Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone have the first series they worked to put together? Show it if so!

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I do not have a single series built yet! Mainly due to my lack of patience or thrown off by a new variety I had seen for the first time, Wich trickles into many denominations and my entanglement into the the endless void lol (Variety’s is what got me introduced into the hobby)Something I need to work on as I really just have a big lump of coins and nothing is complete yet. -_- So with that being said I would love to see or hear about your first set you put together! Am I the only one here struggling to stay on one series? I am truly a sucker for early copper 😁

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago, as a YN... I did a limited Lincoln series... almost all of my coins disappeared when I left home for the Navy...No series left, and just a few of my special coins that I had 'hidden away' survived....Since then I did a couple of series, but they do not qualify. Cheers, RickO

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I gotcha! I imagine it would be a tough run to still have it in all together without any escaping early on. Thanks for sharing!

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still have my raw set of Franklin Halves. I undertook the "challenge" since it was cheap and easy, and I had never seen one before, to my memory. (This was the late 90's, and I was new to the hobby).

I learned a lot about "what constitutes MS?" A good lesson to start with! With the exception of the 49-S, (badly hairlined...learned something there too!), it's a pretty respectable looking group.

(But, I don't have pictures).

It's among the things on my list of things to sell in order to consolidate and uncomplicate my "holdings". ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have my Lincoln Cent, Jefferson and Liberty Nickle sets from back in the day (70's & 80"s) in their Whitman albums (not folders)...back at the house. I have not looked at them in years, other than glancing at the binder edges...there may be some toning after all this time.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 10:01AM

Yes. A complete Jefferson set 1938-present all collected from circulation and a complete penny set 1909-58. I started the Lincoln set when I was 7? years old. All the coins were from circulation except the 14-D and the 1922-plain. I gave up on those two and only completed the set around five years ago. I did get the 1909-S V.D.B. from circulation. Actually one of my sons got it in change at the school cafeteria and he gave it to me. He didn't know what it was but just that it was old. It's fake. Still, I put in the set. Good enough for me. Oddly enough, the final coin for completion in the album was a 1958. That one took quite awhile to get. Go figure.

The reason it took so long to get the 1958 was because I was determined to get one from circulation. The original '58 had most likely fallen out of the folder. And.....searching through all my junk pennies there were no 58's.

@TommyType said:
    Still have my raw set of Franklin Halves. I undertook the "challenge" since it was cheap and easy, and I had never seen one before, to my memory. (This was the late 90's, and I was new to the hobby).

I learned a lot about "what constitutes MS?" A good lesson to start with! With the exception of the 49-S, (badly hairlined...learned something there too!), it's a pretty respectable looking group.

(But, I don't have pictures).

It's among the things on my list of things to sell in order to consolidate and uncomplicate my "holdings". ;)

I really enjoy Franklin halves! I bet lolol

@oih82w8 said:
    I still have my Lincoln Cent, Jefferson and Liberty Nickle sets from back in the day (70's & 80"s) in their Whitman albums (not folders)...back at the house. I have not looked at them in years, other than glancing at the binder edges...there may be some toning after all this time.

I would imagine so!! That is a long keep my friend! If you ever get around to opening the covers I would love to see what the album did to them :D

@Hydrant said:
    Yes. A complete Jefferson set 1938-present all collected from circulation and a complete penny set 1909-58. I started the Lincoln set when I was 7? years old. All the coins were from circulation except the 14-D and the 1922-plain. I gave up on those two and only completed the set around five years ago. I did get the 1909-S V.D.B. from circulation. Actually one of my sons got it in change at the school cafeteria and he gave it to me. He didn't know what it was but just that it was old. It's fake. Still, I put in the set. Good enough for me. Oddly enough, the final coin for completion in the album was a 1958. That one took quite awhile to get. Go figure.

The reason it took so long to get the 1958 was because I was determined to get one from circulation. The original '58 had most likely fallen out of the folder. And.....searching through all my junk pennies there were no 58's.

Out of all of them the 58! Haha awesome thanks for sharing!

Wow what a set!! I love the color you have in there, Type sets most certainly do count. As for the peace dollars I do not doubt it. Thank you for sharing that!! > @BryceM said:

Does a type set count? The first "series" I completed was probably a 20th Century Type Set. Virtually every coin in the set has been upgraded once or twice since version 1.0, but I still have the latest incarnation. No changes have been made for a couple of years:

The first actual series I completed was a set of 24 business-strike Peace dollars. Eventually the set got to be too valuable to just sit around and they are being enjoyed by others now.

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Does a type set count? The first "series" I completed was probably a 20th Century Type Set. Virtually every coin in the set has been upgraded once or twice since version 1.0, but I still have the latest incarnation. No changes have been made for a couple of years:

The first actual series I completed was a set of 24 business-strike Peace dollars. Eventually the set got to be too valuable to just sit around and they are being enjoyed by others now.

LOVE IT!

Are the coins in an actual holder like this or have you screen cropped the images into it? Just fabulous. This is a set I have to put together now.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins are all slabbed. If you see my SigLine it will take you to the Registry Set, which also has a digital album. I took the photographs and did a composite image with the Apollo background. I think it would look stupendous in an actual custom holder like this, but it would require cracking out the coins and I'm not in the financially stupid mood to do it. Here are the reverses:

Once again. A marvelous set!!

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first soiree into completing a set was with Charlotte Half Eagles. Sold about half of them to pursue another passion - early Capped Bust Right & Bust Left Half Eagles. I've since decided to rebuild the C-mint collection, only much more focused on quality.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

"I'm not hung up on this 'completion' thing" - Nick, The Big Chill

• OldMasterOldMaster Posts: 19 ✭✭

Yes, I still have my first Lincoln cent folder I started as a Cub Scout in late 1963, I believe. This pic shows series #2 that began with 1941-dated coins. My recollection is nearly finishing it within a year or two from rolls of cents my dad would bring home from work. My older brother and I spent many a night at a card table busily checking dates and filling holes. Later, probably in high school, I briefly rekindled my interest in coins as noted by the handwritten dates beginning in 1964.

Years later, after the silver boom in 1980, I dug out this and other coin folders from my parent's attic (yes, they saved these as well as my baseball card collection!), sold the silver, spent the nickels, but kept only this folder as a memento of childhood. It was tempting to fill the remaining holes and perhaps even upgrade, but I resisted, wanting to keep it just the way I found it, sort of like a time capsule.

Finally, all coins except one were found in rolls as described above. That coin is the 1949-S, which was given to me by a friend of my mother who also happened to collect coins. Not sure how it happened, but Mom must have mentioned to her that I was still looking for this coin and she must have had an extra one. All I remember was being called to the front door – Mom was chatting with someone – and this lady said she had a surprise for me. "Hold out your hand," she said, and then placed the '49-S in my hand. I was probably about 9 or 10, but I remember this incident as clear as a bell.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file