Written by Sir Humphrey Appleby ?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    I agree about the initial circulation of halves in pay envelopes. The break down occurred once a merchant deposited the halves, they were not again paid out by banks.

Many merchants did give them back out in change. I remember getting halves in change for small purchases paid for with a dollar bill.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mother was a US Navy pay officer from 1944 to 1946 stationed in San Francisco.

She told me that sailors and marines were paid in cash to the nearest two dollars, bills only no coins.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

@RogerB said:

Many merchants did give them back out in change. I remember getting halves in change for small purchases paid for with a dollar bill.

True. However the rate of pay out was much lower than for smaller denominations, so a half dollar did not get as many "touches" in a year as a quarter. Hence, it did not overall circulate as well. Getting better circulation from halves was part of the reason for separate designs for subsidiary silver in 1916. The Mint Bureau liked halves because it took half the work to produce twice the value of coins - which looked good to Congress.

:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file