Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1951 Yankees Signed Ball

No idea if real or not. Just looking for rough opinions on worth the time to even pursue it.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a bunch of printed sigs vs authentic autos to me, with the way the sigs are laid out.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Looks like a bunch of printed sigs vs authentic autos to me, with the way the sigs are laid out.

That's what I was thinking as well. Too evenly spaced, all the same sized, etc.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Too risky.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't take the chance on it, unless I was 100% sure. I'd have to pass.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a stamped ball to me.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Agree. Looks like stamped facsimile autos

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it me or does the Mickey Mantle signature look strange. Maybe it is a very early version of his signature, but it doesn't look right.

• Options

I always thought Mantle signed his M's with the famous banana curl.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2019 4:10PM

@doubledragon said:

In the early 50's, his sig was way less flamboyant.

Mike
  • Options

Stone’s right.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@Stone193 said:

@doubledragon said:

In the early 50's, his sig was way less flamboyant.

I'll be darned! Right there in front of me the whole time. I still have a lot to learn about this hobby! 😉

• Options
    edited May 1, 2019 2:13AM

You think the signatures could be real?

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

As others have mentioned, it's a souvenir baseball with facsimile/machine stamped signatures that was sold at souvenir stands...

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

that appears to be a stamped ball you would purchase at the stadium as a souvenir.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

Appears as a stamped ball to me as well, but I had no idea they went back that far. In the 80's you could find them all over the place at stadiums.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I have my dad's collection of these balls. He has every major league team from about 1961. All but three are stamped. The Braves are one that is not stamped, so those signatures are pretty neat. Still cool to see the stamped signatures of all of those guys from that era in one place.
    kevin

• Options

@Ironmanfan said:

@doubledragon said:

As others have mentioned, it's a souvenir baseball with facsimile/machine stamped signatures that was sold at souvenir stands...

IMF

What does IMF mean?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@Ironmanfan said:

@doubledragon said:

IMF

What does IMF mean?

I'm gonna go out on a wild limb here with a crazy guess that it might be Iron Man Fan.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@Ironmanfan said:

@doubledragon said:

IMF

What does IMF mean?

I'm gonna go out on a wild limb here with a crazy guess that it might be Iron Man Fan.

Ok. Thanks. Man, I didn't get much sleep last night. My wife has the jimmy elbows when she sleeps. She got me in the ribs, and I couldn't get back to sleep.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@Ironmanfan said:

@doubledragon said:

IMF

What does IMF mean?

Ok. Thanks. Man, I didn't get much sleep last night. My wife has the jimmy elbows when she sleeps. She got me in the ribs, and I couldn't get back to sleep.

Does your wife know you complain about her so much on the internet? Careful, she might box your ears!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@dontippet said:
    Appears as a stamped ball to me as well, but I had no idea they went back that far. In the 80's you could find them all over the place at stadiums.

I did know they went back to around 1967, but I too am surprised to see one from the early 50’s. Unless it was produced in the 60s or 70s to commemorate what were some pretty special teams in the early 50’s.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@Ironmanfan said:

@doubledragon said:

IMF

What does IMF mean?

Does your wife know you complain about her so much on the internet? Careful, she might box your ears!

No, thank goodness! If she did, I would definately be cruisin for a bruisin!

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@dontippet said:

I did know they went back to around 1967, but I too am surprised to see one from the early 50’s. Unless it was produced in the 60s or 70s to commemorate what were some pretty special teams in the early 50’s.

Sounds very plausible, but don't you think if it was made in the 60's or later, they would have probably used Mantle's current autograph, since that would have been more readily available and known?

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2019 11:20AM

@doubledragon said:

I’m no expert on authenticity (even more so without it in hand) but my guess is it’s not a ‘full’ 1951 team ball if it doesn’t have Joe DiMaggio, especially on the sweet spot. Possibly/probably a 1952 team ball.

As for Mickey’s signature, that’s his from his early days. He has around three (to four) variations that you’ll see. Sports Collectors Digest did a great article showing the variance.

https://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/mickey-mantle-autographs-forgeries/

I have a Rawlings Black and White 8x10 in the ‘60/70s’ style of signature from the old stadium (Steiner) and a 1962 Yankees Team Issue in the ‘Card Show’ style that became the most recognizable and enduring of his signatures.

If memory serves, Rawlings, Hillerich and Bradsby (maker of Louisville Slugger ) and Topps all required players to submit a signature (and often just lifted from the contract) for use on their products so that ‘early’ type Mickey signature is not just on 52 Topps but many gloves and bats, too; my 1951 World Series NYY Black Bat has that rookie signature. (All three pictured, w/Black Bat closeup)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@doubledragon said:

I’m no expert on authenticity (even more so without it in hand) but my guess is it’s not a ‘full’ 1951 team ball if it doesn’t have Joe DiMaggio, especially on the sweet spot. Possibly/probably a 1952 team ball.

As for Mickey’s signature, that’s his from his early days. He has around three (to four) variations that you’ll see. Sports Collectors Digest did a great article showing the variance.

https://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/mickey-mantle-autographs-forgeries/

I have a Rawlings Black and White 8x10 in the ‘60/70s’ style of signature from the old stadium (Steiner) and a 1962 Yankees Team Issue in the ‘Card Show’ style that became the most recognizable and enduring of his signatures.

If memory serves, Rawlings, Hillerich and Bradsby (maker of Louisville Slugger ) and Topps all required players to submit a signature (and often just lifted from the contract) for use on their products so that ‘early’ type Mickey signature is not just on 52 Topps but many gloves and bats, too; my 1951 World Series NYY Black Bat has that rookie signature. (All three pictured, w/Black Bat closeup)

Great article. Thanks for the link. Also a very nice Mantle collection you have.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the ball may be represented as a '51 signed team ball?

I wonder.

They have Casey and Mickey on the sweet spot.

I'm gonna guess, in 1951, Joe D. or Casey would most likely be on the sweet spot. The Mick was a rookie and I would find it hard to believe anyone would've had him sign it there?

So, I wouldn't be surprised if this ball is later than '51.

I wonder what the ball would sell for as a "fax" ball?

Mantle's sig on ball in 1951:

Mike
  • Options
    pomobileclkpomobileclk Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2019 4:42PM

I see Bob Turley on the OPs ball so it is at least a 1955 ball