Home U.S. Coin Forum

Great old TV, the rare 1877 nickel on Amos and Andy.

lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Corny but then so was the Roy Rogers show. lol

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Radio was THE entertainment and news source to a couple generations. Family's would gather around and listen while imagining the visuals in their heads. It's invention and implementation was the equivalent to the internet today. The whole nation could be reached almost immediately. Amazing.

There are lots of web sites offering streaming audio of all the radio shows of yesterday. All kinds of types from comedy to drama to quiz shows and opinion. If you haven't listened to any of them I encourage you to give them a try. You could find several that would make your commute much more enjoyable.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Radio was THE home entertainment of the past.... I can remember my folks listening to shows such as Sky King, Straight Arrow, Sam Spade and The Shadow..... there were others, but those were popular....This was just before the advent of television. Cheers, RickO

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

This comedy show would be deemed racist today and wouldn't be allowed to be shown on TV today.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Radio had such a big impact. Remember how "War Of The Worlds" affected people? Even later productions with out Orson Wells. Productions around the world some times caused dire consequences.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    Radio had such a big impact. Remember how "War Of The Worlds" affected people? Even later productions with out Orson Wells. Productions around the world some times caused dire consequences.

Awesome broadcast!

Those who have not heard it before, should.

Orson Welles - War Of The Worlds - Radio Broadcast 1938 - Complete Broadcast
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0K4ApWl4g

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, but no way to treat a proof coin.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LCoopie To quote the famous “Kingfish” George Stevens of Amos & Andy fame , when referring to Sapphire’s Mother’s looks,

“If all the womens in Texas is as ugly as Sapphire's mother, then the Lone Ranger's gonna be alone for a long, long time.”

@291fifth said:
    I'm still waiting for my reward for earning all my badges. How long am I going to have to wait? ;)

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file