Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: 1808-Mo 8 Reales Top pop MS64 and fully PL

Another PL 8R to add to the collection :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRv0_SPvGo

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Decent coin. I had a bet going whether or not it would break 2k.

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Decent coin. I had a bet going whether or not it would break 2k.

As you know it didn't quite....but in hand I wonder how it didn't. I'll likely put it in an NGC PL holder....I wish PCGS gave 8Rs the PL designation.

• Options

I can only speculate, but 1808 is one of the most common dates in the portrait series. Most specialized collectors either already own one in high grade, or were turned away by either the lack of any toning or that planchet defect. I didn't see it in-hand do I can't comment on how accurate the grade is.

Personally I thought it was an above average strike for a Ferdinand VII armored bust. I was more focused on the lot after it, though, which was an 1808 bust variety of 1809. It's not a documented one, but there were obviously multiple king punches used in both 1808 and 1809 and that one was of a scarcer variety. Didn't end up getting it due to some chatter in the field in from of the kings face I couldn't get over.

• Options

By the way, I don't think anyone is actually working on a full PL set of these. Could be a very challenging and fun pursuit.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice one!

You have some cool videos on Youtube.

• Options

@asheland said:
    That's a nice one!

You have some cool videos on Youtube.

Thanks buddy!

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    By the way, I don't think anyone is actually working on a full PL set of these. Could be a very challenging and fun pursuit.

I agree....would be a lifetime pursuit, and I am sure there are a few dates that PL examples can't be found....but would be fun. Currently trying to find a nice semi-PL or PL Pillar Dollar from Mexico....that will be tough as most I have seen are no where near PL and most are very ugly and I am picky :smile:

• Options

@BrettPCGS I would prefer to leave this in a PCGS holder - any chance you all will consider PL designations on 8 Reales? This thing has 6 inch mirrors at least (and is clearly PL even from the TrueView). No worries if not, but figured couldn't hurt to ask - I would much rather leave top-pop coins in PCGS plastic :smile:

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Senator32 ....did you cross your coin ?

https://www.scoins.com/lot.aspx?a=19&l=146

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@bidask said:

I put it in an auction to see what it would go for...and got moon money :smile:

• Options

@bidask said:
    Senator32 ....did you cross your coin ?

No, I bought it in PCGS and got the PL on the holder once they started designating it.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good work, buyer is BURIED

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Well played, sir.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@Boosibri said:

The only previous designated PL coin to sell sold for over 8K a few years back - was an NGC 62PL 1779-Mo. It's an amazing coin I didn't expect to part with....but I'm sure the new owner will love it.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

Even with the designation - by at least $4k

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im going to try this for PL

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paging @Crazy8s. I believe I’ve seen a few PL 8 reales at your place during our chats. I don’t think people realize how many are out there that aren’t yet slabbed.

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

As you know, most of my collection is raw. I only submitted the Ferdinand VIIs to PCGS and a scattering of Carlos IIII to NGC to see how they grade and create a registry set I could share. Judging from the increased percentage of coins that were for sale slabbed at USMexNA this year I can see where more and more are being submitted. But most of my collector friends I correspond with see no reason to submit because there is no intention to sell.

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Senator32, that is a really nicely struck 08. Great pickup

• Options

Thanks! Was sad to let this specific one go...will have to buy a few more to make up for it :smile: . If you ever decide you need to sell any of your high end 8Rs...I would be one of the people in line buying :smile: