Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Looks like Bryce Harper is the new Dave Kingman

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 2:19PM

Dave Kingman was consistent throughout his career. He was having 30+ home run seasons at the beginning of his career, and at the end of his career. If he had not hung it up, and had played a few more seasons, he would be in the 500 HR club. He was consistent. It is also a disgrace that Fred McGriff has fallen off the ballot. I don't know what has happened to the Hall of Fame. They let Jeff Bagwell in, but not Dave Kingman and Fred McGriff.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon Sorry. Not enough tools in the toolbox. A player that is good at only one aspect of the game shouldn't be in the hall despite others that may have gotten in by some mistake.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

In my opinion, players that consistently hit home runs throughout their entire career as much as Kingman did, deserve a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Can someone please say something really salacious so we can have this thread closed? @lawnmowerman @EagleEyeKid ???

Kris

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Dave Kingman was consistent throughout his career. He was having 30+ home run seasons at the beginning of his career, and at the end of his career. If he had not hung it up, and had played a few more seasons, he would be in the 500 HR club. He was consistent. It is also a disgrace that Fred McGriff has fallen off the ballot. I don't know what has happened to the Hall of Fame. They let Jeff Bagwell in, but not Dave Kingman and Fred McGriff.

Key word “IF.” Couldn’t we say that about almost any player? “If he had played longer he would have accumulated more stats.” Sorry, we disagree on 2 out of 3. IMO, Kingman is definitely not a HOFer and Bagwell definitely is. I do wish McGriff received more respect from voters though.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

edited May 21, 2019 3:52PM

I will just say, I think Dave Kingman should be in the Hall of Fame based on consistently putting up big home run numbers year after year after year. He got better as time went on, and he was a one of the most feared hitters all throughout his era of playing. He gained fame with his ability to crush the ball. When he went to bat, fans who had to pee, held it in to watch him hit. This thread should now self destruct.😉

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andy

• burghmanburghman Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 6:58PM

I’ll give it a shot. Trump. Second amendment. Global warming. Pokémon. 73. Hull’s skate. Vader is Luke’s father. Grassy knoll. Their/there/they’re. Neutral zone trap. Sacrifice bunts. Insert your favorite Crash Davis rant or Billy Joel Fire Starter example here.

Jim

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    1.Seven seasons of 30+ homer runs.
    2.Six seasons of 20+ home runs.
    1210 driven in.

That's consistency. Yeah, his batting average was only .236, but Dave Kingman was one of the most feared hitters during his era, and he was a threat EVERY TIME, he stepped up to the plate. Everybody knew who Dave Kingman was, and what he might do when he stepped into the batters box.

This is true.

He is NOT a HOFer, never will be, and doesn't "deserve" to be.

He was a really good slugger though.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭

I bet we could name 100 players far more deserving than Kingman. In my opinion he has zero % chance.
    Add Boog Powell to the above list,

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

If Dave Kingman should be in the hall of fame then Darrell Evans should have his own wing there.

Dave Kingman for president.

• Anyone growing up watching baseball in the 70s-early 80s knows Dave Kingman wasn’t a hall of fame player. You can look at his paper stats now and argue about it, but outside of his power, he sucked. Period

• VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

The next level just said it perfectly! Some people just don’t know what they don’t know. There is probably 500 player that would go in before kingman! He is in no way a HOFer! Period. This thread is starting to have some good comedy though

• @VintagemanEd said:
    The next level just said it perfectly! Some people just don’t know what they don’t know. There is probably 500 player that would go in before kingman! He is in no way a HOFer! Period. This thread is starting to have some good comedy though

Now if playing for 4 teams in a season counts, Kingman is a shoe-in.

• waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Ron Kittle, George Foster, Greg Luzinski, Chris Chambliss, and Buddy Bell for HOF.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:
    Ron Kittle, George Foster, Greg Luzinski, Chris Chambliss, and Buddy Bell for HOF.

Jack Clark is angry that you left him off that list.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

And now Don Baylor is mad at me.

@nam812 said:
    And now Don Baylor is mad at me.

Was the all time leader in “hit by pitch” for a long time.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

Move over Mr. Trump....

@doubledragon said:
    Move over Mr. Trump....

