edited May 20, 2019 11:33AM in U.S. Coin Forum

"Australian finds A$100,000 gold nugget using metal detector"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-48331769

[Copyright FINDERS KEEPERS GOLD PROSPECTING]

Plus - it's not rusty !

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nugget that size would make my gold metal detector go crazy, wow!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's insane! :o

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shazam!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happens on a daily basis in Australia. On mother's day a family out for a walk, with their dogs, found a 20 ounce laying on top of the ground, no detector needed. A 79 oz nugget was unearthed in Victoria recently as well. Australia is home to the largest nuggets ever found. Two main gold fields, Western Australia desert and Victoria (far south).

Fun to read about them.

bob :)
    http://m.theweek.com/speedreads/841749/dog-named-lucky-helped-family-find-24000-gold-nugget

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Man that is one nice potato. I think it's a Yukon gold! Peace Roy

arghhh....nice pun, Spud ! :)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    "Australian finds A$100,000 gold nugget using metal detector"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-48331769

[Copyright FINDERS KEEPERS GOLD PROSPECTING]

Plus - it's not rusty !

1.4kg nugget. Over three pounds!

http://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/kalgoorlie-wa

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

How in the world does that happen?

• Options

That’d be my luck (a spec of gold), or worse, a gust of wind blows by then it’d be my luck.

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray
    It might come true (run run ooo)
    Baby, then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do
    We could…

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:
    Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray
    It might come true (run run ooo)
    Baby, then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do
    We could…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nZBKFoeDKJo

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see the hole that the large nugget came from.

I've bought more then I've gotten from the wild.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this thread, so thought I'd drive to California and buy a lotto ticket...maybe I'd get lucky like these fine folks. But got caught in a creeping slow backup and took two hours just to get halfway to California (usual round trip is two hours to get tickets). Took the nearest exit and came home....no lotto for me today!

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@rte592 said:

I'd like to see the hole that the large nugget came from.

>

Within a mile of those buckets :D;)

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

This had me rolling, thanks, so clever, I needed that!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019 1:58PM

And he probably had to lure a crocodile away with a giant spider so he had time to dig it up and get out of Dodge. After all, in Australia, even the gold will kill you if you're not careful.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind finding something that starts with the
    first three letters in my garden.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, "sweet" !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding a gold nugget like that could be fatal to someone with a weak heart.... WOW... can you imagine the adrenaline rush?? I have found small nuggets... 6 and 7 gram size... and I was super excited....Finding that monster would call for a three day celebration... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited May 21, 2019 11:33AM

RE: ErrorsOnCoins' hand.
    Just for fun here are some of my thoughts about the hand in the photo. (His photo is, to me, more fun than the original.)

1. Different hand and background that original, but good copy of general position.
    2. Hand is from a 45-55 yr old male.
    3. Approximately 25 kg overweight.
    4. Has hypertension but under treatment.
    5. Moderate edema possibly due to congestive heart failure, kidney disease. (Cut out the salt ASAP).
    6. Old breaks to index (middle phalanx) and little finger improperly set creating inward curvature.
    7. Nails are cut too short and might create irritation of the hyponychinum and exposure of the distal sterile matrix. (End of finger tip will be sensitive and possibly sore.)

Now, about the 5 gram gold nugget.... :)

• Options

Thanks, Dr. Dang, I love salt.

Hard times on my hands, Rock climbing in my youth to early adulthood. Decades of computer photoshopping is really tough on the hands. Kayak fishing really did its job on my hands. Gardening and gold mining tough as well.

Hands do go numb from time to time but no pain really. Hard hand exercises seem to help.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2019 12:08PM

:)
    Numbness can be from pressure on the median nerve. Extensive computer use suggests that as a possible cause. A $6 wrist brace will usually help.

Now -- really --- lay off the salt. Your BP will decline and so will the edema. If finger tips get sore, wash thoroughly and disinfect with alcohol, then rub in a little petroleum jelly over night. Keep nails at about 2mm. to avoid irritation. (Products containing glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, and stearic acid in a water solution, might also be helpful for hand skin irritation (fishing, etc.) but avoid a bunch of additives that only make it look nice or enhance fragrance.)

