Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever Buy your wife a coin and then sell it?

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2019 9:51AM in U.S. Coin Forum

For years I have been buying major error coins for my birth year and my children's birth years. My wife had little interest in error coins so I resisted buying coins for her birth year. For some reason, many examples of major error coins from her birth year just came to market within the last year or so.

So I started buying her (me) some very nice 3 and 4 figure error coins. Like all my coins, I put them into inventory. The coins seem to sell in days and I just can't hold onto them. I think I should have been buying her birth year coins all along ;)

I just got this one in and showed it to her yesterday .....

Comments

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as she enjoys the cash from the sale, I would imagine she would be fine with it ;)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome @Hydrant!

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bough my wife a 1942 6 coin proof set, probably 50 years ago. Sold it several years later at a nice profit and she could care less.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

If you live in a community property state, all you buy are hers.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I had never seen an "eleven cent" piece dated 1965 until about 4 or 5 months ago when I won one at auction.

I showed it to the wife and she thought it was cool. Put it into inventory. It sold in about a week. I was kinda bummed being the first year of the clad issue and all. I then quickly located two other examples of an eleven cent piece of that date and bought them up. One sold two weeks later. WOW.

I really, really do not want to sell this last one ...... ;)

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 1:41PM

No way would I sell such a coin. Here's one she saw at a coin show and said she liked so I bought it for her. I don't normally buy certified bullion but she likes it so it's a permanent edition to my (her) collection. I can remember buying this coin from Steven Sanders (may he RIP) about 10 years ago. He was absolutely the best coin dealer I even dealt with.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

....or how about Selling Coins to Pay Off A Wife
    in a divorce ?

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 2:59PM

I wouldn't dare do something so foolish, but I did give her a decent chunk of silver for our recent 25th anniversary. When I do notify her of a coin acquisition, her favorite comment is "Equal and opposite reaction."

Usually this takes the form of furniture, or a remodel, or a family vacation, or clothes, or a new car, or ...........

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago bought raw XF/AU common gold type for her to wear. Closest I've come. No luck in stimulating interest otherwise.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, and then sold them all during hard times.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 5:35PM

My ex-wife called.
    She said that, based on many many other coin dealer's wives' and ex-wives' anecdotal remarks, you're a dumb-ass. :'(

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

No I have never bought my wife a coin. But this is probably the closest thing to it that I bought her. She loves clowns and it’s in the original case. In the end everything is hers anyway.

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 6:39PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Batman23 said:
    As long as she enjoys the cash from the sale, I would imagine she would be fine with it ;)

She really likes error coins now :)

You are lucky, Chris. I am still trying to convince my wife and son to get interested in error coins. My wife prefers circulated/uncirculated banknotes more... :|

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife is very understanding about myself buying coins .

She just takes the credit card and treats herself as well to something she likes.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 8:05PM

.> @bidask said:

My wife is very understanding about myself buying coins .

She just takes the credit card and treats herself as well to something she likes.

I believe that to be the identical approach to that taken by Dr, James Wilkison, the celebrated gold pattern collector, and his spouse. :# And President Ferdinand Marcos of the Philippines :'(
    So apparently there are still mixed reviews. :*

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    So, I had never seen an "eleven cent" piece dated 1965 until about 4 or 5 months ago when I won one at auction.

I showed it to the wife and she thought it was cool. Put it into inventory. It sold in about a week. I was kinda bummed being the first year of the clad issue and all. I then quickly located two other examples of an eleven cent piece of that date and bought them up. One sold two weeks later. WOW.

I really, really do not want to sell this last one ...... ;)

I think your prices are too low ;)

• Options
    DontTellTheWifeDontTellTheWife Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Nope, never bought the wife a coin

But prior to every show , I always ask if she needs anything!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased a couple of coins for my wife.... she does show appreciation and puts them on display... Though she is not a coin collector, the one's I purchased have a theme she does like...and no, I have not sold any...her's or mine... ;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file