Home Precious Metals
Options

Gone Gold

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Sold off my last few ounces of the AGE's yesterday, including my Buffalo Proof. Served its purpose and the prospects for investment vs time wasn't worth it to me. I really shall miss it.

Deemed it a better risk choice than a dip into the growing IRA accounts. Still have various tubes of ASE's.

COA

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still swimming in it. My wife thinks I waste time and money dealing with it. I think she's right.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2019 11:40AM

Yup, I hear you guys loud and clear. I'm stuck with a whole bunch of gold waiting for something to happen !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sitting on a little wish it was more, but if I squint and count every other finger....I could say what I have has paid for itself.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

For now, still holding these heavy little “things” and the space they take up. ;):)

Agree @tneig don’t mess with the retirement stuff until you have to.

• Options
    roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

im steady buying still but finding ways to buy cheap. That's the fun part

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll be back...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy high and sell low. Whatever works for you. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's what happens when you only collect bullion, my Carson City $10 and $20 liberty golds have went up thousands of dollars since I bought them, buy coins that have numismatic value and you don't have to worry what the spot gold price is so much

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a lot of gold acquired when prices were in the 3-4 hundred dollar range.... no need to sell. I did sell a couple of Britannia sets at gold peak (close to $2000/oz)....and they also were purchased at the early rates...I will hold my gold... no need to sell now...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Ricko; That's great you got G at those prices. Wow.
    I came in during the spike where I don't have that safety margin and thus a slightly different view point. For me it then turned into 'pre-retirement, laid-off, needed cash' time, which fully served its purpose. Not sure there's all solid legs under the current price. In recent times, emergency cash is doing better.

Silver is another story. I can still jingle those in my hand. But the weight of an AGE will be missed.

@ricko said:
    I have a lot of gold acquired when prices were in the 3-4 hundred dollar range.... no need to sell. I did sell a couple of Britannia sets at gold peak (close to $2000/oz)....and they also were purchased at the early rates...I will hold my gold... no need to sell now...Cheers, RickO

COA
  • Options
    dan_marinellidan_marinelli Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

I'm sitting at about 27 ozs of au right now, a mix of us pre-33, AGE, US commem, and foreign. Short term goal is to get to 2 pounds of the stuff. Bought some at ~350/oz when it started creeping up. Still buying here and there when it's cheap. It is less than 5% of our net worth so don't think I am over-weight in AU. Hopefully the kids will have to figure out what to do with it. I like looking at it, but most of it is in SD box in MD. I live in FL!

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan_marinelli said:
    I'm sitting at about 27 ozs of au right now, a mix of us pre-33, AGE, US commem, and foreign. Short term goal is to get to 2 pounds of the stuff. Bought some at ~350/oz when it started creeping up. Still buying here and there when it's cheap. It is less than 5% of our net worth so don't think I am over-weight in AU. Hopefully the kids will have to figure out what to do with it. I like looking at it, but most of it is in SD box in MD. I live in FL!

You've exceeded your goal. There's 12 Troy ounces in one Troy pound.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2019 8:10PM

@PerryHall said:

@dan_marinelli said:

@dan_marinelli

Have to ask. Is that 27 oz or 27 toz?

Edit to doodle:

-27 toz is 2 t lb 3 toz

Or,

-27 oz is 24.61 toz; 24.61 toz is 2 t lb ~6/10 toz

Either way goal is achieved for 2 t lb.

Unless were only using avoirdupois units:

-27 oz is 1 lb 11 oz

So, 5 oz short of 2 lbs.

Done doodling. ✏️

——-

All is good because it’s gold!

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only 2 oz's to go. Congrats in advance!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@PerryHall said:

@dan_marinelli said:

@dan_marinelli

Edit to doodle:

-27 toz is 2 t lb 3 toz

Or,

-27 oz is 1 lb 11 oz

So, 5 oz short of 2 lbs.

Done doodling. ✏️

——-

Is there one t oz in an AGE or just an ounce? I've not distinguished between these before. Is the spot price for t oz, or oz? When I buy a 2 peso Mexican is it .04824 t oz, or oz?

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold Eagles -> 1 troy ounce of gold alloyed with copper and silver to make the coin weight more than 1 troy ounce. The added copper and gold also make them 22 Karat.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan_marinelli said:

@Hemispherical said:

@PerryHall said:

@dan_marinelli said:

@dan_marinelli

Edit to doodle:

-27 toz is 2 t lb 3 toz

Or,

-27 oz is 1 lb 11 oz

So, 5 oz short of 2 lbs.

Done doodling. ✏️

——-

Is there one t oz in an AGE or just an ounce? I've not distinguished between these before. Is the spot price for t oz, or oz? When I buy a 2 peso Mexican is it .04824 t oz, or oz?

Gold eagles have a full troy ounce in them.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2019 8:24AM

@dan_marinelli

Agree with previous posts, @MsMorrisine and @asheland, AGE has 1 toz of Au. The added silver and copper is to make it a bit less malleable. An AGE when weighed will be over 1 toz total.

Specs from the US Mint:

Composition: 91.67% Gold, 3% Silver, Balance Copper
    Diameter: 1.287 inches (32.70 mm)
    Weight: 1.0909 troy oz. (33.931 grams)

So, 1 toz of gold and 0.0909 of silver and copper.

Edit to add: Spot price of PM is normally in toz or grams unless otherwise specified.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    @dan_marinelli

Agree with previous posts, @MsMorrisine and @asheland, AGE has 1 toz of Au. The added silver and copper is to make it a bit less malleable. An AGE when weighed will be over 1 toz total.

Specs from the US Mint:

Edit to add: Spot price of PM is normally in toz or grams unless otherwise specified.

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I've been calculating in t oz all this time. Still going to buy more, however!

• Options

@dan_marinelli said:

@Hemispherical said:
    @dan_marinelli

Specs from the US Mint:

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I've been calculating in t oz all this time. Still going to buy more, however!

Oh yes! More gold is good gold!

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

I reached my lifetime stacking goal earlier this month - it took 10 1/2 years.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OnlyGoldIsMoney said:

Congratulations! I'm sure it is quite the collection as I've noticed your affinity for the nicest of PMs.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OnlyGoldIsMoney said:

And now you will probably spend the rest of your life trying to figure out the best way to dispose of it!

----- kj
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 8:01PM

@tincup said:

@OnlyGoldIsMoney said:

And now you will probably spend the rest of your life trying to figure out the best way to dispose of it!

Indeed I will...most likely an ounce a month over a very long retirement.