Home U.S. Coin Forum

2010 penny D error or damage?

ive got a 2010 penny wich is so blurry. i dont know if it is from damage or an error?

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, let me ask where this came from if I could. Out of a fresh roll? Out of pocket change? Picked up in a Walmart parking lot? It's 9 years old so if it's been out in the wild, as they say, then it's likely PMD (post mint damage). If it came from a new roll or mint set there can be a further conversation.
    My guess is PMD. What was your guess? If you think it's a mint made error of some sort could you please let us know what error(s) you think that it has.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is... drumroll please (drum noise)... post mint damage. Better luck next time; it is possible to find errors I have found a few off centers and cuds myself.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not have touched that cent. :s

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you been inoculated against......

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Inoculated: means protected against illness (like a influenza sera). It was meant to be funny but that didn't translate well.
    I don't see the stars and would need better pictures.
    oh, and welcome.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jcb23000....Welcome aboard.... Your cent has PMD (Post Mint Damage) and no numismatic premium... I do not see the 'stars' you reference.... Cheers, RickO

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin suffered environmental damage after it left the mint. Copper is a very reactive metal and many substances will cause it to change color and/or corrode. Whatever was in contact with your coin, it left the stains you see. Sorry, but it isn't an error.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stained/enviornmental damage to the surfaces.

I don't see any stars either ?

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file