Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why does coins often use a great man as a pattern?

karenrenkarenren Posts: 78
edited April 28, 2019 5:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Why does coins often use a great man as a pattern? Are there any other patterns?

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a woman. Lady Liberty.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019 1:00PM

Indeed, a Miss Anna Willess Williams (1857-1926) of Philadelphia:

Earlier picture removed at the express direction of Mr. Roger Burdette, who claims some rights to this image. However, the original source states the image is in the public domain.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

We all look alike :D

• Options

@Hemispherical There is a women in this coin, but I mean that there are many coins using the portrait of famous person .

• Options

@BillDugan1959 She looks kind and genial. :)

• Options

@Justacommeman She is indeed a lady . ;)

• Options

@karenren Miss Williams was a longtime school teacher, never married. Her role as a model in the Morgan project is well-documented, see Wikipedia. She also modeled for the artist Thomas Eakins, who recommended her to Mr. Morgan. Her profile was considered 'perfectly Classical' by those artists. She later dismissed her early modeling as a youthful misadventure.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

pre-20th century, most U.S. coins were neo-classical designs.
    Starting with the Lincoln Cent, most circulating U.S. coins from then on have been "memorial" coins.

• Options

@ BillDugan1959 I see, thank you for your explanation. :)

• Options

@jmlanzaf what is neo-classical designs?

• Options

@karenren said:
    @jmlanzaf what is neo-classical designs?

Neo-classical designs are the resurrection of themes from Classical Roman and Greek times. The Liberty images are resurrections of Greek and Roman liberty motifs. Things like oak leaves, eagles and the like are resurrections of Green and Roman motifs.

• Options

The French artist Jean-Antoine Houdon did a marble statue of George Washington from life (delivered 1796), and the bust from that statue was the later basis for Flanigan's portrait on the Washington Quarter. The following circulation coin portraits were in much the same style, and you might call the present coin portrait style 'Houdonesque'.

Or you might not.

• Options

@jmlanzaf I understand. :) Thanks!

• Options

@BillDugan1959 Houdonesque? I get a new word and a new definition.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

The designers are paying tribute to Presidents of the past is why a lot of coins have men on them.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

@1Mike1 Maybe. :)

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I really wish they would stop with the 'dead president' themes and all current depictions of people on coins... return to art.... Cheers, RickO

Agree. I'd also like to see endangered species on circulating coins.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why don't we just agree from here on out to substitute the term "ex-president" instead of " dead president? " I think it has a better ring to it. Somewhat more respectful. As one of our ex-presidents might have put it......KINDER AND GENTLER.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the first 120-150 years of our nation's coinage (depending on the denomination), we HAD female images almost exclusively on them....then we went to ex-presidents + Franklin. Then with the dollar coin we had Suzie Anthony and Sacagawea.
    Seems both groups have gotten plenty of 'face time'....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019 3:43PM

One of my favorite alts in quite awhile

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Heather’s back :)

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

We should start calling her Elmer Fudd.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

WooooHoooo! No more challenge coin promoting! Thanks Heather! :)

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:

@Hemispherical said:

We should start calling her Elmer Fudd.

Took a bit longer than a second for it click. :D

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

Well... as long as this is still on the front page... I swear that the figure on the Barber dime, quarter and half looks like a dude to me. I suppose if I squint and admire the Phrygian cap, I can see a classically good-looking lady. What's the real deal, tho?

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019 5:19PM

It's not clear why so many US coins have Franco-Neo Classical portraits with fat cheeks and jowls. The Victorian ideal of female beauty was much chubbier than the 20th century version. Here is a more balanced portrait by William Barber that predates Morgan or the later W Barber dollar designs. This is J-1457.

[Courtesy HA.com]

• Options

@RogerB said:
    It's not clear why so many US coins have Franco-Neo Classical portraits with fat cheeks and jowls. The Victorian ideal of female beauty was much chubbier than the 20th century version. Here is a more balanced portrait by William Barber that predates Morgan or the later W Barber dollar designs. This is J-1457.

[Courtesy HA.com]

Just a stunning portrait.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did I miss some bongo bongoing ?!

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:
    Did I miss some bongo bongoing ?!

Mrs Bongo Bongo perhaps.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019 6:40PM

Director Linderman was on the verge of using Barber's portrait (above) for the proposed standard silver dollar, when he learned the Morgan had arrived. From there forward everything changed.

Curiously, only only 4 months after Morgan's dollar entered production, Linderman was complaining about the Old English lettering and other things -- even thought they has been present on all the spread-wing half and dollar patterns by Morgan and W Barber.

I also wonder why our "ideal Liberty" portraits were so backward when the Wyons could produce such beautiful coin designs as this:

[HA.com]

And American sculptor Hiram Powers could turn out neo-classical busts like this in the 1840-50s.

[Gibbs Museum]

Were/are we so backward?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn! No more super fantastic, very "delicate" custom challenge coins.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Heather. And who ever else is involved. Obvious from the start. THANK YOU!!

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    dude looks like a lady

m

Or in the case of Barber coinage, "Lady Looks like a Dude". When I was a kid, I used to think "Barber" was the name of the dude on the coin :D

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

@Justacommeman said:
    dude looks like a lady

m

Or in the case of Barber coinage, "Lady Looks like a Dude". When I was a kid, I used to think "Barber" was the name of the dude on the coin :D

Me too!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were/are we so backward?

Artistically, yes. That's why the American Art Union was formed in 1839.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Art-Union

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file