Home Metal Detecting
Options

Alabama metal detecting

Hello, I moved to northern alabama last year from California and I don't really know the area well. I am also used to scanning the beach. I have covered most of my yard and discovered that the previous residents were penny pinchers, but had no problem tossing their garbage about. And there's no gold in my top soil. Does anyone know a good location to find gold or old coins. Or maybe just a place to find something more interesting than old tool bits, chewed up beer cans, kids toy cars, and balls of burnt aluminum foil.
Also, if anyone know a good metal detecting club in the area that would be nice too.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning and welcome. Use the Google to find archived info on early fire insurance maps, fair grounds, hospitals. Sometimes you have to pull the junk out of the ground in order to find the good stuff. Turn your discrimination up to ignore the iron. Have fun. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CollectorBonEZ... Welcome aboard... @Namvet69 has good suggestions for fruitful sites.... Garbage is part of MD'ing though.... Pop top can pieces being the bane of MD'rs.... Often one can find some good items once the garbage has been cleaned out... but not always. Good luck... and let us know how it goes... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old topo maps show areas of civilization [structures, roads, churches, schools etc.] that are long gone, those may be good spots to try.
    I'm not familiar with Alabama, but is seems to help here in New England. :smile:
    Good luck, welcome aboard, keep trying.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck and have fun !!! :)

Timbuk3