Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Following up on the "Collecting Rocks Thread"

northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was instructive to learn how many here are also into collecting rocks. Prompted by the thread I took the time to put together a little exhibit featuring some of my petrified dinosaur egg "rocks" along with a movie prop egg from the third Jurassic Park film and some related items.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice display...Are those specimens you found? Or purchased? Would be great to find one of those in the wild...As a kid, we would often go fossil collecting...A lot of those in this area... never found any dinosaur eggs though... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019 5:16AM

Cool display. The egg kind of reminds me of an 80’s movie.

Water plus egg and you get.

Don’t remember movie name, but a it reminds of the Furby toy craze way back when.

• Options
    MrTeaMrTea Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Is collecting masonry close enough? This is a piece of the Pont Neuf in Paris, from when they were re-casing it in the 1990’s.
    ![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/2m/
    This one is an Antoni Gaudi Street paver from Barcelona, salvaged from utility work in 2007
    ![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/z0/
    This one is unknown, salvaged from a deep woods scrap pile near my home town

• Options

• Options

Just learning the system. It wouldn’t show my first two pictures, so here they are in reverse order from my post. Sorry about that

• Options

@MrTea said:
    Just learning the system. It wouldn’t show my first two pictures, so here they are in reverse order from my post. Sorry about that

Sometime you have to precede the pics with something. Smiley face sometimes work, or after posting, go back and edit the post and insert the pics.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019 10:14PM

Thanks all.

To respond to ricko, the items were acquired after they had been located by others. When I went to China last fall I considered visiting the site where the dinosaur eggs were found but instead went to Western China where the Silk Road originated.

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

Don’t remember movie name, but a it reminds of the Furby toy craze way back when.

Gremlins !

• Options

@MrTea.... Welcome aboard....
    @northcoin....Thanks for the reply... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@dagingerbeasttt said:

@Hemispherical said:

Gremlins !

That’s it!

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

Actually, the ones pictured is "Critters" movie franchise. B movie stuff but funny as heck.

• Options

@bronzemat said:

@Hemispherical said:

Actually, the ones pictured is "Critters" movie franchise. B movie stuff but funny as heck.

Critters? Gremlins? Furbies?

Then there’s the cartoon with the monsters... that’s it Monsters! Job was to scare. Whew glad the world is insanely sane. ;)

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    I see one is a coprolite. Is there an Early Amercian Coprolite club? Or is that a crappy idea? :p

Wally Breen is a founding member.

Wonderful Gaudi paver !

• Options

I’m proud that I and the Metropolitan Museum of Art each have one of these. The downside to masonry collection is getting the damn things home, including fitting it in your suitcase and explaining to customs inspectors. The paver is 3 inches thick, about 11 inches across, and weighs about 20 lbs. Then there’s the lava rocks from Mt. Eatna.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrTea said:
    I’m proud that I and the Metropolitan Museum of Art each have one of these. The downside to masonry collection is getting the damn things home, including fitting it in your suitcase and explaining to customs inspectors. The paver is 3 inches thick, about 11 inches across, and weighs about 20 lbs. Then there’s the lava rocks from Mt. Eatna.

I had never heard of this type of collecting. But it is quite interesting. Thanks for sharing!

• Options

The usual description is “abnormal”.

• Options

@MrTea ...."The usual description is “abnormal”.".....Yes, yes, I can see that.... :D:D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks all for the responsive posts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file