Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How and when to start buying my first coin

@Hemispherical @ricko and at any others. I want to buy a coin, just a coin. A dollar coin. Silver or the like. Haven’t gotten far enough to know yet what my true desire is. However I do love the 1900-1999 Lincoln cent time frame. My thing is I know the desire and eye appeal lies in the highly MS 65 and up range(which I too admire) as the “sought after”. It’s actually the well defined mysterious raw Lincoln’s that I have an attraction for. And I do like the Browns, the tones, etc etc. it’s the wonder of all the hands and pockets that they have traveled through and yet still hold their shape. I have plenty like this and it’s the ones that I like to hold and search. The ones that got overlooked so to speak. Anyway m, it’s people like Hemispherical and Ricko and a few others that have kinda been in my view whenever I post something ignorant or well just ignorant. Lol that I really want to tell me what is a good choice between a Lincoln cent or a silver/half dollar or old nickle

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

A price range of what you are looking to spend might give others a good idea what to recommend.

• Options
    JeffnluJeffnlu Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭

I like Peace dollars. They are large, silver, beautiful coins. It is a twenty four coin run for the entire set. You can buy quite a few of them in uncirculated condition for around $25 or so.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can buy a very nice PCGS Morgan in the $60 range on Ebay.

Warning though--you will be hooked.

• Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2019 5:19PM

I would vote the Peace Dollar or Buffalo Nickel.

Both are iconic series that you will never tire of owning.

You can get a common date Morgan in PCGS MS 65 for $100 to $120 with some careful shopping..

A common Peace Dollar in PCGS MS 65 for a little bit less.

Buffalo Nickels in high grade can be had cheaply. A common 1938d in MS65 or MS 66 can be bought from $50 to less than $100.

You can find Lincolns for every budget. The proof coins can be stunners as well.

They all are stunning in high grade and a wonderful coin to start a series collection or a 20th century type collection.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2019 5:39PM

Peace dollars rock. They really look best at MS64 and up. Look for one that has nice luster and detail. The common dates would be the Philly issues of 1922, 1923, 1924, and 1925.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lyndag ... A collection is something personal, and really, only you can/should make that decision. Look at the coins, go to a show/shop and pick them up... see what you keep returning to....Learn the fundamentals of that coin so you understand the history and design. That is a beginning.... certainly you may focus on a type to begin with.. most of us have. Nothing says you cannot have more than one interest... you could even build a set of all U.S. coins - one of each. As I said, the decision is yours.... Above all, have fun...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Buy, first coin, dollar, silver - these all said proof Eisenhower dollar to me. Beautiful coin, surface like a mirror, probably can still get one for 15 bucks.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lyndag

You pretty much summed up what you liked to do in your last statement, “...a good choice between a Lincoln cent or a silver/half dollar or old nickle (sic.)”

-cents

-silver halves (prior to 1971)

-nickels

Many have already posted good advice.

Being that I collect and stack, and given the three choices listed, and to appease both (collecting and stacking) I might personally do halves.

Maybe a series of:

Frankies or Walkers; Kennedy’s (silver in ‘64 to ‘70), or

a cent, nickel, and half of certain year(s) of your choosing, or

pick the coin based upon your current holdings. What do you have the most of now?

Really tough to figure out what YOU would like to do.

But, whichever you choose remember you can always change your mind.

Finally, remember it’s a hobby (except stacking) and always have fun!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like a graded common Buffalo nickel or silver dollar in decent MS grade (MS64 or higher, for example) that has great eye appeal. It is the kind of coin that a new collector (and many experienced ones) can marvel at all day long, wondering how a great coin in that kind of condition can still exist so many years after it was issued, and be obtained at such a reasonable price.

Just don't overpay and you'll have some eye candy that you'll appreciate for the sheer beauty as much as any rare coin.

• Options
    LyndagLyndag Posts: 99 ✭✭

Thanks to each and every one of you for the nice comments. I agree with y’all. But am curious to know what does stack refer to. As in collect and stack @Hemispherical And I will be chiming in on the forums as often as I can. It has been a very useful tool when I needed good advice or constructive criticism/suggestions.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lyndag

Stacking, slang for obtaining precious metals not necessarily coins; and can be in various shapes and sizes.

Check the PM forum for examples.

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/precious-metals

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hemispherical nailed it.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

A set of the "classic" coin designs would be a good goal-1909 VDB 1c; 1913 Var 1 Buff 5c; 1916 Mercury dime; 1917 Var 1 Standing Liberty 25c; 1917 Walker; and a Peace dollar. None of these will "break the bank" in AU-mid MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file