Getting closer to closing the thread......

Kris

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure Dave Kingman has enough "career war" to be a candidate for president. Besides, if this player, who was much better than Kingman, can't get in, then no way should Kingman even be considered.

edited May 23, 2019 8:23AM

The greatest that ever did it.....

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:

Bell actually has a decent case.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markj111 said:

@waxman2745 said:

Bell actually has a decent case.

I agree. Not good enough, IMO, and not even best at his position who's not in yet, but far better than the recent Veteran's Committee picks.

edited May 23, 2019 2:45PM

What about Mark "Huge Mac" McGwire? Should he be let in someday? Everybody knows Jeff Bagwell used steroids, and he got in.

@doubledragon said:
    What about Mark "Huge Mac" McGwire? Should he be let in someday? Everybody knows Jeff Bagwell used steroids, and he got in.

“Everybody” does not “know” that, actually.

Yaz Master Set

edited May 23, 2019 3:19PM

Bagwell admitted to his use of androstenedione , an anabolic steroid, early in his career.

@doubledragon said:
    Bagwell admitted to using androstenedione, an anabolic steroid early in his career.

Andro is not an anabolic steroid, although it shares some basic similarities in that it increases testosterone and makes you stronger. It also wasn’t illegal in baseball in 1998 when he took it. McGwire isn’t kept out of the Hall because he took Andro. He’s out because of all the other banned substances he admits taking.

So again, I don’t “know” that Bagwell took “steroids,” neither do you, and we’re part of “everybody.”

Yaz Master Set

Go to rxlist.com. Read what it says about andro. It has been classified as an anabolic steroid. It is also a schedule III controlled substance. It was classified as an anabolic steroid in January 2005.

@doubledragon said:
    Go to rxlist.com. Read what it says about andro. It has been classified as an anabolic steroid. It is also a schedule III controlled substance. It was classified as an anabolic steroid in January 2005.

My apologies. WebMD confirms too. When I’m wrong, I’ll admit it.

Yaz Master Set

Just look what steroids can do to you..... This is Mark McGwire in 1998......

This is Mark McGwire today......

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @lawnmowerman ~ he should have .... he might have gotten into the HOF.

Totally agree! Everyone would have been none the wiser.

@doubledragon said:

Good player. No Jeff Bagwell. It wouldn't be a disaster to put him in, but Buddy Bell is more deserving.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @doubledragon ...... here is a pic of Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez at a recent movie premier in Cartagena.......

Grandma??

@MLBdays said:
    @daltex .... Buddy Bell was a solid player, good character guy and probably a church goer but his numbers are not HOF material. ....IMO.

Oh, mine either. IMO he's roughly comparable to Sal Bando or Ken Boyer. Just saying there are a lot worse players in the HoF, and if McGwire went in, he'd be one of them.

I think players throughout history have taken substances to help them get ahead. Most of them, likely, but probably not all. I don't throw a fit about Mike Piazza being in the HoF. Gaylord Perry might be a different story.

@DBesse27 said:

@doubledragon said:

My apologies. WebMD confirms too. When I’m wrong, I’ll admit it.

No apology necessary. Here at the boards, we're all family.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 5:11PM

can’t wait to see Mike Trout comparison after he hits .250 lol

Buddy Bell is on Bill James’ list of the 25 best position players not in HOF (excluding gamblers and roiders),

@markj111 said:
    Buddy Bell is on Bill James’ list of the 25 best position players not in HOF (excluding gamblers and roiders),

When was this list written? That is, were there any people on it who have since been enshrined?

@daltex said:

@markj111 said:

When was this list written? That is, were there any people on it who have since been enshrined?

It was in the 2019 Bill James Handbook. From memory, Bill Dahlen, Lou Whitaker, and Ted Simmons were the top three. Bell was about 20th. Others on the list were Grich, Will Clark, Olerud, Willie Davis,McGriff, Darrell Evans, Dick Allen, Reggie Smith, Dwight Evans, Willie Randolph, and Reggie Smith. Edgar Martinez was on it, and was elected. He was 11th on the list (I think).

edited May 25, 2019 5:49PM

Another sad example of what steroids can do to a player.....

Barry Bonds in 2007.....

Barry Bonds today.......