Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1687 Spanish Silver Cob Coin - Genuine?

InGodWeTrustCoinsInGodWeTrustCoins Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
edited May 8, 2019 6:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I listed this coin on eBay yesterday. It was quickly removed and I got a 'restriction' on my account. The reason was because one of their experts had determined this coin to be counterfeit. I don't know hardly anything about these, but it looks legit to me.

What do y'all think? Any information on the coin would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2019 7:17PM

@InGodWeTrustCoins said:
    I listed this coin on eBay yesterday. It was quickly removed and I got a 'restriction' on my account. The reason was because one of their experts had determined this coin to be counterfeit. I don't know hardly anything about these, but it looks legit to me.

What do y'all think? Any information on the coin would be appreciated.

Also post in the world and ancient forum.

Edit to add link: https://forums.collectors.com/categories/world-ancient-coins-forum

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2019 7:30PM

The edges of the holes in the 8s and 6 seem too sharp, relative to the other edges on the coin.
    This would suggest "tooled".
    Or maybe the dirt which fills them simply has a high contrast.

I don't have the expertise to identify counterfeits for this series.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2019 7:44PM

Looks like a cast copy of a Guatemalan countermarked 8 reales (KM96.2).

Countermarked Potosi example:

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's certainly not a US Coin.

It resembles an 8 reales from Potosi. These should weigh very close to 27 grams. Why not weight it to see if could possibly be 90% silver?

The circular depression in the first photo is supposed to be a countermark from a different time and country, however since it appears to have the same mushy appearance as the rest of the item, I would guess that this a cast copy.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

As jgenn noted, check out the detail in the countermark in the image I added.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2019 8:06PM

The coin is a very poorly made cast counterfeit.

I was going to ask you all to look at the coin and tell me why but if you don't know what a genuine cob looks like, you wouldn't know. Let's have some fun anyway. If you wish to play...blow the image up and describe some of the things you see. You don't need to know anything as this is a TEST of your "eye-for-detail." B)

For example, I see fine scratches and possible file marks. One member saw sharp holes in the numerals. What do you see?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am 99% sure that if you were to scroll through The Numismatist from the 1970’s you would find this piece in either Virgil Hancock’s “Featuring Fakes” column or the ANACS column.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I see “made in china”. >:)

• Options
    MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

It looks crudely made like an actual cob. Weren't the planchets made by cutting the ends of silver bars? Most of the modern replicas look so evidently fake.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walt_Altmen said:

No, this is 1960’s-1970’s era.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@Walt_Altmen said:

@MrMonkeySwag96 said:
    It looks crudely made like an actual cob. Weren't the planchets made by cutting the ends of silver bars? Most of the modern replicas look so evidently fake.

If you guys want to play, what do you see on the coin?

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    I am 99% sure that if you were to scroll through The Numismatist from the 1970’s you would find this piece in either Virgil Hancock’s “Featuring Fakes” column or the ANACS column.

I'll take that bet; but it does look like something from the 60's - 70's.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a poor cast as evident by metal porosity and a seam.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

I was going to ask you all to look at the coin and tell me why but if you don't know what a genuine cob looks like, you wouldn't know. Let's have some fun anyway. If you wish to play...blow the image up and describe some of the things you see. You don't need to know anything as this is a TEST of your "eye-for-detail." B)

For example, I see fine scratches and possible file marks. One member saw sharp holes in the numerals. What do you see?

There appears to be a seam on the edge as most cast coins have. Porosity can indicate casting bubbles, but so many of these are sea salvage I don't think that is indicative by itself. The countermark being as weak as the rest of the coin is also indicative as it is so far recessed it should wear less - see the real one above.

It almost looks like someone retooled the mold to bring out the detail which is why the holes in the 8's are so super-round and the edges of the boxes super square.

