Home U.S. Coin Forum

1750 Pillar Dollar Thoughts

ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

I do not have possession of this coin to weigh, etc. What are your thoughts on the look regarding authentic or not. It may be fine but looked off at first glance. Perhaps due to a past cleaning? Wondering what the experts think?

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am leaning towards genuine, abused, but it is no sure thing.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 12:06PM

Polished to death, unfortunately....even it's ''reale", it may not be worth much in that state.
    To add - it looks like they got their money's worth out of that holder, too.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm leaning toward counterfeit. The shape of the hemispheres varies by date; by this I mean multiple differences exist in the series. Never seen one looking remotely like this one. If it is damage, it is certainly concentrated in this area.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either a counterfeit, or a severely polished original. Can you post the edge?

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

I'm leaning toward cast. Can you weigh it? Does it pass the ring test?

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Hard pass

Oh yeah, definitely - don't waste your money either way.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like they removed it from it's 2x2 to shine it up a little then put back into the same one before taking the glamour shot.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote C/F by the image. The edge will be the kicker and we cannot see it.

BTW, the counterfeits of these coins have not been made by casting FOR DECADES!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks polished to me. not my series so ill stay away from it

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save your money for a nice coin - and avoid any that resemble this. (Presumably the number "750" refers to the quantity you can buy for $1.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file