Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this 1876 CC trade dollar a fake?

It appears to be a high grade coin (AU) but has porous surfaces and somewhat granular.
The seller appears to be reputable, and the coin is said to be silver, so I'm wondering if its a cast silver fake, or just a genuine corroded AU?
Trying to get back into coin collecting so any options or feedback would help

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5338461489&mpre=https://www.ebay.com/itm/1876-CC-US-Trade-Dollar-1-AU-Original-Silver-Coin-RARE-KEY-DATE-1462/223491192981?hash=item34091cf895%3Ag%3Ax9gAAOSwU7BcvgGQ&LH_Auction=1

Comments

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't touch it. on the reverse, the dentils are nearly non existent in places and the flat surfaces have a honeycomb look to them. As you pointed out, overall look is porous. If you are getting back into coin collecting, I can't think of a better way to quickly become discouraged than by purchasing raw Trade Dollars, especially CC ones. Fakes abound! Stick to a certified example.

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin also has the kind of shoe polish toning that is common with counterfeits.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s fake.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    It’s fake.

+1

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Skrill90Skrill90 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@kaz said:
    I wouldn't touch it. on the reverse, the dentils are nearly non existent in places and the flat surfaces have a honeycomb look to them. As you pointed out, overall look is porous. If you are getting back into coin collecting, I can't think of a better way to quickly become discouraged than by purchasing raw Trade Dollars, especially CC ones. Fakes abound! Stick to a certified example.

Appreciate the information!! It’s been 7 years since I have collected so there are a lot of new realities for me to circumvent

• santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller may not even know it’s fake. That’s an issue that ought to be limited to slabs. Break it out after you get it if you want it raw.

@santinidollar said:
    The seller may not even know it’s fake. That’s an issue that ought to be limited to slabs. Break it out after you get it if you want it raw.

Good to know, I’ll avoid this series raw...

@Realone said:

@Skrill90 said:

@santinidollar said:

Good to know, I’ll avoid this series raw...

Don't take that approach, its easy to detect, just got to familiarize yourself with the series, and ask questions which you did. This is a well known counterfeit. Its also incredibly easy to detect, especially in hand.

Is there a resource/guide to identify counterfeit coin

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link is no longer active... however, there are many fakes on ebay.... Yes, there are references to help you.. just google 'counterfeit coin books'...There are many covering gold and silver coins.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file