Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I think I may have the worst key date!

I found this at a show and thought oh cool a railroad wheetie and when I got home and looked at it my heart skipped a beat, it looks like a 1914D... please tell me I am wrong

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 10:58AM

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    I found this at a show and thought oh cool a railroad wheetie and when I got home and looked at it my heart skipped a beat, it looks like a 1914D... please tell me I am wrong

Cropped and some filtering.

Edit to add:

Comparison from Coin Facts:

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks like it.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

If it is a 1914-D its a shame. It cant be slabbed, wont fit in an album and if I were to guess I think the value would be around $20-$50

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 11:00AM

Doesn't the D look too far to the left? I haven't seen any 1914-D's where the D is located directly under the 9.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it to me as well.

Would be great to get a TrueView and into CoinFacts ;)

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is the worst key date in existance. If you like, we could start a little fund for you on the PCGS boards to raise a few bucks for you to buy a nice AG3 that has been harshly cleaned with a wire brush so that you could get a really nice upgrade to this coin. :D;)

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:
    Yes, it is the worst key date in existance. If you like, we could start a little fund for you on the PCGS boards to raise a few bucks for you to buy a nice AG3 that has been harshly cleaned with a wire brush so that you could get a really nice upgrade to this coin. :D;)

Atleast that one would fit in a album.

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

I had what I called my fuse box S VDB. It was a VF obverse with a electric arc 1/8 pit in the center on the reverse. Sold it long ago.

The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

@Mdcoincollector2003 I am working on my (140 coin) 1909-1958 Lincoln cent set registry and break into a cold sweat every time I look at the prices of the 1914-D’s.
    😥

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 11:43AM

I think it's fake. Someone put a little D on a 1914 then set it on the tracks to smash it into the coin.
    Edited to add I'm joking 🙃

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the train wheel pushed enough metal to move that D over a bit. Ouch! Nice find. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one - somewhere - that had been set on top of a car battery (people used to do that to keep the terminals from corroding as fast)....Can barely make it out.... not worth anything in that condition. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just save for the time when someone says ANY 14-D is worth at least $100. Hopefully next time Abe takes a plane

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Looks like the train wheel pushed enough metal to move that D over a bit. Ouch! Nice find. Peace Roy

Yeah, nice trick for a 100 ton train to push the D over a bit but not touch the date.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many obverse dies were used for this date and mintmark? The mintmarks were punched into the die by hand and the position slightly varies on each die.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    How many obverse dies were used for this date and mintmark? The mintmarks were punched into the die by hand and the position slightly varies on each die.

Weren't there 4 different mm locations for the 1909-S VDB and 6 for the 1909-S? The 1914-D falls somewhere in between going by mintage numbers.

As soon as I see another 1914-D with the mint mark that far to the left I'll believe it's authentic. There are none in CoinFacts and so far I've seen none on eBay, yet you can find all the possible 1909-S and 1909-S VDB varieties in both places.

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this at a show

I'll say its most likely a 14-D. What did the dealer at the show call this thing? Seems like a 10 cent junk box item if the date was not in play.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@REALGATOR said:

I found this at a show

I'll say its most likely a 14-D. What did the dealer at the show call this thing? Seems like a 10 cent junk box item if the date was not in play.

I just found it in one of the 20¢ foreign coin bin and thought it was a regular railroad wheat cent. I didn’t know the date until I got home. I also got a flattened 1896 Indian!

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

For the D to be that low and left, wouldn’t it be overlapping Abe’s lapel by quite a bit?

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Seven obverse dies.

I never saw one that far left.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file