Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Why are the 1955 Topps All-American Football cards considered RC's?

This set was unlicensed, featured college careers - not professional - and it came out decades after most of the players had even played. Can anyone explain to me why the hobby gives this set a pass and other similar sets do not qualify as RC's? In particular, the 1985 Football Immortals set includes many HOFers that never had a RC, yet these cards do not qualify. Would love to hear an explanation as to how this gels. Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be that there was so little football material produced during that time period that it almost came of necessity. And it is a nationally-distributed Topps set, which probably helped the cause.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Thanks Todd for the input. I always assumed that and the fact that there are so many HOFers in it helps, too. I just don't understand why the same logic doesn't apply to the Football Immortals cards when it comes to players with no official RC prior. Sure it's 30 years after the All-American set, but it still was nationally released as I understand and covered the remaining HOFers that had no cards up until that point.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I don't really know. Maybe it just seemed like too much of a stretch to have a modern era RC of a guy who played maybe 50-60 years before, and had already died by the time the cards were issued. Again, it's just a guess...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.