Just some ideas - not medical advice.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...if I had to be stoned-to-death, Old-T style...I would hope for that baby to be the first stone cast; incoming...dead ringer...game over...instead, I get to glue myself to Italian leather and smoke my way through Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Finals. Freedom isn’t Free, but as long as I have it, I’m riding it till the wheels fall off baby! ;)

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 4:22PM

Here’s another photo of the same recent Australian 1.4KG (45 OzT) Gold Nugget Discovery

Web Link 👉 https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-22/large-gold-nugget-found-near-kalgoorlie-as-gold-price-soars/11135228

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options

Great necklace -- for Dolly Parton

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is just incredible! I can’t get eggplant to grow never mind finding gold!
    Love The Beach Boys reference too. Pet Sounds was ahead of its time.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 6:04PM

Love the medical advice. :)

Hands going numb = carpal tunnel syndrome 95% of the time. Surgery for this is not such a bad recovery and has a very high success rate. Splints are OK for temporary treatment. Untreated for long enough, permanent nerve damage can happen.

Oh, the big yellow rock is pretty cool too!

Imagine, a commercial gold mine needs to recover that every day just to pay expenses. Really good quality ore contains 10 grams of gold per ton of material.

• Options

RE: "Love the medical advice. :) "

Bug him to lay off the salt, too !

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

>
    With FDI unopened OMP

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

"Transparent zinc" cent....Based on Mr. Scott's "transparent aluminum" formula for housing whales.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Just for fun here are some of my thoughts about the hand in the photo. (His photo is, to me, more fun than the original.)

1. Different hand and background that original, but good copy of general position.
    5. Moderate edema possibly due to congestive heart failure, kidney disease. (Cut out the salt ASAP).
    6. Old breaks to index (middle phalanx) and little finger improperly set creating inward curvature.
    7. Nails are cut too short and might create irritation of the hyponychinum and exposure of the distal sterile matrix. (End of finger tip will be sensitive and possibly sore.)

But, the life line is long :)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL
    Quite the medical lessons going on - long-standing CTS may permanently the nerve and surgical yield poor when it has fibrosed

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice payday

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

How do you know it isn't just the sheer weight of that gold chunk causing all the blood to stop flowing in his hand? Then again, if it is a metal detecting enthusiast, you are probably spot on without even having to look at any pictures. ;)

• Options

Doubt that 5 gram "monster" would have much compressive effect... :)

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Love the medical advice. :)

Hands going numb = carpal tunnel syndrome 95% of the time. Surgery for this is not such a bad recovery and has a very high success rate. Splints are OK for temporary treatment. Untreated for long enough, permanent nerve damage can happen.

Reynaud's Disease is no fun either

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Reynaud's sucks. Treatable.....ish, but no cure.

@RogerB , I can't, in good conscience, recommend to anyone that they lay off the salt when I just polished off my third slice of Domino's pizza. ;)

• Options

3rd slice? It's only 5:15 EDT.
    ;)

Let's see .... electrolyte panel, glucose -- oh, and the new "pepperoni panel"...too.

• Options

off to the California recreational dispensary for the skunky natural hypertension medicine

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@RogerB said:

But, the life line is long :)

Close but female 😀

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

A group of friends and I just booked seats on a plane, destination Australia! Gold exploration sure beats lottery odds!!!

• Options

Since we’re in Australia.

——-

“'It could change everything': coin found off northern Australia may be from pre-1400 Africa”

“Experts believe they may have found a Kilwa coin that could change what we know about the history of global trade”

“Hermes is part of the Past Masters, a group of historians, archaeologists, anthropologists, numismatists (coin experts), geochronologists and other experts who investigate historical anomalies. In the past six years they have mounted seven expeditions off the coast of northern Australia, finding previously undiscovered rock art, shipwrecks, stone tools, human remains and the Holy Grail, the Kilwa coin.”

From left: A Kilwa coin bought online and a suspected Kilwa coin, from Africa pre-1400AD, found on the Wessel Islands in the Northern Territory.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/12/it-could-change-everything-coin-found-off-northern-australia-may-be-from-pre-1400-africa

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

na i would have to pass. i think i see a scratch and a rim ding

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file