Home Precious Metals
Options

Numismatic value for graded gold Maple Leaf?

SaamSaam Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

Is there no numismatic value for a PCGS graded gold Maple Leaf coin? I have talked to several collectors in trying to check the value of a couple of 1986 $10 coins are worth but they don't seem to be worth more than spot. Is this a coin that shouldn't have been graded? Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

nope, when selling bullion expect to be offered nothing more than melt.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1986 coin...
    Proof or not?
    Maple leaf or not?
    Grade?
    Lots of details left unknown...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Pictures would help

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are bullion and worth spot or lower. I would not have had them graded. JMHO !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Saam said:
    Is there no numismatic value for a PCGS graded gold Maple Leaf coin? I have talked to several collectors in trying to check the value of a couple of 1986 $10 coins are worth but they don't seem to be worth more than spot. Is this a coin that shouldn't have been graded? Any thoughts appreciated!

Asking your question in a PM forum and you’ll get PM stacker answers.

There maybe a numismatic premium if it’s needed in a registry or to fill a maple leaf collector’s hole. The higher the grade the higher the premium; but you need to find these type of collectors.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2019 10:32PM

Graded bullion is authenticated bullion. Always worth more than spot and always worth more than it's ungraded counterpart. Added premium for 70's as there are collectors of graded bullion coins. Ebay prices paid confirm this.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

A large part of the market will only pay spot (or less) for bullion whether graded or ungraded.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Typically it's usually Pandas from that era that have some numismatic premium, Maples to my knowledge don't.

• Options

@asheland said:
    Typically it's usually Pandas from that era that have some numismatic premium, Maples to my knowledge don't.

Agree the Pandas seemingly have a higher numi premium than Maples. Each have their own following of some sort.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Graded bullion is authenticated bullion. Always worth more than spot and always worth more than it's ungraded counterpart. Added premium for 70's as there are collectors of graded bullion coins. Ebay prices paid confirm this.

This.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

RCM no longer publishes gml mintages which imo somewhat impacts what small if any numismatic value is to be found. There are some special issues to be found such as the '19 fortieth anniversary which I just recieved . it's fine looking but to me they're all bullion which I put in airtites along with an occasional buffalo.
    Just my preferences for gold bullion. To each their own.

• Options
    edited May 2, 2019 2:31PM

@cohodk said:
    A large part of the market will only pay spot (or less) for bullion whether graded or ungraded.

and there lies the difference between wholesale and retail (resellers vs. stackers/collectors).

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

No numi value on bullion slabbed stickered or whatever you do to it. An ounce of modern minted gold is still just an ounce of modern minted gold. MS70 or raw it's all the same, 99% would pay exactly the same for both.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2019 6:43PM

@Hemispherical said:

@Saam said:

Asking your question in a PM forum and you’ll get PM stacker answers.

There maybe a numismatic premium if it’s needed in a registry or to fill a maple leaf collector’s hole. The higher the grade the higher the premium; but you need to find these type of collectors.

Can you imagine someone actually collecting modern Canadian bullion coins ? The RCM is completely schizo they begin then end new series in an entirely random manner. They have insane denominations that might be only a single year. Weird fractional silver with high face value that they claim are redeemable then refuse to redeem . There were years with fractional gold coins with face values of like $375 , they may even be 2 examples in a year with the same size coin with different face value or different size coins with the same face value. :D

You would have to be brain dead to even attempt it. Its all bullion.

Did I mention privy marks? All of it is completely retarded. SNL used to do a dumb skit called "massive head wound Harry" The character just stumbled around bleeding and collapsed..... that guy Harry, he runs the mint up there

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said, Bronco!
    The Canadian mint holds a special PM place in my heart for spot and under spot.
    Much like the Australian Mint, except for the original lunar series in gold.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will stick with AGE's and ASE's.... They sell quickly if necessary....though I do pick up the occasional art round that appeals to me. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@KindaNewish said:
    nope, when selling bullion expect to be offered nothing more than melt.

This only applies if you are selling wholesale to a reseller, such as a dealer. Otherwise premiums come into play.

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

I would pay more because it is authenticated. Not for MS70 stuff but a slab is better than no slab.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USASoccer said:
    I would pay more because it is authenticated. Not for MS70 stuff but a slab is better than no slab.

I agree. You can often find MS69 gold for just a few dollars more than its raw counterpart.

• Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the comments! My coins were graded MS67 and MS66 both have TrueView pics, although the pics don't show the true luster of the coins. Their numbers are 84227060 & 84227061 respectively. Since the MS67 is one of three "top pop" I thought it would bring more than spot but I can't find a price for them anywhere, even PCGS.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

@Saam said:

Since the MS67 is one of three "top pop" I thought it would bring more than spot but I can't find a price for them anywhere, even PCGS.

That is because most people don't have money to burn by submitting bullion to be slabbed.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

@Saam said:
    Thanks for all the comments! My coins were graded MS67 and MS66 both have TrueView pics, although the pics don't show the true luster of the coins. Their numbers are 84227060 & 84227061 respectively. Since the MS67 is one of three "top pop" I thought it would bring more than spot but I can't find a price for them anywhere, even PCGS.

Slabbed gold is a narrow market and slabbed foreign gold is even more so.

A way to visualize the slabbed foreign gold bullion market in the US (this is an opinion and is based upon limited cursory research of Maples):

Think of a funnel and the first bullet is the opening.

-modern gold bullion coin
    -foreign gold (even though Canada is basically right next door)
    -slabbed
    -grade

As the funnel narrows the number of collectors/stackers gets smaller.

I’d check around with some sites in Canada. I have not checked nor do I know; but, it might be a big thing up there for slabbed Maples.

Checked the PCGS registry for Maples and there appears to be very little activity for the $10 Maple. There is only one registered. You can add yours and be in the top five as number two.

If you had slabbed AGE’s then there are all kinds of demand for 70s for registry set competitors and some spend big bucks. Even the ASE’s! :o

My 2c

• Options
    MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

@asheland said:

I'd argue that Pandas from the 1980s-1990s decade are collector coins rather than bullion. Most older Pandas sell for higher premiums over their metal content. The vintage Pandas had mintages of 200,000 or less. Vintage Pandas also have many die varieties, making them popular with collectors. Most vintage Pandas don't grade higher than MS66. The China Mint's quality control was horrible during the 1980s-1990s. Many gold Pandas from that era have copper spots and abrasions. Vintage Pandas are probably the best modern coins to collect because of their low mintages, scarcity in the highest grades, and die varieties. The 1983-1985 Pandas were proof issues that sell for thousands of dollars. I believe Geckster109 did a video on how ridiculously expensive the early Pandas can be.

Most Pandas from the 2000s decade are just bullion coins. The China Mint's quality control improved, resulting in many coins grading MS69 or MS70. Starting in 2010, the mintages were increased to the millions. Modern Pandas are no different to any other bullion coin.

• Options

there's only 9 grades in the pop report.
    to get more than melt for those you need to find someone that values them as 66 and 67. unfortunately, that seems to be very few.

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 274 ✭✭✭

I would think that any certified coin in a holder would be more liquid when selling via the Internet. I can’t imagine buying uncertified coins from a private party with only the seller’s word and photos as proof of authenticity.

I doubt that the grade on a bullion ML would affect the price significantly.

• Options

@davidk said:
    I doubt that the grade on a bullion ML would affect the price significantly.

and this is what the complaint covers.

one is top pop though. of course, you aren't a graded ML collector so offering melt seems fair to you.

and finding someone that collects graded ML will require some effort.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrMonkeySwag96 said:

@asheland said:

I'd argue that Pandas from the 1980s-1990s decade are collector coins rather than bullion. Most older Pandas sell for higher premiums over their metal content. The vintage Pandas had mintages of 200,000 or less. Vintage Pandas also have many die varieties, making them popular with collectors. Most vintage Pandas don't grade higher than MS66. The China Mint's quality control was horrible during the 1980s-1990s. Many gold Pandas from that era have copper spots and abrasions. Vintage Pandas are probably the best modern coins to collect because of their low mintages, scarcity in the highest grades, and die varieties. The 1983-1985 Pandas were proof issues that sell for thousands of dollars. I believe Geckster109 did a video on how ridiculously expensive the early Pandas can be.

Most Pandas from the 2000s decade are just bullion coins. The China Mint's quality control improved, resulting in many coins grading MS69 or MS70. Starting in 2010, the mintages were increased to the millions. Modern Pandas are no different to any other bullion coin.

Very true. I have a 1993 silver Panda and it cost many multiples of the silver price. I do like those older Pandas though...