Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

SOLD: 1790 Austrian Netherlands Insurrection coinage 2-liards, NGC MS63 BN

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

*** SOLD ***

From my "Eclectic Box" collection. Asking $250 (my cost), plus actual shipping cost to your address, but I will listen to reasonable counteroffers (or trade offers of PCGS coins).

This same coin sold for $305.50 in its last auction appearance in 2015.

Belgium (Austrian Netherlands): copper 2 liards (2 Oorden); Insurrection coinage, 1790

(NGC MS63 BN; population 3 with 5 higher as of 5/1/2019.)

Ample traces of original mint red remain, considering the BN designation.

Obverse: 4-Line inscription within wreath, date and mintmark (angel head=Brussels) below.

(Translation of obverse legend: AD USUM FŒDERATI BELGII = "For use in the Belgian Federation".)

Reverse: Rampant lion right with staff.

Note that NGC holdered this coin with its "lion" side forward, while the Krause catalog lists it with the wreath/inscription side as the obverse, following the convention that the side with a country's name is considered the obverse of a coin. Though Krause is arguably "correct", I personally agree with NGC this particular time, and find the lion side more prominent as an "obverse". However, I have followed the Krause nomenclature in describing the sides.

KM45, copper, Brussels mint (angel head mintmark). NGC MS63 BN, cert. #3721213-017. Ex-@zohar (Collectors Universe), via private purchase, 11/25/2016. Prior provenance to Heritage Numismatic Auctions, Weekly World and Ancient Coin Auction #231550, Lot #62102, December, 2015.

This late-18th century coin of the Brabant Revolution is a lovely Mint State example with hints of the original red luster, and features a simple but strong design. It is also an interesting historical relic of the insurrection which occurred in the Austrian Netherlands (modern-day Belgium) between October 1789 and December 1790, concurrently with the more widely-known French Revolution of the same period. This insurrection resulted in the temporary overthrow of Austrian rule and the creation of a short-lived independent republic (the United Belgian States) from 1789 to 1790.

Though short-lived, this brief independence gave its citizens their first taste of freedom. Austrian control was reestablished, but that too was brief. The region was overrun by French armies during the wars of the French Revolution, and annexed by France in 1795. Yet still the idea of independence was not forgotten, and in 1830, the inhabitants arose in the Belgian Revolution, creating the modern state of Belgium.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Nice coin. I like the history behind it. I have always like the Lion designs on Dutch (Austrian, Belgian, etc) coinage. I have a 1739 duit with a similar design.