Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The issue with moderns (of all eras) - nobody likes the designs!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 8, 2019 10:33AM in U.S. Coin Forum

A lot of times, we hear that people dislike moderns for their designs.

I've heard this for:

• 20th century Presidents
  • 19th century Morgans
  • 18th century Flowing Hair

I just read that both the public and Mint officials were not happy with the Flowing Hair design.

The current popularity of Flowing Hair coinage was not shared by either the public or the Mint officials of the day.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/early-half-dimes/half-dimes/1795-h10c-v-4-lm-10-r3-ms65-pcgs-cac/a/1219-4965.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Some thoughts:

• What other coin designs were unpopular in their day? I'm especially interested to know if they were unpopular then, but popular now.
  • Alternately, what coin designs were popular right from the beginning?
  • Does this mean today's moderns will be looked upon fondly in the future?

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody is always gonna complain about something! :D>:)

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

The purpose isn't for art; IT'S FOR COMMERCE!

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

People tend to dislike all new designs but, perhaps, the one that got the least flap was the buffalo nickel.

Even if you don't like the design it still looks very American and very "nickel-like".

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

The designs we have are due for a big overhaul. All of them.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

The best struck Washie is worse than the worst struck Morgan IMO

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most (Not All) of the State Quarter Designs were/ are extremely popular.

Same for Sacagawea.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sell many modern Commems, many have beautiful designs.

It’s all a matter of individual taste.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2019 12:45PM

1793 Chain, Wreath and Liberty Cap Cents.
    The public didn't like the Chain or Wreath Cents and settled for the Liberty Cap.

Chain cents were struck during late February and early March 1793; records indicate that approximately 36,103 were produced. However, the public reaction to the coins was largely unfavorable. One newspaper criticized the appearance of the Liberty head, saying that it appeared to be "in a fright". By March, the Mint had run out of planchets, which temporarily halted striking. During this time, a new design – the Wreath cent – was quickly prepared and approved.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

Andy Barr in the House of Representatives wanted to do this. His bill for changing circulation coin designs to use Lady Liberty in 2013 didn't go anywhere but his new legislation honoring the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame is now a law.

Perhaps more people need to get involved?

He can be reached here: https://barr.house.gov/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who has spent any time on social media knows that no matter what is presented, there will be praise and condemnation.....It has actually reached the point where I tend to take social media in small doses and only a few selected sites. Sure, not everyone likes the same thing, but the vitriol and extremism just turns me off. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2019 4:44AM

@cladking said:
    People tend to dislike all new designs but, perhaps, the one that got the least flap was the buffalo nickel.

Even if you don't like the design it still looks very American and very "nickel-like".

Mr. and Mrs. Fraser designed the most "American" coins. The 1 oz Buffalo bullion coins shows that design looks great in gold as well as nickel. In fact, I think the Buffalo looks better as a gold coin.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I go back and read back issues of The Numismatist from over 100+ years ago, there are always editorials complaining about the new mint offerings. Based on that we've been on a downhill trend for over a century.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file