Home U.S. Coin Forum

Incredible Bank Heist Pennies

rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Almost finished with dimes (Waiting for new more usable microscope).
So I started to look at my new pennies from the heist.
Opened a 1943p roll (one of two).
Here is the 50 of them

So you notice 19 on the right have a different whitish coating that the others do not have. Remember they are all from the same roll probably not opened since the early 70s. I'm thinking first time in a roll.
I noticed a coppery edge on the 19 and a little copper tone (not rust) on some of the 19 obverse and reverse faces

I know your going to say rust right. Well the pic of the two individual pennies, the one on the left does have some rust on the face.
The edges and the face edges all are copper in color.
I am stumped. Took a magnet to all of them they are steel.
I have from the same source 8 other rolls of 43 pennies and I looked at all of them and did not find another Penney like these 19
By the way the 19 do not have any rust on the edges while the other 21 in that roll have rust on the edges.
weighed them against 19 of the others and they were the same exactly.
I am sure there is a simple explanation (I am a newbee remember)
You have some splaining to do Lucy

A world without coins "Chaos"

Comments

• rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

By the way I just noticed they are all uncirculated the wheat on the obverse shows absolutely no wear

All the others are uncirc as well so they must be an original bank roll

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

The copper could be transfer from other cents if they were mixed in a bag and shuffled around a while.
    I'm not a fan of circulated steel cents and you are looking at the reason why.

Collector, occasional seller

they are uncirculated . Therefore never in a bag

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmuniak said:
    they are uncirculated . Therefore never in a bag

What does “uncirculated” have to do with never having been in a bag? Uncirculated coins can be found in bags, as can circulated coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Sorry. I am a newbee. Educate me. Just trying to rationalize these coins. Can you give me an explanation for the copper.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's oxidation, also known as rust. The white is also oxidation. Uncirculated or not, they are rusty culls.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019 4:24PM

And, as best I can tell from those photos, the coins are not uncirculated. Go look at the PCGS photo grade photos if you want to see what an unc actually looks like

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019 10:45PM

I have a feeling that we are all going to hear a lot more about your future spectacular HEISTS,......until we don't.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of those are oxidized beyond redemption...some of the one's with 'copper' appearance, look to have been in a bag or jar with copper cents and have copper transfer due to rub....Difficult to judge from pictures...Cheers, RickO

that sounds reasonable. I will try in the future to get better photos. Your one of the guys who doesn't make me feel like a moron. Thanks for that

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The white oxidation is on the zinc coating. The rust is on the steel where the zinc coating has worn away. Those cents were probably in a very moist environment for a long time. They are of no numismatic interest and are worth only face value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The white oxidation is on the zinc coating. The rust is on the steel where the zinc coating has worn away. Those cents were probably in a very moist environment for a long time. They are of no numismatic interest and are worth only face value.

Even in poor condition, as steel cents/wheat cents, they might fetch a few cents each.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@291fifth said:

Even in poor condition, as steel cents/wheat cents, they might fetch a few cents each.

Are there really "collector hoarders" out there that are dumb enough to buy such coins for a premium? Unfortunately, you may be right. :s

All glory is fleeting.
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@291fifth said:

That's for sure. Very often,the low grade, rusted steels are the ones that you see as 'reprocessed'. With that shiny new plating. I guess they run them through some 'navel jelly' or some such substance that removes the rust, then they're plated and subsequently sold.......

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there is always some kind of market. There may be uses far beyond what you can envision.

As was mentioned, the raw material for reprocessed cents presumably comes from sources such as the OP's rolls.

I also have a project that I will start sooner or later that will involve about 5000 cents from the WWII years. including 1943. I won't be using collectable coins for the most part.

edited May 21, 2019 9:20AM

These things just don't last in sub-optimal environments. They make decent fridge magnets though.

@Hydrant said:
    I have a feeling that we are all going to hear a lot more about your future spectacular HEISTS,......until we don't.

Say what you will, but I am enjoying hearing about these finds.

Thanks for keeping up the conversation.
    You know it's a whole hell of a lot more fun than opening up rolls and rolls of pennies and finding maybe one wheat and a shiny new 59.
    Even if they are worth a penny or more each, they can make for good swapping

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ones on the left look reprocessed to me. Reprocessed steel cents typically show circulation wear and corrosion and are abnormally shiny and bright due to the application of fresh zinc plating.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 8:59PM

@ChrisH821 said:

@Hydrant said:

ChrisH821.... I think you are a bit too cynical. I AM very much looking forward to more spectacular " BANK HIESTS" from rmuniak..........until I don't.

TIME WILL TELL

@Hydrant said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@Hydrant said:

ChrisH821.... I think you are a bit too cynical. I could be and most probably are wrong about that. Either way I AM looking forward to more spectacular " BANK HIESTS" post threads from rmuniak..........until I don't.

TIME WILL TELL

Ah, yes I probably am :/ I thought your post was meant another way.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would buy special label the Great heist holder as Genuine on the dates worthy. On the others I would boil water and create a soap soak. Paint will loosen if paint is water based. The rise for along time air dry on angle make sure no water remain. Then soak in 100% acetone. Don’t agitate to much. Soak for a day to week. Then enjoy you new treasure.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never mind not real bank blue die. Just these kind right?

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@MFeld said:

@291fifth said:

Are there really "collector hoarders" out there that are dumb enough to buy such coins for a premium? Unfortunately, you may be right. :s

There are, and he is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file