• Options

By the way, for those of you who (wrongly) insist that eBay doesn't care about fakes: please note the OP's immediate punishment.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll play, as others have already noted,

-lots of pits that would appear on cast copies
    -lots of opposing file marks, way to many to be "adjustment" marks
    -does look like a seam around the edge
    -numbers look hokey
    -I also see an unusually large number of almost perfectly round sharp edged large holes or pits that don't have the rounded and worn edges of the other features on the coin
    -and last but not least, does anyone else see Edvard Munch's "The Scream" peering out from the central left edge of the top image?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Insider2 said:

There appears to be a seam on the edge as most cast coins have. Porosity can indicate casting bubbles, but so many of these are sea salvage I don't think that is indicative by itself. The countermark being as weak as the rest of the coin is also indicative as it is so far recessed it should wear less - see the real one above.

It almost looks like someone retooled the mold to bring out the detail which is why the holes in the 8's are so super-round and the edges of the boxes super square.

You've pretty much nailed it. That line near the rim is very unusual. I'd like to see the edge. BTW, bubbles from a cast look nothing like sea water corrosion. Others can magnify the image and see the perfectly round tiny depressions caused by bubbles.

• Options

Well ,we don't know it was a one-time listing. And, for all we know, those people have all been "restricted".

• Options
    edited May 9, 2019 8:51AM

@jmlanzaf said:

Well ,we don't know it was a one-time listing. And, for all we know, those people have all been "restricted".

Seller is not restricted and still has many listings in coins & paper money. I have had dozens of this sellers listings removed only to have him relist them. He used to photo the counterfeits now he just hijacks photos of real coins. Go ahead and buy something from him and see if you get a genuine coin, then report to ebay and see if they do anything.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/timothycrsn1/m.html?_trksid=p3692

Please make sure to report back.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2019 11:56AM

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Seller is not restricted and still has many listings in coins & paper money. I have had dozens of this sellers listings removed only to have him relist them. He used to photo the counterfeits now he just hijacks photos of real coins. Go ahead and buy something from him and see if you get a genuine coin, then report to ebay and see if they do anything.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/timothycrsn1/m.html?_trksid=p3692

Please make sure to report back.

Restricted doesn't mean banned. Sometimes they limit the number of things you can list or something like that.

• Options
    InGodWeTrustCoinsInGodWeTrustCoins Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Thank you all for the great responses! I now know why eBay removed the listing however, I don't know why they put the 1 day restriction (we did get that removed) on our account. I have almost 5000 positive feedback, and we sell almost 400 coins a month.

I would just like to make it clear that the current discussion on this thread about an eBay seller selling counterfeits is NOT us, they are referring to a different seller.

• Options

"I would just like to make it clear that the current discussion on this thread about an eBay seller selling counterfeits is NOT us, they are referring to a different seller."

That is correct. You have outstanding feedback! I would buy from you. :)

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Looks legit to me" will do nothing but get you in trouble. This is the age of fakes. Authentication of this type of item is a must.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2019 2:59PM

Cast copy. For the reasons noted plus one more.

If I can explain my impression correctly....

Most cobs are not struck completely because the faces of the dies did not reach certain parts of the uneven planchet surface. However on your "coin", the missing/unstruck areas are above the struck areas. There should be no unstruck areas higher in relief than the struck areas - that is contrary to the conditions that lead to incomplete impressions.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Cast copy. For the reasons noted plus one more.

If I can explain my impression correctly....

Most cobs are not struck completely because the faces of the dies did not reach certain parts of the uneven planchet surface. However on your "coin", the missing/unstruck areas are above the struck areas. There should be no unstruck areas higher in relief than the struck areas - that is contrary to the conditions that lead to incomplete impressions.

?????
    I'm slightly confused by this. As a cast copy, it probably looks like the original excerpt for the items noted.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me try again.

The relief of the unstuck areas should not exceed the relief of the struck details. But on this thing some of them appear to be higher.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely a cast copy of a Bolivia 8 reales. The grainy, mushy look gives it away.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to hear your restriction was removed.... I am not an expert on these coins, but learned a lot from the answers here... Thanks @Insider2 for challenging us to find the details... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file