Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My '55 Proof set came in today!

Hey guys just wanted to post pics of my toned 1955 proof set I got today!

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420

Are you collecting mint sets or is the year special for you?

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice based on the pic. Appear to be no spots, nice rim toning on silver coins. Cannot see any hairlines, but hard to tell from a photo that small. Nice "old school" proof set holder to boot.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set - where did you get it from?

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    SilverEagle420SilverEagle420 Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    @SilverEagle420

I was looking for a 55 for a buddy,, but this one went up for a $69 price, so with the toning I figured I couldnt go wrong,, I will try to take some more close up pics

• Options

@Bob13 said:

Hah don't shame me,, but Ebay lol

• Options
    edited April 29, 2019 9:57PM

I think the quarter may be a CAM

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Bob13 said:

Hah don't shame me,, but Ebay lol

Nothing wrong with that, 95% of my stuff comes from there.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

All the "hairlines" I can see seem to be on the plastic case

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's it! I'm making an appointment with the eye doctor tomorrow! B)

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    That's it! I'm making an appointment with the eye doctor tomorrow! B)

Lol I think its jus my blurry pics :P that plastic combined with the flashy proofs makes for a bad pic

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice proof set.

I like the toning and the look of the obverse of the quarter.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Nice proof set.

I agree! I was gonna sell it but I like them enough I'm starting to wonder if I should put them in a real holder ;)

• Options

@SilverEagle420 said:

The hard plastic is doing it’s job.

When it comes to these Capital type holders (this is not a Capital that I can see) I like to check for fingerprints on the coins. Fingerprints and these type of holder seem to like each other. :D

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

do yourself a favor and spend a few dollars on a nice, new Capital holder with the felt pouch and transfer the coins to it. these pictures don't do what I will assume is a nice set any justice.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @keets... a nice Capital holder will improve the appearance of the set... be careful when transferring the coins (gloves will help)...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

When it comes to these Capital type holders (this is not a Capital that I can see) I like to check for fingerprints on the coins. Fingerprints and these type of holder seem to like each other. :D

Yea unfortunately the half has 3 partial prints on the reverse that have toned over,, and the penny has a partial print on the reverse as well, and no I dont think this is a capital. As far as I know the capital holders have engraving to tell you what coins they are

• Options

@keets said:
    do yourself a favor and spend a few dollars on a nice, new Capital holder with the felt pouch and transfer the coins to it. these pictures don't do what I will assume is a nice set any justice.

Were can I pick up a newer capital holder?? I'm worried Ebay will have old junk ones,, cause I literally couldnt take a pic to do them justice. Such beautiful rainbow toning needs to be displayed haha,, or does pcgs offer set holders??

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:

@SanctionII said:
    Nice proof set.

I agree! I was gonna sell it but I like them enough I'm starting to wonder if I should put them in a real holder ;)

Well ... so much for your buddy! ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@astrorat said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

@SanctionII said:
    Nice proof set.

Well ... so much for your buddy! ;)

Unless he offers like 200 I'll likely keep it, most I see for 150 have no toning

• Options

Ok so there are brand new capital holders on ebay,, sooo should I put them in a black or white with the toning on em

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2019 8:35AM

I found a raw 55 proof set once that knocked my socks off. The quarter and dime were just as colorful. I had to buy it. It essentially kicked off my coin collecting hobby. Before the proof set, I was mainly buying 90% silver and trying to finish off a Franklin album.
    I still have the half, the rest of the set is long gone...
    photo 103_1847.jpg

photo 103_2172.jpg

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are reasons why it was so cheap. Not bad for a birth year set, however.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@Meltdown said:
    I found a raw 55 proof set once that knocked my socks off. The quarter and dime were just as colorful. I had to buy it. It essentially kicked off my coin collecting hobby. Before the proof set, I was mainly buying 90% silver and trying to finish off a Franklin album.
    I still have the half, the rest of the set is long gone...
    photo 103_1847.jpg

photo 103_2172.jpg

That is deff a pretty franklin!!

• Options
    edited April 30, 2019 9:19AM

These are my Kennedys

• Options
    edited April 30, 2019 9:10AM

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

Yea unfortunately the half has 3 partial prints on the reverse that have toned over,, and the penny has a partial print on the reverse as well, and no I dont think this is a capital. As far as I know the capital holders have engraving to tell you what coins they are

Wizard Coin Supply comes to mind when it comes to new Capital Holders.

@SilverEagle420 said:
    Ok so there are brand new capital holders on ebay,, sooo should I put them in a black or white with the toning on em

There is also red, if you can find them.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Hemispherical said:
    @SilverEagle420

I was looking for a 55 for a buddy,, but this one went up for a $69 price, so with the toning I figured I couldnt go wrong,, I will try to take some more close up pics

When it comes time to sell you will find the toning will bring you little or no premium. It is just a common date proof set with ever shrinking demand. People born in 1955 don't care about getting birthday coin sets anymore (if they ever did) as they are now well into their 60's. You need to get much more selective in your purchases. Don't pay premiums for lightly toned "stuff" you hear talked up and hyped on these boards.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@SilverEagle420 said:

@Hemispherical said:
    @SilverEagle420

When it comes time to sell you will find the toning will bring you little or no premium. It is just a common date proof set with ever shrinking demand. People born in 1955 don't care about getting birthday coin sets anymore (if they ever did) as they are now well into their 60's. You need to get much more selective in your purchases. Don't pay premiums for lightly toned "stuff" you hear talked up and hyped on these boards.

Wow, do you have any joy or fun in your life whatsoever????? For $69, he got something he enjoyed and probably isn't looking to sell it any time soon, and certainly not for retirement savings. Your posting makes it sound like he paid $6.9K and sunk his life forever. Jeez, makes me afraid to post my toned cents I paid five bucks for, you'd probably throw acid rain on that too.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like my proofs as they were intended to be - brilliant.

thefinn
  • Options

Well I ended up ordering a white capital holder for em :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file