Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone collect rocks?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a sneaky way to post an OT picture.
Found this rock on a walk the other day. It needed painting.

:D

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s nice looking :)

I have a rare geocoin with an embedded meteorite fragment. I’d need to dig up some pics.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2019 11:55AM

Sort of... I have been eyeing a few sharks teeth.

Major Megledon fossil beds located near from Cooper River in Charleston and offshore wilmington.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife picks these up in Santee California where it is a thing ...

Google..... Santee Rocks

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto has some great geological specimens. Some are posted in the Random Picture thread. https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12315411/#Comment_12315411

@topstuf it’s pretty neat how some people have that imaginative ability in making something from a common item, in this case a rock. :)

——-

This is all that my imagination does (and a weak attempt at making this coin related). ;):D

This masterpiece is called: “An Inheritance Error What Is It Worth”

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one of my "rocks" !!! :)

image.gif 1014.6K
    Timbuk3
    edited May 5, 2019 3:05PM

@Timbuk3 said:
    Here's one of my "rocks" !!! :)

Those are very nice rocks!

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2019 3:21PM

Well this one is sculpted from a rock - though I only "collect" photos of such rocks:

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not here but do like marbles

Then there are these of and atop "The Rock" of Gibraltar:

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    Not here but do like marbles

I lost all my marbles years ago, all I have left are rocks in my head. Does that count as a collection? :p

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2019 3:39PM

I was gainfully employed on a farm as a "rock picker" for several summers in college. While we did "collect rocks", I did not retain any of them as a long-term investment....

I preferred de-tasseling corn. Another under appreciated summer job. :tongue:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:

Ahhhhh... now it's resaleable. :)

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like gold and silver nuggets and do collect them as I find them.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

I like the Apollo 11 moon... @koynekwest!

Is it a coin, token, or medal?

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a Cook Island commemorative (made to sell to buyers in the USA.) The pic above is of the "bright side" of the moon. Here's the other side-the "dark" side of the moon.

@koynekwest That’s cool!

At first the dates looked wrong on the reverse but realized it was for Luna III.

Thanks for the showing.

• MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

I got rocks on my teeth.......

edited May 6, 2019 12:02AM

@koynekwest said:
    A tiny moon rock-would this count? I also have a very small collection of semi-precious colorful stones.

Definitely! Do you actually have the pictured moon rock in your collection? What is the story behind its acquisition?

Here are photos I took of a lunar rock as it was displayed at an international exposition in 1970, the year after the first lunar landing and of a moon rock on display more recently in a local museum. The black and white photos were from 1970 taken at Expo '70.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collected rocks as a kid.... and coins.... Now marbles (guineas and cobras), coins and guns.... and playing cards, and old pocket flasks, and gold and books. :) Cheers, RickO

@amwldcoin There’s meds for that. :D

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect rocks, but the last time I was in Chicago, I found a building that collects them.

The Tribune Tower

Stone + Money = Yap

Image Courtesy of David McCarthy

Stone Money from Yap
    Jaime Hernandez - March 12, 2012

“Giant doughnut-shaped stone coins standing as high as 12 feet tall and weighing as much as five tons each are still being used as currency in some parts of the world. One of these places is the island of Yap. And one thing is for certain; Yapese people are not shy about showing off the amount of money they have.”

“Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, there is a group of Islands that belong to Micronesia, where the island of Yap is located. Covering an area of about 100 square kilometers, these islands are home to about 12,000 people. There are four main languages spoken here (including English). The people who inhabit these islands are separated into seven different tribes (or classes) and the color of their coverings usually indicates which tribe they belong to.”

https://www.pcgs.com/News/Stone-Money-From-Yap

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Ex Girlfriend gave me this rock in Chatsworth 42 years ago when we climbed it,
    it was a little to awkward to bring home so I just left it there in Chatsworth, we call it
    Stony Point :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2019 8:35AM

The whole family are Rockhounds. Below is a Rock that my oldest son calls junk.

I guess he knows what he is talking about because he turned a Hobby into a Full time occupation. Some of his work follows.

Ken

@northcoin said:

@koynekwest said:
    A tiny moon rock-would this count? I also have a very small collection of semi-precious colorful stones.

Definitely! Do you actually have the pictured moon rock in your collection? What is the story behind its acquisition?

Here are photos I took of a lunar rock as it was displayed at an international exposition in 1970, the year after the first lunar landing and of a moon rock on display more recently in a local museum. The black and white photos were from 1970 taken at Expo '70.

Yes-I have one. I bought it when it was issued since I thought it was such a neat item.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2019 11:15AM

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I didn't collect these but I did take a photo. :)

How could you resist picking them up?? Where are they located?

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 How could you resist picking them up?? Where are they located?

I already have rocks in my head and there isn't room for any more. :D

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I have a NSFW rock in my yard! :#

If it lasts for over 400 years you may want to see a doctor :D

Their is ALWAYS ROOM for more rocks as those.

I use lots of my rocks as bookends

• kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I don't collect rocks, but the last time I was in Chicago, I found a building that collects them.

The Tribune Tower

Ha, my grandfather might have been responsible for some of those rocks, particularly from the western US. He was head librarian at the Tribune for decades during that period. He had people all over the world sending him coins, he was fairly close with Colonel McCormick (close enough that McCormick paid for my uncle's surgery when he was a young child, probably 1940 or so), and I know my grandparents traveled extensively out west. I still have rocks and other artifacts gathered from those trips. Might be fun to know for sure, but one article says that the origins of "38%'" (57 rocks?) are unknown.

@metalmeister said:
    I used to gather river rocks on local hikes and throw them in my back sack for landscape rocks at our house. That sucker would weigh 40 lbs. when I weighed it! Here is one from farther inland.

There’s a cent in that rock.
    :D

I have a small collection of stones like this-

I have a precious/semi precious gem/mineral collection. I collect the rough and a cut stone to go with it. At a coin show last Saturday I bought some "clam pearls." If this thread is still going, I'll post them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file