Home U.S. Coin Forum

2014-P Roosevelt Clad Dime Clash 1981-p clip

KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 20, 2019 8:33PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Too bad it is so ugly :D If only the Observer matched the reverse. At first I noticed the planchet issue.

Best place to buy !
Bronze Associate member

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see the clash.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks kind of like old glue/sticky stuff?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see it

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Looks kind of like old glue/sticky stuff?

That what I thought too.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited May 20, 2019 8:43PM

mystery solved I believe the milky look is antibacterial hand soap residue. We will see.

Here is a 1981-p Nickel with small clip. First circulated change find for me.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@Kkathyl

Edge pic of the nickel please.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes... an edge picture would help... looking at the pictures so far, it could be PMD.... Cheers, RickO

Proper term maybe die clip will try to take edge line shot 😀

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a legit planchet clip. Look at the metal flow at the bottom of the '81'.

Ok these are better but you have me wondering.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

looks like PMD.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

A major clash here for reference only.

edited May 22, 2019 2:38AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    looks like PMD.

Would you mind explaining how post mint. How was the removal of metal able to occur coming from inside the circumference of coin angling out without disturbing the metal flow or and surface of the coin ? My Mom took it out of circulation shortly after it was produced so it’s not current find. Just me going through a shoe box of her saves. She also had Rosie’s with tag sale tape on heads. Lol

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

What’s that on the edge? Looks like it’s was not upset correctly.

Was the upsetting disturbed due to an imperfectly circular blank?

Was the imperfect blank made by being punched incorrectly?

Did the incorrect punch put a clip on the blank?

@Kkathyl said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    looks like PMD.

Would you mind explaining how post mint. How was the removal of metal able to occur coming from inside the circumference of coin angling out without disturbing the metal flow or and surface of the coin ? My Mom took it out of circulation shortly after it was produced so it’s not current find. Just me going through a shoe box of her saves. She also had Rosie’s with tag sale tape on heads. Lol![]

I could counter with a similar question: how would a clipped planchet result in a completely round coin?

With regard to your question, you can easily remove metal by grinding or polishing, for example. I'm also not sure that the "surface" is unaffected. There appear to be marks right where the metal is missing even if nowhere else.

Also, there appear to be grooves at both ends of the notch. And clips, even small ones, tend to be very smoothly symmetrical because the clips are usually round. Your notch appears to be asymmetric.

A clipped planchet usually results in at least a small flat spot on the edge of the coin. Yours looks completely round. Even if it was so infinitesimally small that it stayed approximately round when the rims were formed, there should be a rim missing on both sides of the coin. The reverse looks more flattened than missing.

I'm not saying this was done, but you could easily replicate that exact look by pressing down on a nickel with a Dremel or other grinding tool resulting in removal of the top surface and (due to mechanical pressure) on the bottom surface. It could also have been stuck in the flywheel of a coin counter on or another similar two-surface device and then scraped on the one side when removed.

I would defer to Fred or one of the error guys if they think it really is a tiny clip. But it looks like minor damage to me from some kind of mechanical pressure.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mornin' all -

The small clipped nickel is genuine -

The dime has enviornmental damage on its surfaces.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like GE's and FW's final verdict, but I also like JML's skepticism and questioning. It is important to test all theories to come to a correct diagnosis with errors.

Nice find by the easy - I found a nickel with a rim clip a few months ago. I have been through many thousands of nickels and I have found that one and a larger but still small clip. They are not easy to fund in the wild.

As for the dime, that is one of those cases where I am glad it was nothing since it is so nasty looking. :p

@JBK said:
    I like GE's and FW's final verdict, but I also like JML's skepticism and questioning. It is important to test all theories to come to a correct diagnosis with errors.

Nice find by the easy - I found a nickel with a rim clip a few months ago. I have been through many thousands of nickels and I have found that one and a larger but still small clip. They are not easy to fund in the wild.

As for the dime, that is one of those cases where I am glad it was nothing since it is so nasty looking. :p

I defer to Fred, but that must be a record for smallest clip ever. LOL.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 10:15AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

I defer to Fred, but that must be a record for smallest clip ever. LOL.

NUTS! They come much smaller. In fact, some are so small that they are not mentioned on the label!! It's up to the finalizer to make the call.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's Clips, Rim Clips, and Disc Clips

The Nickel clip is just a tad larger than
    what I would call a rim clip.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

@FredWeinberg said:
    There's Clips, Rim Clips, and Disc Clips

The Nickel clip is just a tad larger than
    what I would call a rim clip.

Thank you. We are learning it takes time 😀

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights