Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Sedwick

AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone had any luck at the auction today?

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing for me. What about you?

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far, a Bolivian cob with a CAR/Guatemala counterstamp.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2019 7:03PM

Who is Warhols best girl edie ?

My mistake I thought we were playing jeopardy

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn’t like any of the silver.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1776 8r in 64 went for over $10k!

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still can't get past the abnormally poor die punching of the dentils on that example. Imagine what the final price would have been without that flaw.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jgenn said:
    I still can't get past the abnormally poor die punching of the dentils on that example. Imagine what the final price would have been without that flaw.

Yeah, I did not like the die work at all. It was shoddy even for a JR assayer coin. By the way, any idea why this assayer coins display die elements that are different from other years for this mint? Even for 1776-PR die elements are all using Regal punches. JR does not (look at the digits in the date, for example).

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2019 5:23PM

One thing that happened in 1776 was that Alto Perú was moved from the Viceroyalty of Perú to the newly created Viceroyalty of Río de la Plata. The change of assayers may be related and a replacement of old punches (and less than competent die sinkers) might have happened as well.