Home Precious Metals
Options

Another Sweet Find! Antique Mall Gold

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this yesterday in a small antique mall in northern Georgia.
$16 plus tax.
5.1 grams. >:)

I think it’s brand new. It has that look. Likely a Christmas present someone didn’t like and it somehow ended up in this antique mall. Funny thing is the price tag said it was 18K! :D

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Crap! :*

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great eye!

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Asheland Congrats on the Excellent 18K Gold Bracelet Cherry-Pick!! 😁👍

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... great find....Not often we get a bargain on gold....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've read that there are a lot of gold chains marked 14K and 18K that are gold plated brass so be careful buying this material from a venue other than a reputable jeweler.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    I've read that there are a lot of gold chains marked 14K and 18K that are gold plated brass so be careful buying this material from a venue other than a reputable jeweler.

I agree and I was suspicious at first but after really scrutinizing it, I am certain it's good, in fact, on the other side, it has the full, proper Italian hallmarks:
    plus the look and feel is totally correct

• Options
  • Options

@Downtown1974 said:
    You’ve done it again @asheland ! Nice find!!!

Thank you! :)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice find & haul

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Killing it!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth about 10x what you paid. Dang!

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 7:09PM

Well you can always melt it into a nugget I have a platter so if unsure put it in plate solution if real it will attract more gold if plated it will remove the plate and leave in the bath you can return the solution into sold.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

North Ga huh? Where were you? Nice score! I'm saying that only because @smudge put an exclamation point after the truly southern reply of...."Dang". I actually know nothing about gold! :D

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:
    North Ga huh? Where were you? Nice score! I'm saying that only because @smudge put an exclamation point after the truly southern reply of...."Dang". I actually know nothing about gold! :D

Used dang as profanity is frowned upon round heah

• Options

@Hallco said:

No problem on this... :) Dillard, GA. There are a bunch of antique shops all clustered up there, check it on google maps and you'll see... It was one of the downstairs locations, on the side street... (441 & Franklin st)

• Options

If anyone is in that area, I recommend checking them out. I only get down there every couple of months or so...

• Options

@asheland said:

@Hallco said:

No problem on this... :) Dillard, GA. There are a bunch of antique shops all clustered up there, check it on google maps and you'll see... It was one of the downstairs locations, on the side street... (441 & Franklin st)

Very familiar with the area! Any coin finds? Last time I was there I wasn't collecting actively and wasn't paying attention to anything numismatic related.

• Options

@Hallco said:

@asheland said:

@Hallco said:

Very familiar with the area! Any coin finds? Last time I was there I wasn't collecting actively and wasn't paying attention to anything numismatic related.

There, not really. There's a shop on the main road (441) that has a case of coins, but the prices and what they offer are quite the joke. I mainly search for the antique silver but like this past Saturday showed, it's worth your time to look in the jewelry cases!

• Options

@Hallco also, if you go north on 441, literally a mile up and you're in North Carolina. There a few hit and miss shops along the way, then you get to Franklin, NC. There's a little bit there to check, but nothing exciting. A few years ago it was a lot better but lately it's dried up.

I'm only about an hour from that area. Asheville, NC is where it's mostly at. There's a decent group of antique and coin shops in the area.. That's where I'd recommend you to try...

• Options

The first Buffalo Nickel I ever bought was at a shop in Franklin. Little did I know at the time it would start the interest in building the only "set" I would ever try to complete! I think I mentioned that my wife and I were in Asheville last year. That day we were pinballing, eating chocolate and listening to street musicians though....not really shopping. :D

• Options

@Hallco That's awesome! If you're ever in the Asheville area again, PM me. I work in the coin industry near Asheville. I don't mention on the boards for privacy reasons, but any member on here I'd love to meet if they are in the area...