Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1919–S WLH, is it cleaned? It’s in a graded holder, comments?

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

Comments

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lower quality XF/AU imo. Next time the coin probably wouldn't get "lucky".

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's so hard to judge a coin from your pictures.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    It's so hard to judge a coin from your pictures.

How’s this?

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I view it with suspicion.....

But keep in mind that if you carried a Walker in your pocket with other change, tossed it into a cash register, gave it to someone who put it in her change purse...(etc.)….you might get the same type of hairlines and marks.

Cleaning, generally, implies intent. For hairlines in the field, that intent is usually implied by parallel lines, or otherwise "un-natural" patterns.

This one....is open to question, and I don't think I'd be inclined to hit the "buy it now" button, for sure. But without looking at it in hand, and turning it under a light, I don't think I'm ready to pass judgment based only on the photos alone.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

@TommyType said:

But keep in mind that if you carried a Walker in your pocket with other change, tossed it into a cash register, gave it to someone who put it in her change purse...(etc.)….you might get the same type of hairlines and marks.

Cleaning, generally, implies intent. For hairlines in the field, that intent is usually implied by parallel lines, or otherwise "un-natural" patterns.

This one....is open to question, and I don't think I'd be inclined to hit the "buy it now" button, for sure. But without looking at it in hand, and turning it under a light, I don't think I'm ready to pass judgment based only on the photos alone.

How can a coin acquire parallel lines underneath IGWT via normal circulation, rubbing against other coins, etc?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing asked Is it cleaned?

Is this a trick question or a quiz with no prize? Either:

A. Coin is hairlined and straight graded.
    B. Coin is hairlined and "detailed" graded.
    C. Coin is hairlined and you personally believe it is cleaned.
    D. Coin is hairlined, detailed graded, and you believe it should be straight graded?

What do you think?

At one time I believed that any coin with a bunch of hairlines in the same direction was cleaned. Over the years, I have learned that is not always the case. :)

• Options

@KollectorKing said:

@TommyType said:

How can a coin acquire parallel lines underneath IGWT via normal circulation, rubbing against other coins, etc?

They seem to be more random, than parallel.

Again...I'm passing on the coin since it's suspicious, (and not very attractive). But I can't say for sure it is "cleaned".

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have to see it in hand. If the lines are raised, then they're die polish lines. If not, the coin was wiped down. I tend to think the latter. Looks to be in the AU 50 range.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    @KollectorKing asked Is it cleaned?

Is this a trick question or a quiz with no prize? Either:

A. Coin is hairlined and straight graded.
    B. Coin is hairlined and "detailed" graded.
    C. Coin is hairlined and you personally believe it is cleaned.
    D. Coin is hairlined, detailed graded, and you believe it should be straight graded?

What do you think?

At one time I believed that any coin with a bunch of hairlines in the same direction was cleaned. Over the years, I have learned that is not always the case. :)

Door A, & you might recognize it :o

& why are the hair lines mostly one sided, on the obv?

• Options

@KollectorKing asked: "How can a coin acquire parallel lines underneath IGWT via normal circulation, rubbing against other coins, etc?"

Normally, when parallel lines go under letters the lines resulted from die polishing and they are raised on the coin. There are many cases where parallel lines (scratches or hairlines from cleaning) can appear to go under letters.

The bright lines in your image do not look raised.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2019 2:43PM

rub-a-dub-dub
    this walker was scrubbed.
    rub-a-dub-do
    it was cleaned too.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

""1919–S WLH, is it cleaned? It’s in a graded holder, comments?""

No it is not cleaned.
    It is straight graded AU55 with no mention of cleaning. 🤔

Looks like obv die polishing from the crappy pics. Maybe a bad dip in the past as well.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

There is a lot of room between, "That is pristine, and untouched", and "That this looks like ajax was used".

This coin is somewhere in the middle. But where does the "cleaned" line reside? (Somewhere close to where this coin is? ;) )

But, just like grading, as a collector you have the power to say, "That's not a 65 to ME!", or "That looks cleaned to ME!"

I say, for this coin, "Borderline"....and...."Not the right coin for me".

Not sure the pictures alone are enough to say, with absolute certainty, that it has been 100% cleaned.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy it and let us know

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    Buy it and let us know

Tuition is too high :D

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at it on eBay. If someone is in the market for this coin, they should ask the seller to take some better pictures. This would possibly solve the case.

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

It looks to me that it is cleaned also. My clue is the hair lines to the direct left of “In God We Trust” stop well before the dress and do carry onto the dress. If it was careless die polishing the lines would go right up to the dress.

But of course I am still training.

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options

Please post a link. Cannot find it on Ebay. Need to see the reverse with coin #.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Please post a link. Cannot find it on Ebay. Need to see the reverse with coin #.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

die polish and harsh cleaning look similar in pics - if I had the coin in hand I would look closely at the letter D of GOD and the sun ray above the letter L.. There are lines coming into the top of them, what they do there will give you your answer.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin requires in hand analysis.... It does give the appearance of cleaning lines...but they also have visual characteristics of die polish in some areas.... just not 100% sure... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a relatively significant coin - tough date in a tough grade in a popular series....
    My suspicion is that it genny'd, or the owner knew it would genny at PCGS.
    But he is now quite happy with the straight grade it received in that holder.

Of course I could be totally wrong, and it's a great coin that we just can't really appreciate from the images,
    the owner submitted a bunch of coins here due to cost and convenience, and it will cross and CAC w/ no problem.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usual seller lists all the positives and none of the negatives, heck I have a sales job and there are things you can't say if you want to make a sale.

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I think IGC is solid on their authentication; on the grade maybe not so much. From the pictures and other circumstances this would not cross at AU in my opinion. I think it would have crossed already if it had a chance.

This coin appears to be harshly cleaned, maybe even wizzed, JMHO.

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would have to examine sight seen.

Suggest you pass on it.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file